Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Master Volvme Control in VB.NET

(!)

Popa Mintin Popa Mintin is offline Popa Mintin has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 25 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
08-Aug-2012, 08:55 PM #1
Master Volvme Control in VB.NET
Since last March I've been trying to discover how to read the master audio volume setting using VB.NET

I'm writing an alarm clock function and would like to be able to: -

Record the current Audio Volume setting,
Change it (up or down),
Play the 'Alarm Clock.wav' file then,
Return it to it's original level.

I've learned how to increase and decrease the master volume but I'm currently having to increase the volume buy a set amount
(at the moment 80%), then I play my .wav file... Then reduce the volume by the same amount... which is fine while ever the volume
is originally set very low or off, but if the volume had been set higher than 20%, it will have stopped increasing when it got to 100%
and then would have been turned down (in this case) to 20% which is a bit crude, but ok as far it goes but nevertheless a nuisance.

Can anyone tell me how to read the set volume using VB.NET ? It'll be simple to do what I want if only I could read the set volume.

Poppa.
Popa Mintin Popa Mintin is offline Popa Mintin has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 25 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
12-Aug-2012, 08:49 AM #2
Further to my last
Hi Guys, I'm still struggling with this problem.

I've now spent many more hours trying to pick out the part of a posted code that will do the trick for me, sadly without success, it doesn't help that everything changed with the release of Vista, and (I believe) again with the release of Win.7 so that anything posted prior to that isn't relevant.

Surely there must be somewhere a straightforward way to read the current setting of the Master Volume, it's obvious to me that 'straightforward' might be stretching a point but somewhere to start would be nice.

I could post reams of examples of code that is supposed to access the Master Volume setting, but they all come with supposed Get Volume, Set Volume, Set Slider, Set / UnSet Mute, display this, display that, none of which work I might add. Trying to pick out the 'Get Volume' part has proven to be a non-starter, especially the 'Master Volume' part as opposed to this sound track or that track, this channel, that channel... It always seems to be wrapped up in some other function and usually addressed by '0,0,0,0' with no documented explanation.

Can someone please point me to where I can discover how to (just) read the Current Master Volume setting.

Popa.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!