Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Random Discussion Random Discussion
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Movie Quotes or Scenes relevant to you.

(!)

Member with 10,891 posts.

19-Nov-2009, 04:12 PM #1
Movie Quotes or Scenes relevant to you.
As the Movie One Liner Thread seems to expired i thought I'd start another one.........

A scene relevant to something I've always believed - and please forgive my incurable Romanticism - is the final Scene from the remake of the Film "The Fog". It's ironic that of all the genres in Cinema the one that should express everything about the healing powers of real and uncontrived Love are found in what they call 'Horror'. Blake - a Ghost ravaged by Leprosy, drowned for a hundred Years - finds the love of his Life and becomes the handsome Man he always was before Disease and Treachery condemned him. There are resonances of the wounded or maimed King of Mytholgy in this - or indeed the Beauty and the Beast Story - which is derived from the same Premise. Not only Blake is healed but so also are the crew of the Elizabeth Dane - and thus everything that they are.

A Movie Scene that certainly doesn't apply is that awful part in the 'Chapman Report' where Naomi Shields - played by not only one of the most sultry of the 60s but also the most lady like of Actresses - the lovely Claire Bloom - is gang raped and not one of those 'Men' - if you can call them that - even attempts to defend her or make any Protest. A scene bereft of any Chivalry or a Gentleman, and you feel so sorry for her a Woman at her most vulnerable!

24-Nov-2009, 04:43 AM #2
Maybe - in the Context of another Film featuring an Owen - certain People should watch te Fog - either the original or the remake - or even both - to see what happens to those who deliberately wreck Ships - or Lives! Maybe I ought to do to them what Blake does at the end of the original - and say "Mea Culpa" when I do it!

01-Dec-2009, 11:55 PM #3
As I've mentioned a recent Film about the Arthurian Legends here's some stuff I posted on a relevant Forum about it!

"I have seen the Film and read the Comments with interest and agree that there are probably many unsubstantiated assertions made by the Film-makers about its authenticity.

This doesn't write it off though as completly inaccurate as there are also other things to consider in the Debate. Many Historians agree that an 'Arthur' - a Romanocelt Title meaning 'Bear' - existed in the 5th/6th Centuries and did fight Battles with Saxons called Cerdic and Cynric. These happened - not at Hadrians Wall - but somewhere slightly north of Dorset in Wiltshire. The 'Arthur' of this and other Battles was descended from Votadini Tribes People who lived in the Area now known as Lanarkshire in East-Central Scotland. These were requested by Ordovician Tribes in North Wales to defend against the continuing and growing Threat from Ireland and as they (the Votadini) arrived they migrated/settled eastwards to the Kingdom of Powys - now east Wales and Shropshire. As the Romans withdrew they consolidated in then powerful Towns like Veraconium (Wroxeter) in defiance against the gradual concurrence of Saxon Invasion. By the 5th Century an 'Arthur' was based in Veraconium and would certainly have been Brythonic-Celt with possible Romano Lineage too. The Sarmation Cavalry stationed in Britain 350 Years before this were very often north of Hadrians Wall and it is entirely feasable that they worked with both Votadini and Roman Elements in the Region. What this implies is that when Votadini began arriving in what is now Gwynedd they were very much linked with, and maybe even had, Sarmations fighting for them and it was from these - and their Skills - that later Cavalrymen descended or were trained - including those based in what is now Shropshire - while there were Sarmations stationed in Chester (Diva) during the peak period of the Roman Occupation. The Culture of the Sarmations might have dissipated in time but their prowess as Cavalry certainly hadn't - which wouldn't be un-noticed by Roman and Celt alike.

So although the Film does have some conspicuous inaccuracies it also has a few truisms that begin a Journey in the right direction for when someone makes the definative Film about the Arthurian Legend."

1/12/09 3:55 PM

02-Dec-2009, 01:22 PM #4
I like the Films mention of Pelagious - a decent Man who was probably closer to whatever the Christ had to say than some 'Christianity' of the last 1500 Years. Even the Mabinogion makes a reference to it as an 'Arthur' attempts to reconcile it with Catholicism - except the Pope had other Ideas - which is a shame really!

02-Dec-2009, 09:55 PM #5
So whatever anyone might say about the Films (lack of) Authenticity it has both the advantage of not being a Maloryesque Tale of Yore - making John Bormans "Excalibur" look eversoslightly contrived with rather too much Duraglit being used on the Costume and Scenery - and gives mention to someone mainstream Chistianity has always tried to Edit out of Theological History.

It should also be remembered that Pelagious was the form of Christianity those who inspired the Arthurian Legends would be defending during those very difficult times.

Last edited by lighthouse; 02-Dec-2009 at 10:09 PM..

04-Dec-2009, 04:55 AM #6
Once you've watched these Films see "The Man in the Iron Mask" - that's almost what they did to me for Years - not with the Stone Walls, Portcullis and Bars of the Bastille - but a societal Prison no less impenetrable! They kept me out here not seeing anyone for Years.

04-Dec-2009, 08:03 AM #7
So there's your recommended DVD Hire for the Weekend - "Braveheart", "Kingdom of Heaven" and "The Man in the Iron Mask" and look for the common thread!

Meanwhile in the Ukraine!

04-Dec-2009, 08:58 AM #8
And then - when they've finished seeing these - maybe they'd listen to "A Forest" and ask themselves why they've never been there in 20+10 Years.

04-Dec-2009, 09:23 AM #9
It's more like Macbeth here than Robin and his merry Men - which of course presents us with yet another Paradox!

04-Dec-2009, 03:20 PM #10
And has anyone noticed certain things in Bruckheimers Film?

It has Elements of "The Magnificent 7" and "Entebbe" about it! There are 6 Knights + Arthur about to confront a huge Army as they rescue a potential Hostage, their Family - and it turns out also Gwenharfar and an entire Village - from being either ransomed or killed by Cerdics Invaders.

And also - even in the Sword and Sorcery - Myth and Magic - World of Tolkien there is Political Intrigue in the form of Denethor. The Steward of Gondor isn't under any Enchantment like Theoden. He knows that when he lights the Beacon - as he ought - not only does he get Theoden and the Rohiirm Galloping in to the Rescue he also gets Aragorn - the rightful heir to the Minas Tireth Throne - and suddenly finds himself out of a Job. Even his son - in the last Minutes of his Life - ackowledges the Rangers rightful Position but his Father decides to cling to Power - even if it means the City and thus the Country falls to Mordor.

Meanwhile,in this Area Lighthouse has had to wear an Iron Mask because of a metephorical Denethor(s) having their big Party on him, and his People for not just 20+10 Years - but 20+20!

Last edited by lighthouse; 04-Dec-2009 at 04:27 PM..

04-Dec-2009, 04:13 PM #11
I broke my Silence on September 11th 2001 and it was like the Iron Mask finally came off and Denethors Nightmare came true. After this People outside this Area and even the UK -start asking Questions. Maybe one of those People was Mr Bruckheimer - the Man who made Pearl Harbour!

Last edited by lighthouse; 04-Dec-2009 at 04:29 PM..

05-Dec-2009, 05:56 AM #12
Currently watching "Chariots of Fire"

And Mr Bruckheimer is a black Film Maker - as black as Jesse Owens!

Last edited by lighthouse; 05-Dec-2009 at 06:25 AM..

07-Dec-2009, 12:44 AM #13
Has anyone ever noticed the Number on Eric Liddels Shirt in his first Appearance as an Athlete in "Chariots of Fire"? - an Enigma Production - while you also have the opening and closing Credit Sequence (with that inimmitable Sooundtrack of course) and Baliol in "Kingdom of Heaven" is a Blacksmith!!!!!.

Then there's that bit in Arthur where - after returning from the Roman Villa and seeing what was happening (Woads being tortured and starved) in the name of whatever Rome was becoming - Arthur (Clive Owen) barely able to conceal his justifiable Contempt says to Bishop Germanus - "Friend of my Father" while Alecto backs off from the rather fake Overtures of the Roman Cleric.

Last edited by lighthouse; 07-Dec-2009 at 01:05 AM..

07-Dec-2009, 01:27 AM #14
I also noticed how whoever they got to be Alectos mother looks not dissimilar to someone I know - hope the same thing wasn't happening to them (that certainly wasn't in the Script 20 Years ago) - otherwise I might just become William Wallace or start prospecting for a Sarmation MCC!

Lighthouse begins to consider the Implications of becoming a Namesake and re-enacting Bannockburn!

Oh, and has anyone here seen "The Patriot"!

Last edited by lighthouse; 07-Dec-2009 at 01:49 AM..

07-Dec-2009, 02:41 AM #15
But all of this prompts the Question 'what's been going wrong in this Area for nearly 30 Years?'
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!