Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Random Discussion Random Discussion
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Can anyone help me with bugs (may be Silverfish)

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 337 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
13-Apr-2007, 01:05 PM #1
Can anyone help me with bugs (may be Silverfish)
I've been finding these bugs in my apartment lately. Anyway, I figured they were silverfish but now I'm not so sure. Here is a link to Wikipedia that contains a picture of a silverfish. I'm hoping that someone might be able to tell me what these things are. Here is the link to Silverfish:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silverfish

My bugs are about one inch in length and they have two long antennae at the front about 0.75 inches long and a tail (in the back, duh!) about 0.50 inches long. They are light brown on the top but white on the bottom. They have about 15 legs on each side (for a total of about 30 legs). I'm guessing they are not Silverfish because unlike the info from the link, they have no silver color and they have way too many legs. Silverfish only have about 6 legs and are silvery colored.

The bugs I've been finding can be killed by freezing them. About one hour in the freezer (in a tupperware container) and they are dead. I suppose it could be shorter than 60 minutes. That's just what worked for me.

Can anyone tell me what kind of bug they could be?
Gabriel has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Account Closed with 17,353 posts.

Experience: Can Follow Directions
13-Apr-2007, 01:24 PM #2
They can also be firebrats....here is a link

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2108.html
Computer Specs

13-Apr-2007, 01:26 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluxMax
My bugs are about one inch in length and they have two long antennae at the front about 0.75 inches long and a tail (in the back, duh!) about 0.50 inches long. They are light brown on the top but white on the bottom. They have about 15 legs on each side (for a total of about 30 legs). I'm guessing they are not Silverfish because unlike the info from the link, they have no silver color and they have way too many legs. Silverfish only have about 6 legs and are silvery colored.
Maybe they are a type of millipede
Computer Specs

13-Apr-2007, 01:30 PM #4
You might want to take a magnifying glass, and look at the frozen ones, and see if there are only six true legs....also try to see if there is segmentation of the body....3 segments are an insect. I would lay it on its back.
iltos has a Photo Album
Member with 18,281 posts.

Experience: Beginner
13-Apr-2007, 01:36 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluxMax
My bugs are about one inch in length and they have two long antennae at the front about 0.75 inches long and a tail (in the back, duh!) about 0.50 inches long. They are light brown on the top but white on the bottom. They have about 15 legs on each side (for a total of about 30 legs).
if they do have that many legs, then they're centipedes....i've never heard of an infestation of them in a house, tho

but somebody else has

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...festation.html

Last edited by iltos; 13-Apr-2007 at 03:15 PM..
Computer Specs

13-Apr-2007, 01:44 PM #6
Here is another centipede link

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...icial%26sa%3DG

The one in the image has 15 legs on each side.......right on iltos....you got it
ODIN 0ERO
Guest with n/a posts.

13-Apr-2007, 04:06 PM #7
Quote:
I've been finding these bugs in my apartment lately. Anyway, I figured they were silverfish but now I'm not so sure. Here is a link to Wikipedia that contains a picture of a silverfish. I'm hoping that someone might be able to tell me what these things are. Here is the link to Silverfish:
taking the picture of the insect in question and posting it in your reply would be appreciated.

can you take a picture of it with your digital camera?

if you have one of course.

Last edited by ODIN 0ERO; 13-Apr-2007 at 04:39 PM..
Account Closed with 3,159 posts.

13-Apr-2007, 04:38 PM #8
If they're an inch long they're definitely not silverfish, which are no longer than half inch - at least in the UK - and are nippy little nuisances usually found where it's damp.
Computer Specs
Member with 337 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
14-Apr-2007, 07:17 AM #9
They're not firebrats.

I don't have a digital camera.

I've only seen 3 of them in the past 3 weeks. So I don't think it's an infestation.

I'll save the next one and try to take a picture.
Computer Specs

14-Apr-2007, 11:01 AM #10
Do they look like the centipede Max
Computer Specs
Member with 11,507 posts.

14-Apr-2007, 11:07 AM #11
Everything you ever wanted to know about those pests.............

" Identification

Silverfish and firebrats have flat, elongated bodies 1/3 to 3/4 inch long and broad near the head, tapering toward the rear-somewhat "carrot" shaped. These fragile, wingless insects are covered with scales and have two long, slender antennae at the head and three long, antennae-like appendages at the rear. These three appendages, one directed straight back and the other two curving outward, plus the two antennae, are nearly as long as the body. Sometimes these insects are known as "bristletails."

The silverfish adult is about 1/2 inch long with a uniform silvery or pearl-gray color, whereas the four-lined silverfish is about 5/8 inch long and the back displays four dark lines the length of the body. The gray silverfish is about 3/4 inch long and uniform light to dark gray. The firebrat is about 1/2 inch long, grayish and mottled with spots and bands of dark scales. Young resemble the adults except they are smaller. Eggs are whitish, oval and about 1/32 inch long. "

http://www.pestcontrolcanada.com/silverfish.htm

Here's another link with lots of pics............
http://www.whatsthatbug.com/silver.html

I hanger some of my aircraft shots HERE
Computer Specs

14-Apr-2007, 11:11 AM #12
He says they have 15 legs on each side Guy...
Computer Specs

14-Apr-2007, 11:17 AM #13
Here s a common house centipede from one of the links I provided above....is it fluffy and transluscent like this Max?
Attached Thumbnails
Can anyone help me with bugs (may be Silverfish)-centipede.jpeg  
Computer Specs
Member with 11,507 posts.

14-Apr-2007, 11:18 AM #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel
He says they have 15 legs on each side Guy...
Ah ha ! I missed that part. Then they have to be some sort of millipede or centipede. Sucks to be him right now. I hate bugs in the house. We got an infestation from a box of cereal a few months back and ended up throwing out a pile of food. They managed to get into everything, even chewed through plastic bags and such like. They were tiny things about 1/8" long and I never did ID them. Now anything dry goes into a sealed container of some sort as soon as we get it home and those cost us a pile of dough.
Here's some info on millipede's / centipedes.
http://www.gardensafari.net/english/centipedes.htm
Computer Specs

14-Apr-2007, 11:19 AM #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyzer
Everything you ever wanted to know about those pests.............
I take it you are not a bug enthusiast
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!