Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Software Development Software Development
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Cheap place to buy VB6?

(!)

Senior Member with 507 posts.

Experience: Advanced
23-Oct-2001, 04:48 PM #1
Cheap place to buy VB6?
Does anyone have any ideas where I can buy Visual Basic 6.0 Learning Edition (well, any 6.0 version, as long as its cheap) because right now I'm stuck running off a copy of WE (Working Edition).

Thank you!
Member with 2,736 posts.

23-Oct-2001, 05:01 PM #2
Are you currently in school? If so, your school may have a deal where you can purchase software at a greatly discounted price. For example, I bought Office 2000 Pro for $25 and Visual Studio Pro 6 for $25. These are technically "for educational purposes only" but are the full version. Something to check into.

23-Oct-2001, 07:21 PM #3
Hmm. I doubt my school would have something like this because I'm only in 7th grade so... But any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Member with 125 posts.

24-Oct-2001, 06:00 AM #4
Hi asbo,

This is what I found:

"Many software publishers, including Microsoft, Adobe, Lotus, Corel, and Symantec, offer discounts of up to 75% off SRP to qualified academic customers. Schools, educators, and students (college students ONLY) may purchase these fully functional products by submitting an order with academic verification.

Usually a copy of your current school ID card and driver's license are sufficient. If your school doesn't issue IDs, you may submit a letter on school letterhead signed by a principal or department head verifying that you are currently enrolled as a student or currently employed as faculty or staff, along with a copy of your driver's license. Students may also substitute a legible copy of their current class schedule or receipt for the current term along with their driver's license."

So, ... is your mom or dad a teacher??? Usually, the order name and the student name must match, but the credit card name (if that's the purchase medium) doesn't have to match the student name.

Here are 2 places I've found the best prices, providing you can solve the above problem:

http://www.provantage.com/scripts/go.dll/-s/ffbalng_
Visual Basic v6.0 Learning Edition for Windows AE # 046-00392 $34.04
Order Online Anytime or Call 800-336-1166 or 330-494-8715 or Email us

http://www.runpc.com/academic.htm
Visual Basic Std 6.0 Win32 License Pak AE Learning Ed.
Version: 6.00
Part Number: 046-00556
Price: $24.95
(800) 326-2344

I would recommend calling both sources and comparing delivery time frame, cost, and method.

Hope this helps you and enjoy your learning experience.

Kristi

24-Oct-2001, 03:08 PM #5
Thanks but...
Thanks Kristi, but the problem is that I'm not a college student yet and I doubt my Jr. High teacher would go through the trouble of seeing if she could get me a copy. So, thanks, but I dont think I purchase adademic versions in any way.

24-Oct-2001, 03:19 PM #6
Does anyone have any other ideas? I can't get academic versions, (to my knowledge) so... Any ideas? I MIGHT have found a copy for $34 some and some change, but I'm pretty sure that it's an academic version, so... (I say that a lot, don't I?)

HELP!
Member with 2,736 posts.

24-Oct-2001, 03:28 PM #7
Well, I did find some online for approx. $30 and up but they were academic versions and, you're correct, per Microsoft licensing information K-12 students nor their parents are eligible (however the institution itself is). I wasn't able to find any non-academic versions for less than about $89. So, unless you can find someone willing to sell you theirs for a discounted rate, I think you're out of luck.

24-Oct-2001, 03:30 PM #8
*defeated*
I guessed I'll keep an eye on eBay. THANKS EVERYONE!

Regards,
Computer Specs
Member with 405 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
27-Oct-2001, 04:48 AM #9
You can bye a copy of Microsoft Visual Basic in PC World in the UK For 80.00 about $156.00 in United States As i just brought a copy of visual basic!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!