Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Software Development Software Development
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

debug.exe

(!)

Junior Member with 4 posts.

11-Sep-2003, 04:21 PM #1
debug.exe
Hi
im trying to use debug.exe to decompile a bitmap file. Does anyone know what i should type in? Ive tried

-U d:\folder\fillename

and various other combinations of the same form. The U is for Unassemble (according tto the help page) but I always keep getting error. am i doing something wrong?
Senior Member with 1,405 posts.

14-Sep-2003, 12:34 AM #2
I may have misunderstood your question, so feel free to disregard at will () ...

If you are using the DOS debug, you normally invoke it with the name of the file you wish to debug (e.g., debug command.com). You should receive a "-" (minus) prompt. At the prompt, you can enter commands such as 'U' (without the quotes) to disassemble the binary. Note that you can also specify a range for the disassembly.

Hope this helps.
Junior Member with 4 posts.

15-Sep-2003, 01:15 PM #3
debug
hi thanks for your reply.
when you say invoke debug with the filename does that just mean i type the file name (without the path info) after the "-" prompt. Ive tried this and it doesnt seem to work.
i run debug from the start menu by going to "run" then typing in debug.exe
after that it opens with a "-" prompt.
what should i type in after that.

15-Sep-2003, 05:12 PM #4
No, sorry for any confusion. What I meant is that when you first start debug, you should specify the name of the file that you want to examine. So, for example, if you wanted to examine a file named regedit.exe, at the command line you would type: debug regedit.exe

By the time you receive the minus prompt, debug has already decided what file (if any) you want to examine, so you have to tell debug what file you are interested in right away, before you get to the minus prompt. The general idea is that you should always type something like: debug <filename> at the command prompt, where <filename> is the name of the file you want to examine. In your example, you would type: debug d:\folder\filename followed by a carriage return ('enter" key); this should get you to the minus prompt.

Hope this helps.

15-Sep-2003, 05:14 PM #5
Quick addendum: since you are using the "Run" command from the start menu, you should type: debug.exe d:\folder\filename instead of just debug.exe in the dialog box.

Hope this helps.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!