Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Random Discussion Random Discussion
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Average price of format / virus removal???

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 272 posts.

Experience: Advanced
17-Jul-2007, 11:21 AM #1
Solved: Average price of format / virus removal???
Hey all,

I'm not too sure where this thread should be posted lol, so I gave this a shot. I have been fixing computers for friends for awhile now, and I would like to know what the average price would be to completely reformat someones computer. What this includes is...
1) Removal of everything
2) Reinstallation of preferred operating system
3) Installation of anti-virus / firewall
4) Update of all critical files, updates and drivers.
5) A little optimization and some free software to maintain performance.

What would you guys and girls charge for a job like that? It takes a good amount of time, but I don't know what a fair price would be.

Also, I read somewhere on a few websites that you can make 50 - 100 dollars removing viruses and spyware from computers. I find this hard to believe so I figured I'd ask that as well! What would you charge to clean up a computer of all the infections?

Thank you in advance! Any opinions are appreciated .
Computer Specs
Member with 6,115 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
17-Jul-2007, 11:24 AM #2
$50-$100 seems rather high, unless you plan on installing the OS from a CD that you've purchased from Microsoft. Do you have to buy a special package if you're running your own business and installing Windows on customers machines?

Anyways...

If the person owns all the software, etc. and wants you to reformat and reinstall everything, I'd say $50 MAX.

It really only takes about an hour, the Windows installation takes about 30 minutes, and you don't have to do anything during that time.
Computer Specs
Member with 272 posts.

17-Jul-2007, 11:46 AM #3
Hi ACA529, thanks for the quick response. The software is usually owned already from the user. I am not running a business, this is just something I do for friends and what not, but it takes a lot of time so I don't want to do it for free. Installing the windows operating system takes a little bit longer then 30 minutes lol. I've done this a number of times and have yet to have it done in 30 minutes. But then updating all of the drivers, new updates, installing a virus scanner / firewall and all that good stuff, usually the average time for everything I do takes a little over two hours, and thats with no breaks, constant working. I think 50 for friends would be a fair price, but I am wondering in general what would this job go for at say...best buy, or circuit city.

The people at best buy tried charging me 35 dollars to install a wireless external card. All you need to do is plug it in and it installs itself. They also told me that my wireless card was completely shot and i should return the computer to the company to have it replaced (mind you i just got this computer 3 days prior) ... turns out my avg anti virus was conflicting wiht my wireless. Shows what they know lol.

Anymore suggestions are much appreciated.
Computer Specs
Member with 6,115 posts.

17-Jul-2007, 12:07 PM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3drock3t88
Hi ACA529, thanks for the quick response. The software is usually owned already from the user. I am not running a business, this is just something I do for friends and what not, but it takes a lot of time so I don't want to do it for free. Installing the windows operating system takes a little bit longer then 30 minutes lol. I've done this a number of times and have yet to have it done in 30 minutes. But then updating all of the drivers, new updates, installing a virus scanner / firewall and all that good stuff, usually the average time for everything I do takes a little over two hours, and thats with no breaks, constant working. I think 50 for friends would be a fair price, but I am wondering in general what would this job go for at say...best buy, or circuit city.

The people at best buy tried charging me 35 dollars to install a wireless external card. All you need to do is plug it in and it installs itself. They also told me that my wireless card was completely shot and i should return the computer to the company to have it replaced (mind you i just got this computer 3 days prior) ... turns out my avg anti virus was conflicting wiht my wireless. Shows what they know lol.

Anymore suggestions are much appreciated.
I'm not very experienced when it comes down to these things myself.

I've reformatted my computer 3 times in total, and each time it's only taken about an hour for the windows install, drivers, and windows update.

If it does take over 2 hours like it states in your post, $50 would probably be reasonable. Although, the local computer store is installing Windows XP for only $50 CAD (and you don't need to have any copies of Windows). It's kinda hard to say.
Computer Specs
Member with 353 posts.

17-Jul-2007, 12:11 PM #5
I've formatted, reinstalled, updated, installed av/fw applications for 25 dollars.

I'm doing it for my manager as we speak.
Computer Specs
Member with 272 posts.

17-Jul-2007, 01:42 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by emoric
I've formatted, reinstalled, updated, installed av/fw applications for 25 dollars.

I'm doing it for my manager as we speak.
25 doesn't seem like it would be a reasonable price. My first time doing it I charged 20 dollars until I realized how long it took me lol. So I bumped the price up to 50ish, then the occasional 75. I usually tell them the price range for it is between 50 - 100 and I let them choose which price they think is reasonable between that range.
Computer Specs
Member with 353 posts.

18-Jul-2007, 09:53 AM #7
Quote:
25 doesn't seem like it would be a reasonable price. My first time doing it I charged 20 dollars until I realized how long it took me lol. So I bumped the price up to 50ish, then the occasional 75. I usually tell them the price range for it is between 50 - 100 and I let them choose which price they think is reasonable between that range.
You have to love what you do.
Computer Specs
Member with 272 posts.

18-Jul-2007, 04:20 PM #8
lol right you are, I have read a few articles online and talked to a couple people who run their own stores and seen it on some websites, and it looks like the average price to clean a computer of viruses and spyware is between 100 - 300 dollars. I was shocked but I have heard it from a lot of people, thank you all for ur opinions!
Computer Specs
Member with 6,115 posts.

18-Jul-2007, 06:36 PM #9
I'd doubt virus/spyware removal is that high... unless you take it to Uncle Bob's Expensive PC Repair shop............................

People around here charge less than $100 to clean a computer. I think I got mine done for something like $50 once. Really cheap.

What people these days don't know is that you can get it done here free at TSG!!

It's not that hard cleaning a computer of viruses/spyware either.... that's why the prices aren't too high.
Computer Specs
Member with 272 posts.

01-Aug-2007, 02:30 PM #10
It's not hard at all but the majority of home computer users have no idea how simple it is. Which is why they take it to "Uncle Bob's Expensive PC Repair shop" lol.

www.wearenoobs.com
Computer Specs
Member with 6,115 posts.

01-Aug-2007, 03:25 PM #11
Quote:
It's not hard at all but the majority of home computer users have no idea how simple it is. Which is why they take it to "Uncle Bob's Expensive PC Repair shop" lol.

www.wearenoobs.com
Pretty much.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 2,191 posts.

Experience: None-but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once
02-Aug-2007, 05:46 AM #12
These days, reformatting is too easy. If a unit has been upgraded with a newer operating system, chances are good that you will have to chase a driver down. Myself, being reared in the old school, we had to reformat using dos commands to which I still use dos today frequently.
Computer Specs
Member with 272 posts.

02-Aug-2007, 10:48 AM #13
Haha, I wish I had a reason to use dos, it seems like a pretty good thing to understand. Unfortunately I've been loured into the easy "pop floppy in push button pop out" technique. Formatting a drive takes a matter of minutes lol, and reinstalling everything is repetitious, but extremely easy. Step-by-step walk through with the operating disc in, can't get much easier than that! lol.
katonca has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 13,657 posts.

02-Aug-2007, 11:51 AM #14
Knowledge = $$$

Your providing a service which most people have no idea what's up or down. That's the reason why I'd say $75 - $100 would be a good starting point.
Computer Specs
Member with 272 posts.

02-Aug-2007, 04:56 PM #15
Defintiely, good point . Well thank you all very much for the responses! It's much appreciated
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!