Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Random Discussion Random Discussion
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Computers for low to no income people

(!)

Member with 74 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
03-Sep-2005, 01:57 AM #1
Computers for low to no income people
I am wondering how do I go by and get a PC that is better than the one I own. I have:

Pentium 2 233mHz processor
130 MB SDRAM
2 Hard Drives 1 40gig and 1 1.5gig HDs

I do have an XBOX because someone gave that to me as a gift, and I pay $4.95 a month of XBOX Live. Other than that I am on SSI (Social Security Income) and I'm partically mentally disabled and I can't afford a better PC or an High End PC than the one I already have. I got my PC 2 1/2 years ago from a company that puts together PC for those who can't afford high end ones, I think that company is out of business. With the money I get I can't afford to get the parts to upgrade it. I got an feeling that its on its last legs and I really need some help in this.

My original specs were

Pentium 2 233mHZ processor
96 MB SDRAM
1.5 gig hard drive
Windows 95 OS

I got the 40gig hard drive from working for a friend that installed cat 5 lines in a office in Washington DC and I did the non technical stuff and I even broke my arm when I was there by falling off a ladder because the shoes I wore had no traction and a carpet cleaning crew was there cleaning the carpet and the solution was slippery and I lost my balance and broke my right arm in 2 places in 1 area. The people that helped me fix this is either dead or in other states. Kevin helped me by taking my computer back to the place that built it and he got them to give me some better parts to help me use Windows 2000 and the fan used for my processor can't be replaced because the clasps for the fans face outwards and the fan can't be found and the processor itself is big and if the company that built my PC was still here they refuse to help me because the "warrenty period" is over and they would not be able to replace it if they did helped me. Plus the guy that put together this PC is hearing impaired and is hard to talk to over the phone or in person as well and he was somewhat rude to me as well. That is why I asked for help. Like I said I would not be able to afford any PC in any amount. The guy who took me back to get better parts is named Kevin Burgess and he is living in south New Mexico. My other friend who could help me Ryan Trusz died from Brain Cancer. So I don't have anyone to help me. I also asked my governor and my friends mother who is the mayor of Annapolis, Maryland and they have not gotten back to me.

I live in the state of Maryland and I checked every web sites people I asked the same question to suggested to me and those avenues will not work.

Thank you for your help.
cheese cheese is offline   cheese has a birthday soon!
Senior Member with 2,563 posts.

Experience: I find computers attractive.
03-Sep-2005, 11:54 AM #2
Well, you could look in your newspapers classified ads - maybe get a good deal. Or go to a local school district auction, where they auction off all old technology (which would be better then that).
Member with 44,311 posts.

03-Sep-2005, 12:05 PM #3
Wow. What a run of bad luck...
In our area we have a computer rental business called Bit-by-Bit computer rental.
I believe it's nation wide. Anyway, about every six months they sell their used
rentals, which are not that old, and normally have some really good deals.
Do you have one near you?
Computer Specs
Member with 47,118 posts.

Experience: Einstein Jr. Indeed
03-Sep-2005, 01:05 PM #4
goverment surplus.........
Senior Member with 2,246 posts.

Experience: all around tinkerer
03-Sep-2005, 10:09 PM #5
girage sales. i found a 800 mhz for 5$ my brother found 2 400 mhz and a 133 mhz computer in the trash
Rockn Rockn is offline   Rockn has a birthday soon!
Computer Specs
Member with 21,189 posts.

Experience: Disenfranchised American
04-Sep-2005, 12:10 AM #6
Wass a girage? Anyway, some tech schools and other institutions offer low cost or free computers. Even some local non-profits may offer them
Gabriel has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Account Closed with 17,353 posts.

Experience: Can Follow Directions
04-Sep-2005, 12:42 AM #7
If there are any freebie ad papers, maybe an add in one of them in the "looking for" section...maybe you can state you can't pay $, but are looking for a PC from someone that is upgrading to a newer one.....I know that when I'm ready to get a new pc, I will be looking for someone to get this one.
I would also ask at the local library, if they know of anything programwise for low income folks to get a PC. They can be real knowlegeable about community resources.
And maybe posting on billboards your needs....who knows...the PC you are looking for might be looking for you....
Account Disabled with 44,931 posts.

04-Sep-2005, 09:21 AM #8
Business auctions are a great way to find an inexpensive computer.
Lexis Nexis in my area auctions off their equipment when they update.
Two weeks ago, I saw complete Dell systems, P3 500's go for $15 each, in good working condition.
Senior Member with 2,432 posts.

Experience: Advanced
04-Sep-2005, 09:59 AM #9
hey buddy, cancel your XBlive subscription... go for the free (and better IMO) alternative

www.xbconnect.com
Member with 4,952 posts.

Experience: Help! It's taking over my brain!
04-Sep-2005, 03:32 PM #10
Man, I know how ya feel-I live on ten bucks a week (lol). Save up your spare change for as long as you can, and buy one of the $249 Dells if that's all you can afford. That's the best commercial deal I know of... you can definitely do better than that if you look hard enough. For good deals on new stuff http://tigerdirect.com is a good place to look. (Not affiliated w/ Tiger Direct). I don't know how much your social security is but if you can squirrel away 20 bucks a week, with some patience you could have a new PC fairly soon. Best of luck.
Senior Member with 2,432 posts.

04-Sep-2005, 04:33 PM #11
actually, tiger direct can get pricy... their pre-builts are either OEMs overpriced, or crappy no-names.

i suggest refurbs, ebay, auctions, give-aways, etc.
Member with 6,052 posts.

04-Sep-2005, 04:36 PM #12
^He's right. The first time I used them, I bought a Stormtek Thunder, a noname brand. The mobo was dead within 6 months. I still have the computer, but barely any of the parts are the same. The second time I got a Radeon 7000, the next day the price had been slashed by half, not by sale.
Member with 4,952 posts.

Experience: Help! It's taking over my brain!
04-Sep-2005, 04:36 PM #13
I meant individual parts, IHR. Dad's gotten some good deals from there.
Senior Member with 649 posts.

Experience: somewhere between illiterate and beginner
04-Sep-2005, 09:39 PM #14
around here some of the local high schools take donated computers and build new ones. Those new ones then get given away to good causes.

Would not hurt to check with high schools in your area. Good luck.
Member with 74 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
05-Nov-2005, 01:05 PM #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_erised
around here some of the local high schools take donated computers and build new ones. Those new ones then get given away to good causes.

Would not hurt to check with high schools in your area. Good luck.
Well I can't afford anything because if this. I am on SSI (Social Security Income) and is more than getting income, I also get medical assistance since I am on it. I am on SSI because I have been particially mentally disabled due to my father abusing me when I was 5 years old. I can not get a job because if I do get one I must report my earning to SSI and even to my Property Manager. I am in a low income housing situation. If I did work my SSI will be reduced and my rent will be increased. How would I pay my rent and bills if this happens and if my SSI is gone how would I pay for my medication sice my medical assistance pays for it? The problem is not just on my head, but on others in my complex I live in. There are others that had to quit work here because their rent was way to high for both SSI and the income from work would handle.

Even a well paid job will do some damage to my SSI situation.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!