Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Random Discussion Random Discussion
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

USPS Money Orders & Cashing money order "tips"

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 770 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
15-Feb-2007, 09:49 PM #1
USPS Money Orders & Cashing money order "tips"
I just found out about this and thought it was interesting enough to post.

If someone wants to pay you via money order (for rent, bills, or a debt) Consider this. Instead of depositing it at your bank (which may take a day or two for the funds to clear), or using a check cashing outlet like Money-Tree, Money-Mart, or Check-Masters (outrageous fees), which will charge you 3% of total amount + a $2 dollar processing fee, and call the issuer to verify if its legit ( How inconvenient/embarrassing is that!?). Ask the person to go to the Post Office to get you a money order there; And why u might ask?

They'll cash if for you, for free! At the post office.*

*I actually just discovered there may be no charge for cashing, they didnt say anything about specific fees for cashing on the usps website, besides the .95 cent charge for purchasing a money order, so if this is the case, even better.

Cool huh.

*Can be Purchased with cash, debit card, or traveler's check
*Valid for an unlimited period (Unlike those 7-11 money orders)
*Can be cashed at any Post Office or can be deposited or negotiated at your financial institution (The main point)
*Replace damaged, lost, or stolen money orders (Actual "Live" Customer Service should something go wrong)

& Don't forget to bring your ID.

If you found this information helpful, drop me a note, thanks!

Last edited by tjamnz; 15-Feb-2007 at 10:21 PM..
Computer Specs
Member with 108,885 posts.

16-Feb-2007, 12:41 AM #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjamnz
I just found out about this and thought it was interesting enough to post.

If someone wants to pay you via money order (for rent, bills, or a debt) Consider this. Instead of depositing it at your bank (which may take a day or two for the funds to clear), or using a check cashing outlet like Money-Tree, Money-Mart, or Check-Masters (outrageous fees), which will charge you 3% of total amount + a $2 dollar processing fee, and call the issuer to verify if its legit ( How inconvenient/embarrassing is that!?). Ask the person to go to the Post Office to get you a money order there; And why u might ask?

They'll cash if for you, for free! At the post office.*

*I actually just discovered there may be no charge for cashing, they didnt say anything about specific fees for cashing on the usps website, besides the .95 cent charge for purchasing a money order, so if this is the case, even better.

Cool huh.

*Can be Purchased with cash, debit card, or traveler's check
*Valid for an unlimited period (Unlike those 7-11 money orders)
*Can be cashed at any Post Office or can be deposited or negotiated at your financial institution (The main point)
*Replace damaged, lost, or stolen money orders (Actual "Live" Customer Service should something go wrong)

& Don't forget to bring your ID.

If you found this information helpful, drop me a note, thanks!
Postal is the best money order. The cheapest and the safest. Recently, I had an experience with a money order purchased at the grocery store, because I didn't want to send a personal check for something I ordered. The receiver said they hadn't received it. I checked to see if they had deposited it and they had, but to get any other info like who/etc. I was told there would be a $25 fee to check further!! The money order was for $20! Fortunately, the business gave me credit for it and sent me the merchandise. I don't think the business was trying to cheat, they just seemed to be very disorganized.
Computer Specs
Member with 770 posts.

16-Feb-2007, 02:38 AM #3
Yeah... Seems like a safer choice overall.

good verse!

Last edited by tjamnz; 16-Feb-2007 at 04:42 PM..
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!