Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Random Discussion Random Discussion
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Question about electric blankets

(!)

Gabriel has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Account Closed with 17,353 posts.

Experience: Can Follow Directions
30-Oct-2006, 11:36 PM #1
Question about electric blankets
Hi. We bought an electric blanket for Gene's mom. The directions say NOT to put any other blanket on top of the electric blanket.
Now I haven't used one of these for years, but I always put another blanket on top of them. Is this something I should have never done?
Does everyone else NOT put another blanket on top of their electric blanket?
I am suddenly feeling like I'm from another planet and don't know whats up with electric blankets
Gabriel has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Account Closed with 17,353 posts.

Experience: Can Follow Directions
30-Oct-2006, 11:57 PM #2
Doesn't anyone have an electric blanket?
katonca has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 13,657 posts.

31-Oct-2006, 12:04 AM #3
Hi Gabriel,

I asked my wife, I'm not sure if this is correct but she said it's her understanding that a blanket on top would concentrate the heat, possibly overheating the unit. I've never used one myself.
Computer Specs
Member with 13,932 posts.

31-Oct-2006, 12:08 AM #4
Gabriel, the thing would kick out a fuse or a limit BEFORE it would ever cause a fire. The instructions are a pure CYA by the manufacturer.

I would not suggest putting a heavy quilt over it, but even if you did the safeties would kick out BEFORE it caused a fire. Believe me, a light blanket over it will not cause mama to go up in flames.

31-Oct-2006, 12:11 AM #5
Try this. Put the the thing in a black garbage bag all wadded up. It will not melt the bag. It will not go up in flames.

If it gets too hot, either the limits or the fuse will kick out. I promise.
Computer Specs

31-Oct-2006, 12:13 AM #6
Just make sure it has the "UL listed" on the blanket tag.
Senior Member with 1,941 posts.

31-Oct-2006, 12:15 AM #7
We have a down comforter on top of our electric blanket.... very toasty.
Member with 15,627 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
31-Oct-2006, 12:24 AM #8
Ours is 39 years old with no safety cut-out & we have a foam overlay on it, but Hubby leant on the junction last night when turning it off & it shorted, ..... when I came to bed I couldn't work out what the smell was until I got up this morning to see it scorched

MY PHOTOS
Always remembered in our hearts with 82,163 posts.

Experience: Learning it all here!
31-Oct-2006, 12:25 AM #9
Hi Gabriel!! Funny you should ask an electric blanket question! I have my own problem with them....no matter what brand I buy or from where...without fail a day or a week later they stop getting hot...a little warm on high...but not REALLY warm like they did at first! I'm wondering if trhere is some kind of problem with the electrical outlet I plug them into??? The only time they get hot is if I leave them bunched up on the bed...but as soon as I straighten them out...back to barely warm on high!!

And of course you've heard of the cancer/electric blanket connection from the EMFs you're exposed to while sleeping under them! I don't care...it's cold where I sleep in the living room near a 10 ft leaky patio window!!
June 18, 2007: My niece Christi had her baby GIRL! 10:15 a.m.....Emily Debra....7 Lbs. 10 Ozs....21" in length. She has a little dark hair...moves her lips and mouth so sweetly...has pretty petite features...thank you God!!
Jonesiegirl
Guest with n/a posts.

31-Oct-2006, 12:26 AM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ymfoster
Ours is 39 years old with no safety cut-out & we have a foam overlay on it, but Hubby leant on the junction last night when turning it off & it shorted, ..... when I came to bed I couldn't work out what the smell was until I got up this morning to see it scorched
39 years old?

31-Oct-2006, 12:29 AM #11
Yes it was repaired by Hubby a few years back when the wires got brittle, I think I need a new one ...... I want dual controls & am wary about the old one now
Always remembered in our hearts with 82,163 posts.

Experience: Learning it all here!
31-Oct-2006, 12:30 AM #12
Get a new one Yvonne!
Jonesiegirl
Guest with n/a posts.

31-Oct-2006, 12:33 AM #13
Quote:
Yes it was repaired by Hubby a few years back when the wires got brittle, I think I need a new one ...... I want dual controls & am wary about the old one now
Have you considered trying the electric mattress pads? Seems to me they'd warm the bones a lot better than an electric blanket.
Computer Specs

31-Oct-2006, 12:33 AM #14
Quote:

Yep, but these days the blankets have 4 safety cutouts on it to be UL listed. If the resistance gets too high, they kick out. In each heating element there is a bi-metal strip that kicks out if it gets too hot. In the thermostat there is a safety, if even one of the heaters gets too hot the T-stat cuts power. Then there is the fuse, too many amps and goodnight without your electric blanket.

Things are much safer if the blanket is new. I wouldn't trust a 1980 blanket but I would trust one of todays. They have the same safety standards as your furnace. UL are basically insurance guys. Those pervs hate paying out.

31-Oct-2006, 12:34 AM #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelize56
Get a new one Yvonne!
Hi Marlene

LOL I've been wanting one for about 10 years now, Hubby keeps wanting to fix things ...... we still have a washing machine with a roller wringer & cars 47 years & 21 years
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!