Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Random Discussion Random Discussion
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

know how to find someone without knowing their name?

(!)

Senior Member with 995 posts.

20-Jan-2004, 03:18 AM #1
Question know how to find someone without knowing their name?
hi all,

i have a question... i'm posting it here, and i hope it's not too off topic.
i'm trying desperately to find someone, actually a few people, and i don't know their names. it's a very long sad story, but in short, something happened a year ago and these people were there when it happened. so the only way i can think of to get there names is from the police report. i had read the police report after it happened, but the names were all whited out. i'm not sure if this was because there was a court case pending at that time, or if there was some other reason, like maybe they wanted their names whited out. i hope not.
i do not want to bother them, but if they are willing to speak with me, i want to try. so my question for all of you is-
does anyone have any ideas of where i can start to look for them? they live kind of far from me, about 3 hours or so, and i don't own a car anyways, so i would like to do as much as i can online and over the phone.
any help or ideas is very appreciated.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,592 posts.

20-Jan-2004, 10:34 AM #2
Well...
You are kind of limited in your options, you might try a personal add in the local paper where it happened, or a add in a "nickle saver" type newspaper, about all I can think of...Rhett
Member with 27,087 posts.

Experience: The Alpha and Omega
20-Jan-2004, 10:36 AM #3
Hire a PI...
Member with 763 posts.

20-Jan-2004, 10:38 AM #4
I would talk to the Police station who handled the case. They can advise you if the names are available for public knowledge. If not, depending on circumstances, they might be willing to contact the people to see if they have an interest in talking to you.

Above all, remember to respect their privacy and if there is an inkling at all that they would want to remain unfound, leave it that way. Trust your instincts.
Account Disabled with 55,854 posts.

Experience: Need no stinking badges
20-Jan-2004, 01:47 PM #5
Hard to know if this will be helpful, but it is a powerful person search engine

Link

I doubt you're gonna track them down without at least a last name.
Senior Member with 995 posts.

20-Jan-2004, 03:42 PM #6
thanks for the suggestions everyone. i will consider placing an ad. unfortunately, i don't have enough money for a pi.
Ms.PC Genius, i will also try your suggestion.
lanmaster, you are right, that is a great search engine, but i don't even have a first or last name.
i did some more thinking about it, and i was thinking maybe i could post some sort of message on a forum or message board for the area. i would have to find a pretty popular one, but that way they would not have to respond if they felt unconfortable doing so.
thanks again guys.
Member with 4,874 posts.

21-Jan-2004, 01:46 AM #7
....mrs. pcg has the best idea and if you explain it to the police someone should try to do the middleman-thing for you.....good luck
Member with 51,021 posts.

21-Jan-2004, 02:10 AM #8
Re: know how to find someone without knowing their name?
Quote:
Originally posted by Kerri Ann:
hi all,

i have a question... i'm posting it here, and i hope it's not too off topic.
i'm trying desperately to find someone, actually a few people, and i don't know their names. it's a very long sad story, but in short, something happened a year ago and these people were there when it happened. so the only way i can think of to get there names is from the police report. i had read the police report after it happened, but the names were all whited out. i'm not sure if this was because there was a court case pending at that time, or if there was some other reason, like maybe they wanted their names whited out. i hope not.
i do not want to bother them, but if they are willing to speak with me, i want to try. so my question for all of you is-
does anyone have any ideas of where i can start to look for them? they live kind of far from me, about 3 hours or so, and i don't own a car anyways, so i would like to do as much as i can online and over the phone.
any help or ideas is very appreciated.
An investigator could probably find them really quick and fairly cheap. I use them all the time (I'm a lawyer) and its amazing how quickly they can find somebody. Most of the time I know the name, but I would think with the info you have, they could probably get you the police report unaltered (i.e., with the names and addresses) for a few hundred bucks. I see your in California, so PM me if you need the name of a good investigator.

21-Jan-2004, 02:16 AM #9
Re: Re: know how to find someone without knowing their name?
Quote:
Originally posted by Mulder:
so PM me if you need the name of a good investigator.

.....did I mention I was out of work.....
Member with 51,021 posts.

21-Jan-2004, 02:25 AM #10
Re: Re: Re: know how to find someone without knowing their name?
Quote:
Originally posted by combsdon:
.....did I mention I was out of work.....
combsdon--I told her to PM me for the name of a good investigator!

As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!