Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Random Discussion Random Discussion
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Such a Disgrace: 200 students drunk at Scarsdale homecoming dance

(!)

Always remembered in our hearts with 82,163 posts.

Experience: Learning it all here!
08-Oct-2002, 10:44 PM #1
Such a Disgrace: 200 students drunk at Scarsdale homecoming dance
I hadn't heard of this until I saw it on Bill O'Reilly tonight! What a disgrace! I don't know what has become of some of our youth. I did learn that many of the kids got drunk at homes where adults allowed these kids to drink. That's an even bigger disgrace! My son starts high school next year and he and I have discussed all the possible "temptations" he might encounter there....I see he has a good head on his shoulders now and I hope he continues that way!

Just seems that the whole lot of these kids should have been suspended, not a select few. And it wouldn't hurt to haul in some of the parents who allowed drinking in their homes either! Affluence has it rewards apparently. Take care. angel

P.S.-Sorry Eggy if you posted this and I missed it! angel

200 students drunk at Scarsdale homecoming dance

By DAVID NOVICH, KAREN MEANEY AND MERYL HARRIS
THE JOURNAL NEWS
(Original publication: September 26, 2002)

SCARSDALE Some students were turned away at the door because they were obviously drunk, but as the Scarsdale homecoming dance heated up inside, it became clear the party was out of control.

Within a couple of hours, 200 drunken students reeled across the campus, some vomiting, police said. Inside, where about 600 students partied, teens tucked their heads into garbage cans and other receptacles to be sick while trying to avoid teachers taking names, students said.

It was to be the last party at Scarsdale High School for a while. School officials said yesterday they were weighing the extent of disciplinary action and campaigning against underage drinking after Friday's debacle.

"It was easier to find a drunk kid there than someone who was sober," said senior Dave Nambar. "Most of the seniors and half of all the underclassmen were drunk."

By the time the music stopped and police arrived at the Route 22 campus, five students had passed out and had to be rushed to hospitals.

"You have slightly drunk kids taking care of very drunk kids," said Detective Richard Fatigate. "It doesn't make for a very good situation."

They had done their drinking at private homes in Scarsdale, Fatigate said. The potion of choice was vodka and orange juice.

In a letter sent home to parents Monday, high school Principal John Klemme wrote, "No dances will resume until there can be reasonable assurances from students and their parents that the events of last Friday evening will not be repeated."

It was Klemme who called 911 at 8:48 p.m. on Friday and addressed the crowd.

"He was talking about how everyone was drunk and if they wanted the dance to continue, they would have to leave," said junior Wazha Dube.

Two boys and two girls, all underclassmen, were taken to White Plains Hospital Center, and another girl, a junior, was taken to Lawrence Hospital in Bronxville. Another 15 students, staggering from acute alcohol intoxication, were taken home by their parents, police said.

All who required treatment have recovered, Klemme said yesterday, but students' troubles are far from over.

While no charges were filed, school discipline was meted out. Citing confidentiality laws, Klemme declined to specify how many students were being punished or what their punishments were, but "it's fair to assume suspension was the disciplinary action that seemed most appropriate," he said.

Klemme's letter to parents said Scarsdale student athletes found in violation of the school's athletic code will be referred to the Athletic Fairness Committee for determination of additional consequences.

In the meantime, Klemme said, students and parents should devise solutions, but "abundant parental supervision" is suggested.

Fatigate is writing letters to the parents of the five teens who were hospitalized, and will meet with them before deciding if the students will face charges or have to undergo counseling.

He said he is meeting with students and community-based organizations to try to create a "unified front of adults" to prevent underage drinking. And he urged students "not be afraid to call for help in a crisis."

And there may very well be no homecoming dance next year, Klemme said.
June 18, 2007: My niece Christi had her baby GIRL! 10:15 a.m.....Emily Debra....7 Lbs. 10 Ozs....21" in length. She has a little dark hair...moves her lips and mouth so sweetly...has pretty petite features...thank you God!!
Member with 27,087 posts.

Experience: The Alpha and Omega
08-Oct-2002, 11:01 PM #2
I don't trust the media to report this properly, so I'm not going to comment on the article. I have a feeling it wasn't nearly as bad as it has been made out to be.

08-Oct-2002, 11:04 PM #3
Gibble: I saw this exact version of it on Bill O'Reilly and I trust he wouldn't report facts that aren't true. It isn't too hard to believe this happened nowadays. Take care. angel

P.S.-Are you by any chance into drinking as a sport or something? Just asking because of your avatar, your profile pic and your response to the Morning Commute thread. Take care. angel

Last edited by angelize56; 08-Oct-2002 at 11:50 PM..
Senior Member with 4,168 posts.

Experience: Advanced
09-Oct-2002, 07:29 AM #4
These kids need to be disciplined by their parents and the school system. As far as canceling future dances, it is punishing all for what some did. It would be more effective to make a list of all involved and restrict them from attending future functions. Also the parents who allowed the drinking need to be brought to task for it.
Senior Member with 535 posts.

09-Oct-2002, 08:38 AM #5
If alcohol weren't the "forbidden fruit" it is in the United States, these things wouldn't happen. They're very rare in Germany where 4 year olds regularily drink wine at dinner.
Computer Specs
Member with 21,189 posts.

Experience: Disenfranchised American
09-Oct-2002, 09:16 AM #6
What is so shocking about this? There have always been kids drinking or doing drugs and it doesn't matter what school you come from or how rich or poor you are. It is all peer pressure and wanting to fit in. Did you expect anything less at a homecoming celebration? If you think it isn't in your neighborhood or in your schools you are in for a rude awakening when your kids get into junior or senior high. I really think that the press has more than likely over dramtized this situation like they normally do just because of where it happened. Scarsdale is probably a very rich and affluent community and people were just shocked because some spoiled litte rich kids were getting drunk and partying. The parents were probably even more surprised that their little Johnny or Janey could do such a thing since they are doing such a wonderful job of rasing them. These are the folks that throw money and posessions at their kids instead of doing their job of being a parent and actually being there for them. No surprise their kids turn out to be so well adjusted huh??

09-Oct-2002, 09:34 AM #7
N2, I agree punishing everyone b/c of the actions of a few is a stupid thing to do. The few kids who were very drunk should be punished, not severely (having to go to the hospital they probably allready felt their punishment) but something. The kids who had a few and were just "wobbly drunk" were just doing what most people did at that age. It would be very hypocritical for most parents to punish their children for drinking under age.

Angelize, I rarely drink to get drunk, but I do drink a few when I'm out with friends to loosen up. The reason for the avatar and profile pic is I had alot of fun at nationals, the pics remind me of it (and since every picture from nationals has me with a drink in my hand, I might as well use the one where I'm drinking it )

Casey, exactly, I think the US having a drinking age of 21 is quite stupid. They can learn to drive in stome states at 14, vote for the most powerful and influential man in the world at 18, but they can't drink until they are 21? Seems silly.

Rockn, exactly, kids all around north america are drinking and having parties and getting completely wasted when they are in highschool, most kids are good at covering it up though (it helps when most parents these days are inept) And like Casey said, they do this because its the "forbiden fruit".

Gibble: Now you know what it's like to be Canadian.
Senior Member with 3,245 posts.

09-Oct-2002, 09:36 AM #8
Right first off, I'd like to inform you that when a teenager I was in a "Gang", we called ourselves "Straight Edgers"(some of you may know about straight-edgers they are still very popular today but slightly more aggressive in forcing their views on others-which I don't agree with). This meant we didn't drink, we didn't smoke, did not have premarital sex, and our language did not contain the "F" word as every second word spoken. We started, with the help of adults, something called "Youth-Hope" were once every month we would "rent" a school and anyone under from the ages of 14-21 would spend a weekend learning about how to stay away from "bad" peer pressure, alcohol and it's related events, and emotions (The Wall). We promoted a none drug none alcohol environment and it showed kids/teens that having fun didn't have to involve substance abuse. It was what started my years in counselling peers and then later on a career with children and adolescence. I feel very strongly about alcohol/drug use in children. It is an adult activity that needs the mental maturity to handle it and some adults are incapable of even this this. It alters the mind and effects the body, this is not something that should be taken lightly in children or teens or even in adults. And yes, I do drink and once in a blue moon get "drunk".

Yes, there is alcohol, yes teenagers do try/use it, but to give the excuse of "oh come on everyone has done it or will do it or other countries...etc" does not make it right. Why? this is why:

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Underage drinkers may have more to worry about than just breaking the law.

A study by the National Institutes of Health shows that children who begin drinking before they turn 15 are four times as likely to develop alcoholism as those who start drinking at the legal age of 21.

They also are twice as likely to abuse alcohol than people who start drinking later, says the study conducted by the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, a component of the NIH.

Some medical experts say early exposure to drinking, family pressures and alcohol advertisements have encouraged children to began drinking at earlier ages and make breaking the habit more difficult as they grow up.

"It's hard to get away from the pervasiveness of alcohol in our culture," said Dr. Clarence Chen, medical director at New York's Gracie Square Hospital, a facility for treating alcohol and drug abuse. "Kids start drinking because they think it's the adult thing to do."

Chen said an increasing number of his patients with alcohol problems report they started drinking by age 10. While older children often begin drinking because of social influences, younger children tend to take their cues from adults, he said.

"Parents have to be aware they are role models for kids," Chen added.

More freedom and access to alcohol may also contribute to the propensity of childhood drinking, says Dr. Morris Chafetz, director of the Health Education Foundation, who has worked on alcohol-related issues for more than 40 years.

"Kids want to belong and at the same time want to be independent," Chafetz said. "My guess is that these kids are given opportunities we didn't have to test out these things."

The study also shows the risk of alcohol dependence decreased by 14 percent for each year the start of drinking was delayed. The risk of lifetime alcohol abuse fell by 8 percent with each additional year.

"It remains to be seen whether it is the delay in alcohol use or, possibly, other associated factors that explain the inverse relationship between age at drinking onset and lifetime risk for alcohol abuse and alcoholism," said Dr. Enoch Gordis, director of the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism.

Of the people surveyed for the study, more than 40 percent who began drinking before they turned 15 eventually became addicted to alcohol. That compares with the 24.5 percent who began drinking at 17 and the roughly 10 percent who started at the ages of 21 or 22.

Last edited by GreenIs; 09-Oct-2002 at 09:46 AM..

09-Oct-2002, 09:54 AM #9
Still not convinced? How about these reasons:

-At a time when their muscles and bones need to grow, alcohol stops this from happening properly.
-Alcohol also makes it harder for your body to fight off diseases.
- heavy drinking hurts all the body organs, especially the brain, heart and liver.
-a lot of kids drink too much and some die of alcohol poisoning...i've seen that happen.
-not to mention it's a depressant and most teens are depressed half the time anyway because of the fluctuation in hormone levels...so suicide amount teens becomes higher when alcohol is involved.

LOL ok I have "preached" enough.

09-Oct-2002, 09:55 AM #10
Rockn: No I <b>would not</b> expect this at a homecoming dance! Not to this extent. It isn't shocking...it's a downright disgrace! And I have never read of such a large amount of drunk kids at a homecoming dance. My school homecoming wasn't littered with drunks. This is <b>not</b> the norm!!! I just totally disagree with you here! angel

09-Oct-2002, 09:59 AM #11
Quote:
Originally posted by angelize56:
Rockn: No I <b>would not</b> expect this at a homecoming dance! Not to this extent. It isn't shocking...it's a downright disgrace! And I have never read of such a large amount of drunk kids at a homecoming dance. My school homecoming wasn't littered with drunks. This is <b>not</b> the norm!!! I just totally disagree with you here! angel
But if kids were allowed to have a drink on occasion at home their body wouldn't go into such shock the first time they experiment where it can't be controlled like it can be at home.

09-Oct-2002, 10:01 AM #12
Gibble: And shall we give them a cigarette, a joint and some Ecstacy with the same reasoning? angel
Computer Specs
Member with 21,189 posts.

Experience: Disenfranchised American
09-Oct-2002, 10:05 AM #13
Isn't that rather hypocritical that you would refrain from drugs and alcohol when you were a teenager and now you partake in consumption? Seems you were causght up in the reverse kind of peer pressure. You can quote statistics all you want, but if they are going to try it they are going to do it regardless of what you or the National Institute of Health says. I had my first beer before I was 12 and it wasn't because of advertising or because my parents were getting a divorce....it was peer pressure and I actually liked the buzz I got. I have been in plenty of trouble with different drinking related incidents in my life, but there was no one to blame but me and my choices....it wasn't my parents fault, my friends fault or anyone else. I do not drink now because I see what an absolute waste of time, money and brain cells it was and I cannot afford to do it any longer....my chioce.

09-Oct-2002, 10:07 AM #14
Here gibble try jumping off this bridge here first at home, and next time your body won't be in such a shock of dieing again.

09-Oct-2002, 10:09 AM #15
Thank you, this makes good point:

"I have been in plenty of trouble with different drinking related incidents in my life, but there was no one to blame but me and my choices....it wasn't my parents fault, my friends fault or anyone else. "-Rockn

Need I say more.

Last edited by GreenIs; 09-Oct-2002 at 10:18 AM..
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!