Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Random Discussion Random Discussion
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

07/08/09 a date to watch for, but there's more...

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 1,083 posts.

Experience: Advanced but no Expert
30-Apr-2009, 03:36 AM #1
07/08/09 a date to watch for, but there's more...
OK, so you all get it, that the date is in numerical sequence. Big deal. Right?

But there's more:

At five minutes and six seconds after 4 AM on the

8th of July this year, the time and date will be

04:05:06 07/08/09 .

This of course, will never happen again.

Kinda cool.
Senior Member with 2,141 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
30-Apr-2009, 06:06 AM #2
When your odometer nears 99,999 be sure to keep your eyes on the road. Wouldn't want you to rear-end someone.
Member with 2,470 posts.

30-Apr-2009, 07:18 AM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMiteBable2help View Post

But there's more:

Kinda cool.
ummm-how about next year at:
5:06:07 08/09/10 looks to me there is that "majik" number every year
Senior Member with 1,308 posts.

Experience: Beginner
30-Apr-2009, 08:15 AM #4
Quote:

But there's more:

Kinda cool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotbored View Post
ummm-how about next year at:
5:06:07 08/09/10 looks to me there is that "majik" number every year

At the start of every century you can find the same sequence every year from the years 05 to 13, but after the year 2013 it can't happen until 2105, because the months only go to 12.

You are both wrong It will come again and it won't come every year

Experience: Getting it
01-May-2009, 10:32 PM #5
Quote:

But there's more:

Kinda cool.
You sure that isn't August 7th
Computer Specs
Member with 1,083 posts.

03-May-2009, 12:56 PM #6
@ oil painter: I didn't mean there would never be sequential numbers again. But that particular sequence won't happen again because obviously, that date will never come again.

@rootbear: Not sure what you're talking about. What does August 7th have to do with any of this?
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 9,126 posts.

03-May-2009, 01:42 PM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyStrike View Post
When your odometer nears 99,999 be sure to keep your eyes on the road. Wouldn't want you to rear-end someone.
I invited my wife to join me in driving to the convenience store when my odometer turned 100,000 but she didn't want to. She said it was an unimportant event.

I suspect she would have if it had been a trip to Macy's or Nordstrom's.

03-May-2009, 01:43 PM #8
Quote:
@ oil painter: I didn't mean there would never be sequential numbers again. But that particular sequence won't happen again because obviously, that date will never come again.

@rootbear: Not sure what you're talking about. What does August 7th have to do with any of this?
You never said that in your post and Oh yes that particular sequence will show up in 2109, and 2209 and 2309 in fact every 100 years. You and I will not be around to see it but it will come again

After rootbear pointed it out I did notice you had the wrong month. August is the 8th month
Computer Specs
Member with 1,083 posts.

03-May-2009, 05:36 PM #9
Correct. August is the 8th month. I think I understand now. You are thinking that it is written as day/month/year. It's rare to find a date written that way in the U.S.A. unless you're military or other Govt. agency. In this case it's written as month/day/year = July/8th/2009 and that's how we read those numbers "by default". I was raised saying the date is "July 8th, 2009". I don't say it's the "8th of July, 2009". Make sense?

@ oil painter. You are also absolutely correct about it happening every 100 years. I didn't even think about that. I just copied text that said "this will never happen again". Even so, it's rare enough that I thought it was kinda cool. I still remember when it was 9/9/99 and that was kind of a big deal. (It's also acceptable here to write the month and day without preceding zeros). Come to think of it, this September the time and date will be 09:09:09 09/09/09.

OK so maybe it's not that big a deal, and Frank4d: Your wife is right. That "event" as you call it is unimportant. So is the one that started this thread. It's just trivial. Always remember that, and don't forget to tell her she's right, as often as you can, even if she's wrong. I had a 1975 Dodge Dart that reached 100,000 original miles in 1999 and coincidentally, it happened just as I was crossing the OR/WA state line. I thought it was a big deal, but looking back, who cares.

But anyway, this has all given us something to talk about, however unimportant it may be.

@ oil painter: You seem to be good at dates and such so I'll ask you, how many days from 04:05:06 07/08/09 will it happen again?

Last edited by IMiteBable2help; 03-May-2009 at 06:59 PM..
Computer Specs
Member with 26,330 posts.

03-May-2009, 05:40 PM #10
Americans are weird.

They write dates as month/date/year when it is supposed to be date/moth/year. For example the terrorist attacks should be 11/9, not 9/11.

03-May-2009, 06:05 PM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyritechips View Post
Americans are weird.

They write dates as month/date/year when it is supposed to be date/moth/year. For example the terrorist attacks should be 11/9, not 9/11.
I never thought about that even though I've heard 9/11 often. It is easier to say than 11/9.

I guess it's just the difference in cultures that we put the date before the month and Americans do the opposite. In this case though when you are going from seconds to year the date should come before the month as a logical progression.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,083 posts.

03-May-2009, 07:06 PM #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyritechips View Post
Americans are weird.

I agree even though I was born and raised here. Things are a bit backwards. I think the day/month/year format makes way more sense, and a 24hr clock does too. To avoid confusion, Govt. here uses the "correct" formats and since my private employer has to answer to the USDA, they also use the "correct" format. I also think that the metric system makes more sense. It would not be a big leap to go metric. Our money already is a metric type system,(units of 100) so It's already been learned.

You would have to know U.S. history well in order to understand the way we do these things, but in short, it's because the U.S. was born out of rebellion, and that attitude carried over. These things are different here out of rebellion to European influence. In the interest of competing in a world economy/Scientific community the schools here are now teaching metric as early as grade school (1st - 6th) I had never heard of a metric system until science class in high school.(1980's)

Last edited by IMiteBable2help; 03-May-2009 at 07:15 PM..
Computer Specs
Member with 14,139 posts.

Experience: Oh, yes... of course!
03-May-2009, 07:45 PM #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyStrike View Post
And here I thought I was the only one who watched the odometer turn over at certain numbers.

03-May-2009, 07:52 PM #14
Quote:
I agree even though I was born and raised here. Things are a bit backwards. I think the day/month/year format makes way more sense, and a 24hr clock does too. To avoid confusion, Govt. here uses the "correct" formats and since my private employer has to answer to the USDA, they also use the "correct" format. I also think that the metric system makes more sense. It would not be a big leap to go metric. Our money already is a metric type system,(units of 100) so It's already been learned.

You would have to know U.S. history well in order to understand the way we do these things, but in short, it's because the U.S. was born out of rebellion, and that attitude carried over. These things are different here out of rebellion to European influence. In the interest of competing in a world economy/Scientific community the schools here are now teaching metric as early as grade school (1st - 6th) I had never heard of a metric system until science class in high school.(1980's)

We always had the imperial system--which is a bit different from yours but mostly the same.

In 1970 we began to gradually switch to the metric system. It was touted as being better for trade, because all of Europe is metric.

Kids who learned it in school think in metric but us older folks tend to do a lot of converting. For instance I know that 450 grams is a pound and a meter of fabric is almost 40 inches. and 10 centimeters is 2 inches.

Funny thing though most food recipes remain in cups and teaspoons. They tried to change that too but it didn't fly. So you might say we are officially a metric country we are not totally and I don't think that will change in the future.

I know this is off topic but I threw it in anyway
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!