Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Software Development Software Development
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Advice on VB.NET training

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Beginner
17-Jul-2012, 08:50 AM #1
Advice on VB.NET training
Hi
I used to be a bit of a demon on a PC using Excel 2003. I even dabbled in a bit of Visual Basic and got some quite swanky reports going.
Move forward 10 years and I have a Mac at work (don't find Excel very good on this) and at home work on a Windows laptop with the dreaded Excel 2010, which I have never liked and therefore rarely use.
Fortunately I also have access to an old PC which still has Excel 2003 on it, and being the geriatric I am, I tend to do most of my Excel work on that. The problem is that everyone else at work is on a Mac, and the Excel files generated on the PC don't work (formulas and macros) when emailed to the Macs.
So now I have decided I need to update my Excel files and get them working on the Macs.
As part of this, I need to get up to speed on VB.Net.
Do you have any advice on a good way to grasp the basics so that I can start playing around?
Any advice welcome.
Thanks
K
Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Advanced
19-Jul-2012, 07:31 AM #2
I currently know very little about VB code and want to learn for use in
MS office applications such as Access and Excel, while also learning
how to write some login scripts using VBS. The only option as far as
company paid training that I have locally is an introduction class to
VB .Net programming.
Computer Specs
Member with 7,800 posts.

25-Jul-2012, 06:16 PM #3
kristymoore,

What are you trying to accomplish with VB.NET? VB can make some great front ends, but it is not really a database / reporting platform.

Excel 2010 is WAY more powerful than 2003, and that tends to break alot of old functionality (Pivot tables, conditional formatting...) Depending on what you are doing... Learning 2010 might be a better call. Or maybe picking up a real reporting / database platform. SQL / SQLite are two thoughts.
Computer Specs
Member with 7,800 posts.

25-Jul-2012, 06:16 PM #4
Stuartweb - Please start your own thread. We want to help, but it doesn't work well helping two people with their questions in the same thread.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
visual basic .net

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!