Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Random Discussion Random Discussion
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Oh Canada--Say it Ain't So--The Great One's Image is Tarnished!!!

(!)

Member with 51,018 posts.

09-Feb-2006, 02:42 PM #1
Oh Canada--Say it Ain't So--The Great One's Image is Tarnished!!!
No worries--its not Mulder I'm talking about here!

We all know that Canada has very few bragging rights over the US. About the only things America-Junior has on America are hockey, beer, and moonmist. And of course the embodiment of hockey, not only in Canada, but in the entire world, is Mr. Hockey, the Great One, Canada's own Wayne "Betsky" Gretsky is in some serious trouble. His wife and assistant coach have been nabbed in a sting operation relating to a sports gambling ring. The Great One claimed ignorance (even though his wife was caught betting half a million in 40 days! ) but they apparently got him on a wiretap (don't think it was Bush that authorized this one! ) discussing the gambling ring;

Read the story here:

http://www.ktvu.com/nhl/6880829/detail.html

On a serious note--I hope Betsky isn't involved in this because it would be horrible to see him "Pete Rosed" out of hockey. Could you imagine the Hockey Hall of Fame or hockey period without Gretsky?

Experience: The Alpha and Omega
09-Feb-2006, 02:54 PM #2
This is all that's been on the sports news casts here for past few days...

The fact his wife has placed bets and that he knew about the ring...

I REALLY hope he isn't involved anymore than his wife having placed some bets (which hopefully weren't on hockey ) and having known about it.

If this is all, it won't affect his image ... he's still the embodiement of hockey. He's still the greatest player and mind to ever lace on a pair of blades. And he's one of the nicest players and ambassadors of the sport ever.

ps Gretzky isn't "Mr Hockey", that's Gordie Howe

Gibble: Now you know what it's like to be Canadian.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 62,633 posts.

09-Feb-2006, 02:59 PM #3
regardless, I'd say he's out of coaching in six months, tops.....from what i've read, his wife and tocchet were REALLY in this deep....as in this may end up in front of congress with some ppl doing time courtesy of the state deep.......

we'll see....god, that just sucks.

"Ask Bill why the string in function 9 is terminated by a dollar sign. Ask him, because he can't answer. Only I know that". - Gary Kildall

09-Feb-2006, 03:00 PM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibble
I REALLY hope he isn't involved anymore than his wife having placed some bets (which hopefully weren't on hockey ) and having known about it.
The bets weren't on hockey--at least the ones they know about.

Quote:
ps Gretzky isn't "Mr Hockey", that's Gordie Howe
Well, that may be, but I think in most sport's fans minds, Gretsky is Hockey like Jordan is basketball. Jerry West is actually the silouette on the NBA logo and many (even West himself) think they should change it to that solouette of Jordan flying through the air legs spread towards the hoop, whch of course is more symbolic of today's game. Gretsky is more symbolic of hockey today, especially with younger fans than Gordie Howe is, my iced over friend.

PS--its supposed to hit 90 degrees here today!

09-Feb-2006, 03:04 PM #5
I frankly don't see what the big deal is about gambling as long as its not on the sport your involved in. I really don't give a crap is Betsky or his wife put a hundred grand on the Superbowl--pumps money into the economy--keeps the Vegas explosion of growth going.

I can understand betting on hockey--there is a huge conflict of interest there. If they find out Gretsky wife bet on hockey--even if he didn't know about it--he's finished.
Member with 27,087 posts.

09-Feb-2006, 03:07 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulder
Well, that may be, but I think in most sport's fans minds, Gretsky is Hockey like Jordan is basketball. Jerry West is actually the silouette on the NBA logo and many (even West himself) think they should change it to that solouette of Jordan flying through the air legs spread towards the hoop, whch of course is more symbolic of today's game. Gretsky is more symbolic of hockey today, especially with younger fans than Gordie Howe is, my iced over friend.
I'm just saying
Gretzky = The Great One
Howe = Mr. Hockey
Lemuiex = Super Mario
Bobby Hull = The Golden Jet
Richard = The Rocket
Messier = Moose

When you say Mr Hockey, a hockey fan, no matter the age, thinks of Gordie Howe. That's just the way it is.

Last edited by Gibble; 09-Feb-2006 at 03:13 PM..

09-Feb-2006, 03:08 PM #7
Quote:
I frankly don't see what the big deal is about gambling as long as its not on the sport your involved in. I really don't give a crap is Betsky or his wife put a hundred grand on the Superbowl--pumps money into the economy--keeps the Vegas explosion of growth going.

I can understand betting on hockey--there is a huge conflict of interest there. If they find out Gretsky wife bet on hockey--even if he didn't know about it--he's finished.
The biggest problem is not reporting the earnings to the IRS...

09-Feb-2006, 03:09 PM #8
Oh, and it's Gretzky not Gretsky

09-Feb-2006, 03:12 PM #9
Quote:
Oh, and it's Gretzky not Gretsky
No--its "Betzky" now!

09-Feb-2006, 03:13 PM #10
Quote:
I'm just saying
Gretzky = The Great One
Howe = Mr. Hockey
Lemuiex = Super Mario

When you say Mr Hockey, a hockey fan, no matter the age, thinks of Gordie Howe. That's just the way it is.
OK--I gotcha. I was using "Mr. Hockey" in the general sense that he is the first player most people associate with hockey now just like Jordan is who most people associate with basketball.

09-Feb-2006, 03:16 PM #11
Quote:
OK--I gotcha. I was using "Mr. Hockey" in the general sense that he is the first player most people associate with hockey now just like Jordan is who most people associate with basketball.
While you're from the US, I don't expect you to understand hockey
Member with 7,809 posts.

09-Feb-2006, 03:17 PM #12
Wife won $5,000 on the Super Bowl coin toss.

PS. All roads lead to NJ.
Member with 2,767 posts.

Experience: intermediate/beginner
09-Feb-2006, 03:17 PM #13
Quote:
I'm just saying
Gretzky = The Great One
Howe = Mr. Hockey
Lemuiex = Super Mario

When I think of hockey, the only player that comes to mind is Bobby Orr. Then Super Mario

That's too bad about Gretzky though, I think his dad has been hurt enough what with his mom dying and now this. Haven't read anything in the paper here yet about it, Walter Gretzky does a lot for this town(Brantford) and is well liked.
Computer Specs
Member with 11,373 posts.

09-Feb-2006, 03:43 PM #14
10 - 1 Sez Mrs. Betzky is in the process of making plans to move back to Canada.
Member with 32,916 posts.

09-Feb-2006, 04:04 PM #15
Quote:
No worries--its not Mulder I'm talking about here!

We all know that Canada has very few bragging rights over the US. About the only things America-Junior has on America are hockey, beer, and moonmist.
Dont you have cookies to go bake ???
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!