Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Random Discussion Random Discussion
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

National Sweepstakes of America (SCAM or LEGIT)

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 379 posts.

Experience: Advanced
18-Aug-2009, 04:07 PM #1
National Sweepstakes of America (SCAM or LEGIT)
Hi Everyone,

Has anybody heard anything about "The National Sweepstakes of America"? My grandmother has been receiving all kinds of calls in the past few days from all kinds of people stating that she has won some like 450,000 dollars. She even got a call from someone claiming that they were from The Publisher's Clearing House sweepstakes and that they would be there the next day to deliver her check for 491,000. Needless to say they were no shows.

But this people from The National Sweepstakes of America 1-866-978-7296 say that my grandmother needs to pay Fed Ex or UPS 311 dollars to ship her money from where ever it is to where she is. This all sounds like a scam huh?

Most of the calls are coming from this guy named SEAN WILLIS (917) 934-3332 who claims to work for "The National Constitution Center", which is supposedly a government organization that governs and controls all lottery and sweepstakes winnings.

Has anyone dealt with this before or know anything about this?

Thanks
katonca has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 13,657 posts.

18-Aug-2009, 04:54 PM #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broly View Post
Hi Everyone,

Has anybody heard anything about "The National Sweepstakes of America"? My grandmother has been receiving all kinds of calls in the past few days from all kinds of people stating that she has won some like 450,000 dollars. She even got a call from someone claiming that they were from The Publisher's Clearing House sweepstakes and that they would be there the next day to deliver her check for 491,000. Needless to say they were no shows.

But this people from The National Sweepstakes of America 1-866-978-7296 say that my grandmother needs to pay Fed Ex or UPS 311 dollars to ship her money from where ever it is to where she is. This all sounds like a scam huh?

Most of the calls are coming from this guy named SEAN WILLIS (917) 934-3332 who claims to work for "The National Constitution Center", which is supposedly a government organization that governs and controls all lottery and sweepstakes winnings.

Has anyone dealt with this before or know anything about this?

Thanks
I think it's a scam. I googled National Sweepstakes of America, someone else had the same situation. I think I'd tell Mr. Willis to deduct the $311 from my winnings and send a check

http://yedda.com/questions/Scams_Rig...2998119173507/

http://insidecostarica.com/dailynews...t/25/nac05.htm

Good luck to your grandmother.
Gabriel has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Account Closed with 17,353 posts.

Experience: Can Follow Directions
18-Aug-2009, 07:52 PM #3
scam
Member with 33,764 posts.

Experience: I thimk therefore I yam
18-Aug-2009, 07:54 PM #4
If it seems too good to be true..run like a jack rabbit with 22 rounds hitting the dirt around it
Computer Specs
Member with 379 posts.

Experience: Advanced
18-Aug-2009, 09:00 PM #5
LOL! I feel you. But I just can't help but to think that she has won something. Maybe these people that have been calling know that she has won something and they are trying to cash in on it. I've heard of stuff like this through e-mail, but this phone stuff to old people is a new one on me. I wish it was a way I could do something to can these dirt bags.
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 46,489 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
24-Aug-2009, 12:41 AM #6
I had someone call from "The National Sweepstakes Redemption Center" that asked for me or my wife by name. I told him that I was not interested in what he had to say. He said that it was not a sales call and that I was selected as a winner. He hung up when I asked him if he knew that our number was registered on the National Do Not Call list.

The weird part is that I answered the call on a phone that does not show Caller ID. I checked our caller ID box a little bit later and it did not show any record of the call coming in at all.
Computer Specs
Member with 61,426 posts.

24-Aug-2009, 01:44 PM #7
My vote is for SCAM!
Junior Member with 3 posts.

30-Aug-2009, 09:07 PM #8
This is definitely a scam. It's one thing that she would have won the prize and they were calling to let her know (usually a scam anyway) but the fact that they are telling her that she needs to pay FedEx $311 is really the tip off. There is no way that it would cost that much to ship a check through any carrier, even if it was that huge cardboard check. If they were to send it through UPS or Fedex I would think that it would cost somewhere between $5-10. Even sending it certified mail through the post office wouldn't cost that much. I would definitely tell your grandma not to give them any information. It might even be helpful to contact the phone company and see if they can block the calls or contact the police to see if there is anything that they can do or would suggest doing.
Computer Specs
Member with 47,118 posts.

Experience: Einstein Jr. Indeed
30-Aug-2009, 10:02 PM #9
Good Read Thanks
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!