Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Software Development Software Development
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Is C++ really one of the fastest, most convenient languages for game software?


(!)

NuttyBar's Avatar
NuttyBar NuttyBar is offline
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 67 posts.
THREAD STARTER
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Experience: Beginner
21-Jul-2012, 04:12 PM #1
Question Is C++ really one of the fastest, most convenient languages for game software?
From what I can gather, C++ is(or at least has to be)one of the best programming languages in terms of speed and performance/capabilities.

The language itself is not easy to completely understand, but in time it should weld ... but, like, really ...
is C++ itself to be preferred for game software development entirely over all other language competitors(Java, C#, etc.)?

C++ supposedly performs faster because it compiles to object code from a compiler(or am I wrong here?), and Java compiles to bytecode from an interpreter.

But can't Java compile to object code using a compiler? Wouldn't that make Java the same as C++, at least in terms of source code execution?

I'm not too certain on this.

Also, in the sense of implementing scripts alongside C++ code/library code, are scripting languages really an aid in programming, or are they just something that some prefer in such a programming system?

I'm not too fond of the idea of "scripts", but do they really have any useful advantages?
allnodcoms's Avatar
allnodcoms   (Danny) allnodcoms is offline allnodcoms has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 610 posts.
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hertfordshire - England
Experience: Advanced
23-Jul-2012, 04:25 PM #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuttyBar View Post
From what I can gather, C++ is(or at least has to be)one of the best programming languages in terms of speed and performance/capabilities.
Assembler is the fastest and most capable way to speak directly to the hardware in the only language it actually understands. But it's not everyone's cup of tea.
Quote:
The language itself is not easy to completely understand, but in time it should weld ... but, like, really ...
is C++ itself to be preferred for game software development entirely over all other language competitors(Java, C#, etc.)?
If you are talking about desktop games for a Windoze PC then it used to be (back in the day when I worked on PC games - a long time ago). If you want to talk to the hardware in a higher level language then you need to go with the one supported by the API developers. This used to be C++ but may well have changed since DX6.
Quote:
C++ supposedly performs faster because it compiles to object code from a compiler(or am I wrong here?), and Java compiles to bytecode from an interpreter.
Correct...
Quote:
But can't Java compile to object code using a compiler? Wouldn't that make Java the same as C++, at least in terms of source code execution?
Yes, you can compile java to object code, but that defeats the point of java (if there is a point to java).
Quote:
Also, in the sense of implementing scripts alongside C++ code/library code, are scripting languages really an aid in programming, or are they just something that some prefer in such a programming system?
I'm not too fond of the idea of "scripts", but do they really have any useful advantages?
Scripting languages, such as LUA, are often used in games (in particular) for a very good reason. If you are developing an RPG, for example, and want to introduce a new kind of enemy, if that enemy's behaviour is held on file in a separate script then you don't need to rewrite large clumps of your finished and working logic to fit it in. Your sprites / 3D models and general attributes of the new character can all be loaded straight in at run time without having to recompile. Easy really...

Danny
DoubleHelix's Avatar
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
23-Jul-2012, 05:18 PM #3
allnodcoms, the poster has been banned. They weren't interested in discourse, just arguments.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.


Tags
c++, compiled, fast, programming, scripts

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools


WELCOME
You Are Using: Server ID
Trusted Website Back to the Top ↑