Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Random Discussion Random Discussion
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Ridiculous Item of the Day #3

(!)

Chicon Chicon is offline   Chicon has a birthday soon!
Computer Specs
Member with 6,650 posts.

Experience: Second socks retriever
08-Apr-2006, 03:42 PM #46
Quote:
Originally Posted by j35jazz
Do you still play? Allison Krauss's group has brought back some interest in the banjo but I haven't heard much about accordians, diatonic or chromatic. I had a good friend who used to play one of the monster models with lots of bass stops(?). He was a one man band at weddings.

Overall, I think I would rather have Lawerence Welk be associated with an instrument than "Deliverance."
Unfortunately, no !
I played until it died of natural death, after nearly 20 years of good and loyal services.
The price to repair it is very high and to buy a new one, I have to make a trip to Germany : they have nice three-voices models but the price is still high.
The model on the picture costs 2,400 $ on eBay !
Attached Thumbnails
Ridiculous Item of the Day #3-accordion.jpg  
Computer Specs
Member with 118 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
08-Apr-2006, 03:51 PM #47
Worn out
Well, I played a lot of banjo but fortunately it's pretty hard to wear them out. The face has a skin that can be punctured but otherwise a lot of hard wood and a tone ring made of some pretty heavy metal.

I did make a bad decision in selecting my model. I took a slightly lower end model by Gibson and saved about thirty bucks. Had I taken the other model, the worth would be about $2500 more. No big deal as I would not sell it anyway.

Given the computer generated march of music and instruments, one wonders about the fate of our instruments and others.
Chicon Chicon is offline   Chicon has a birthday soon!
Computer Specs
Member with 6,650 posts.

Experience: Second socks retriever
08-Apr-2006, 04:10 PM #48
Quote:
Originally Posted by j35jazz
Well, I played a lot of banjo but fortunately it's pretty hard to wear them out. The face has a skin that can be punctured but otherwise a lot of hard wood and a tone ring made of some pretty heavy metal.

I did make a bad decision in selecting my model. I took a slightly lower end model by Gibson and saved about thirty bucks. Had I taken the other model, the worth would be about $2500 more. No big deal as I would not sell it anyway.

Given the computer generated march of music and instruments, one wonders about the fate of our instruments and others.
The guy who taught me about the basics of accordion was a stringed-instrument maker and he made himself banjo's, guitars (classical, folk), he played them nicely. He's living now on a barge in France. He transformed his boat into a home with his workshop and he's voyaging on the French channels and rivers.

Computers can do many things but I prefer to play myself. I could have the sounds and effects I wanted while playing. To have the same results on a computer would be a hell of a job of tuning and programming for an approximative result.
Computer Specs
Member with 118 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
08-Apr-2006, 04:40 PM #49
Lots of people do it and the art of music falls to the skill of science..

I had pearl inlay put in by a little old man from Austria several years ago. He made pin bridge 12 string guitars, violins and violas. "Augie Stockabrough Robinson" is what I recall his name sounding like thought I doubt the accuracy of the spelling. "ASR" was inlaid in all his guitars. What amazed me most: he built them but did not play any instrument.

What have you done to replace the outlet of playing? I find I have to go back from time to time just to satiate some irrational itch to play.
Retired Administrator with 103,708 posts.

Experience: Advanced
08-Apr-2006, 09:07 PM #50
IDIOTS OF THE WEEK #616: A police dispatcher in Enid, Okla., got a call
from a cell phone. It was apparently an accidental call: the dispatcher
could hear two men talking in the background. For more than three
hours, the men talked -- about building and using a firebomb.
Meanwhile, another dispatcher got an emergency call -- reporting a car
that had been hit by a firebomb. A police officer found what he thought
was the car being driven by the two men and honked his horn, and sure
enough the dispatcher heard the horn. The cop pulled the car over and
found the cell phone on the dashboard. Robert Allen Patterson, 24, and
Johnny Ray Miller, 48, were charged with arson and conspiracy. "They
didn't have a clue they had dialed the phone," Detective Mark Pettus
said. (Enid News and Eagle)

08-Apr-2006, 09:09 PM #51
Marital spat involved knives, guns, and even homemade bombs(3/15/06 - KTRK/MEXICO CITY) - There are fights and then there are fights.

A Mexican couple is recovering separately after a marital spat that involved guns, knives, and homemade bombs. Police say Juan Espinosa and Irma Contreras fought until their house near Mexico City blew up in a homemade gasoline bomb explosion. Before that, the two apparently threw knives and shot at each other.

Espinosa was arrested and reportedly said he was glad his wife was burned in the fight.

Contreras is hospitalized with third degree burns and reportedly said she was only sorry she had not attacked his manhood during the fight.
(Copyright © 2006, KTRK-TV)
Computer Specs
Account Closed with 17,353 posts.

Experience: Can Follow Directions
08-Apr-2006, 09:22 PM #52
OMG...I sure hope they do NOT get back together and reproduce

08-Apr-2006, 09:27 PM #53
And I thought all of the whackos were in the U.S.

Computer Specs

08-Apr-2006, 09:28 PM #54
Well, you have at least 2 of them there.

08-Apr-2006, 09:32 PM #55
Seal the border, quick
Computer Specs

08-Apr-2006, 09:33 PM #56
We'll trade one of yours for this guy....not a violent one though

http://www.infoaboutnetwork.com/view/news/1329/

08-Apr-2006, 09:39 PM #57
How does stealing underwear make him a sex offender????
Computer Specs

08-Apr-2006, 09:41 PM #58
Nope...here's another crazy one from your part of the world....creative too

CANCUN, MEXICO - Rita Garcia, jealous over her estranged husband Pedro's way with the women, broke into her his apartment and located his unused condoms in a drawer. She carefully opened a condom and peppered chili powder in one, resealed it perfectly and then waited for the results. After a moment of passion with his 19-year-old girlfriend Pedro was rushed to the hospital with his manhood on "fire". Rita, upon her being charged with second degree assault said, "He wanted hot sex with that 19-year-old and he get it."

09-Apr-2006, 08:06 AM #59

09-Apr-2006, 08:07 AM #60
PALM SPRINGS, CALIFORNIA - When Jesus returns he'll have more than enough mad money for a new Ferrari or nice place to call home. That's because Ernest Digweed, who died sixteen years ago, left his entire estate to Jesus Christ, the Jesus Christ. The State Trustee Office was instructed to invest his money in government bonds, guaranteeing Jesus a total yield of $615,820 by the end of the century. Digweed's heirs are contesting the will, and have offered an unusual solution: an insurance policy in the same amount payable to Jesus upon his return. Since then, another problem has cropped up. Two individuals, each claiming to be Jesus have filed claims for the money...
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!