Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Random Discussion Random Discussion
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Does anyone know the electronics of a de-humidifier?

(!)

Computer Specs
Gone and dearly missed with 7,281 posts.

Experience: Fake it, till I make it !
11-Jul-2003, 10:14 AM #1
Does anyone know the electronics of a de-humidifier?
I did a real , dumb , thing yesterday !

the dehumidifier was running and the cord was in the way of getting the vaccum cleaner out of the furnace room .......... so
I unplugged the dehumidifier cord.

Bad Lu ....... bad !! it will not work now .......... it will not turn back on

MIGHT theree be a re-set switch ...... or is that too much to hope for and I broke it?

Any help appreciated
Lu
Senior Member with 2,798 posts.

Experience: I get by with a little help from my friends!
11-Jul-2003, 10:41 AM #2
First check the Breaker box and make sure the fuse didn't trip!
Check the cord to make sure there aren't any cuts in it preventing it from getting power.
Look over entire machine for a reset button!

Sorry that's all I got!

Take care Chari

Edit If it is a two ended plug, where one plug goes into machine and one end into the wall, make sure the little plug is in the back of the machine
Senior Member with 1,298 posts.

11-Jul-2003, 12:48 PM #3
Try these steps.

http://www.teevax.com/services/FAQ_dehumidifier.htm

Some dehumidifiers might have reset buttons, probably be on the back, lil red button. Others it might have the function built into the On / Off switch. A number of appliances are set up that way. So if you haven't try cycling the On / Off switch a couple of times too. More than likely it is one of the causes given in the above.

Also if there are any lights or whatever, should tell you if it is getting power.

First you got to know it has power, then what else it needs to run. If you still have the instruction manual, is a super good place to start. When all else fails, Read the Instructions.
Member with 3,420 posts.

Experience: Format C:? Okay...
11-Jul-2003, 01:19 PM #4
Also, check to make sure the outlet breaker didn't pop. Plug something else that you know is working into the same outlet.
Computer Specs

11-Jul-2003, 02:53 PM #5
First thing I did was to check the breaker ... and no it didn't trip , so then I plugged a trouble lamp into that plug to make sure it worked and it did ........ so no I will look to tha t web site ......

Thanks for the help group!

11-Jul-2003, 03:37 PM #6
Depending on how big this dehumifier is; one more thing to know.

A number of appliances like refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners, etc. have a sort of relay that actually starts them.

This is a complicated little gizmo that also has a thermal overload built in that automatically does the reset function some smaller appliances do with that manual reset button. On some appliances it will try to start and trip out, on others it will never start, if this relay goes bad. The size of the appliance normally determines if you will have this relay.

You pull open the cover somehow and look for a black box with a bunch of wires going in / out, usually it is in the back, mounted down low. On most refrigerators, you can see it just by pulling off the lower front panel under the door. Some appliances have an opening where you can reach in and touch it on the back.

If you have one of these relays, to test it. Unplug the power cord, get a long piece of wood like a broom or mop handle and poke it hard directly on the front a couple of times, followed by tapping it on the sides a couple of times. Replug the power cord and see if it will start. Never whack it with power applied.

Most of these relays are quite sensitive to the appliance not being mounted exactly level. If you have one, you always want to check for level. It is best to use a small circular level made for the purpose that checks in all directions, 360 degrees. Most are about as big as a 50 cent piece. Most hardware stores, Sears, etc sell them.
Computer Specs

11-Jul-2003, 05:30 PM #7
I'm happy now, All is well & working ........ again.

Thanks Steppingstone, Cosmic, & Thoey
for the help and suggestions.

I did replug it in ..... fiddled with the switch made sure it was on full ... banged around the bucket a bit and heard a click, so I knew I had some power ...... banged alittle more and it started up !

I did get the front cover off ....... but wires, switches thing a majigs etc. put the cover back on and prayed !! ha, ha!

11-Jul-2003, 08:19 PM #8
A-yup, you probably did the bucket thing and there is a micro-switch just like on a coffee maker. That is how it knows don't put out coffee from the top until, you put the carafe in. Your dehumifer has to also have one to know the bucket is in place.

When in doubt always give them a good beating.

Last edited by Cosmic; 12-Jul-2003 at 10:05 AM..
Computer Specs

12-Jul-2003, 09:52 AM #9
Cosmic ....... ya mean , when all else fails !!

12-Jul-2003, 10:27 AM #10
Sometimes you beat them first.

It is the old Muntz TV theory.

Back when TV's where made in the USA, there was this one called Muntz. It was the cheapest one around by far. How did they get it that cheap?

The old joke was the design was done for a good TV, they then started taking out parts until it didn't work any more. They then put the last part back in and sold it as a working TV.

Any problem with a Muntz, first troubleshooting action was to beat it on the top, sides and back with a teddy bear.

All appliances today have a part built in as part of planned obselescent. They have gotten sneaky and less obvious than the old days but the goal is the same. Get you buy a new one. They plan on you not being able to fix it and a repairman costs more than a new one.

I have an old refrigerator that was made by General Motors right after WWII. Only uses about $5 of power a month. They don't make them like they used to. I need a relay, if I can find one should last another 50 years.
Computer Specs

12-Jul-2003, 07:14 PM #11
Cosmic ,

new dehumidifiers are approx $300 .00 last look in Canadian Tire last year ......

the one I have I got from my Dad .... hadn't run for years in his basement ... he couldn't even remember if it worked !

Must be 20 yrs old ........ but it still works Ok for me !

Lu
Always remembered in our hearts with 82,163 posts.

Experience: Learning it all here!
12-Jul-2003, 07:17 PM #12
Just don't leave it on when you aren't home since it acted like this!
Computer Specs

12-Jul-2003, 09:54 PM #13
Thanks for the good advice ...... you're always thinking !!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!