Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Random Discussion Random Discussion
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

2001 Buick LeSabre - Help me disable the auto door locks

(!)

Member with 6,375 posts.

Experience: Advanced
12-Nov-2006, 03:22 PM #1
2001 Buick LeSabre - Help me disable the auto door locks
Ok, I'm tired of the doors locking and unlocking themselves when I put the car into "D" or "R". I got out my manuel and tried to disable the auto door lock feature and it won't work. Am I missing something? Here's what it says:
1. Close all the doors and turn the ignition on. Keep all doors closed.
2. Press and hold LOCK on the driver's power door lock switch throughout this procedure.
All the doors will lock.
3. Press the button with the lock symbol on the remote keyless entry transmitter. The
automatic door locks will remain in the current mode.
4. Press the button with the lock symbol on the transmitter again. Each time the button
is pressed, the mode will advance by one, going from 3 to 0 to 1, etc.
The door locks will cycle according to the mode entered while customizing the memory
door locks.
5. Release the power door lock switch. THe automatic door locks will remain in the
most recent mode selected.

*I want mode "0" because it means "no automatic door lock or unlock"
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 251 posts.

Experience: better than intermediate not advanced
12-Nov-2006, 04:02 PM #2
I actually think you want # 1. 0 on your door locks is usually the factory setting mode whick means they will work all the time. if that doesn't work look up the Haynes manual for your car on google. It should tell you what sensors you need to disable
Member with 6,375 posts.

12-Nov-2006, 05:30 PM #3
The problem I'm having is that I'm following the directions and I can't get the thing to change to any of the 4 modes I wonder if there is a master switch somewhere that is keeping me from switching modes. I even took it to my mechanic and he said if he was going to disable the auto lock feature he would do exactly what I'm doing.
Member with 6,375 posts.

12-Nov-2006, 05:32 PM #4
Just to clarify what I"m trying to change:
When I get into my car and put it into Reverse all the doors lock all by themselves. WHen I put put the car into park all the doors unlock all by themselves.

I want to be able to lock and unlock the doors by pressing the lock/unlock button manually.
Member with 51,021 posts.

12-Nov-2006, 05:41 PM #5
Quote:
1. Close all the doors and turn the ignition on. Keep all doors closed.
2. Press and hold LOCK on the driver's power door lock switch throughout this procedure.
All the doors will lock.
3. Press the button with the lock symbol on the remote keyless entry transmitter. The
automatic door locks will remain in the current mode.
4. Press the button with the lock symbol on the transmitter again. Each time the button
is pressed, the mode will advance by one, going from 3 to 0 to 1, etc.
The door locks will cycle according to the mode entered while customizing the memory
door locks.
5. Release the power door lock switch. THe automatic door locks will remain in the
most recent mode selected.
Did you hold down the LOCK--actually press down on it during this whole procedure and was the ignition on?

If you can't get it to work, you and Mulder can meet somewhere and I can do it for you!
Member with 6,375 posts.

12-Nov-2006, 05:56 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulder
Did you hold down the LOCK--actually press down on it during this whole procedure and was the ignition on?
YUP, I held it down the entire time while the ignition was on. I went through all the steps and even tried to put it into all 4 of the modes. Its like its programmed to stay as is. You know me, I'm pretty good about figuring things out but this simple thing has me baffled
Quote:
If you can't get it to work, you and Mulder can meet somewhere and I can do it for you!
Or, you could just buy me a new car

The irony about this feature is that its supposed to be for safety. But, when I, for example, park in a parking lot at night and put my car in PARK, all the doors unlock. What if someone creepy were standing there and my doors just unlock for him. And its a pain too when I back the car out of the garage to take my son to school and when I put the car into Reverse, all the doors lock by the time I get the car out,, then I have to hit the unlock button to let him in the car
Member with 51,021 posts.

12-Nov-2006, 06:02 PM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotskates
YUP, I held it down the entire time while the ignition was on. I went through all the steps and even tried to put it into all 4 of the modes. Its like its programmed to stay as is. You know me, I'm pretty good about figuring things out but this simple thing has me baffled
Or, you could just buy me a new car

The irony about this feature is that its supposed to be for safety. But, when I, for example, park in a parking lot at night and put my car in PARK, all the doors unlock. What if someone creepy were standing there and my doors just unlock for him. And its a pain too when I back the car out of the garage to take my son to school and when I put the car into Reverse, all the doors lock by the time I get the car out,, then I have to hit the unlock button to let him in the car
Hotty--I would take it to the dealer. I remember we had a compass in our Montero and I couldn't figure out how to set it (you have drive it in circles why pressing some button or something). Anyway, I tried for an hour to figure it out--took it to the dealer, and they did in 2 minutes. I'm sure they would do it for you for free.

12-Nov-2006, 08:52 PM #8
Quote:
Hotty--I would take it to the dealer. I remember we had a compass in our Montero and I couldn't figure out how to set it (you have drive it in circles why pressing some button or something). Anyway, I tried for an hour to figure it out--took it to the dealer, and they did in 2 minutes. I'm sure they would do it for you for free.
Yeah I'm sure they would just push a few buttons and BAM it would be done cause they do it all the time. I just wish I could figure it out.........but I've already wasted enough time on it. Oh, a compass would be so fun to have........but, are they very accurate

Last edited by hotskates; 12-Nov-2006 at 09:05 PM..
Junior Member with 1 posts.

30-Apr-2009, 10:02 AM #9
Changing door lock settings
This may be too late for the original poster but I will include my solution here for other searchers.

I tried the technique listed above over and over again without success also. Then I realized that my LeSabre has the Driver Information Center Buttons. On models with this option, the settings are changed with the Information Center buttons.

Starting on page 2-86 for the owners manual:
Use the following steps for personal choice programming instructions.
1. Turn the ignition on and keep the transaxle in PARK (P).
2. Inform the DIC which driver you are by pressing the button with the unlock symbol on your remote
keyless entry transmitter or the appropriate memory seat control.
3. Press and hold the ENG/MET button for five seconds. WELCOME TO BUICK OPTION
FEATURE will appear in the display.
4. The first choice to be made will be DRIVER ID 1 or 2. Press the ENG/MET button to toggle between your selections within a display and RESET to choose the current selection and move on to the
next personal choice feature.

Good luck!
Member with 6,375 posts.

30-Apr-2009, 10:46 AM #10
Fox......just saw this and I'm on my way to work......I'll check later in the day and see if it works.......thanks! I'll let ya know if it worked.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!