Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Software Development Software Development
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Frames v Tables

(!)

Member with 341 posts.

23-Nov-2001, 02:59 PM #1
Frames v Tables
I have always heard that it is better to use tables than frames. I just wanted to know if this was because the navigation is easier. I could see frames getting confusing if not desinged well. Just wanting to see if anyone knew of a better reason.
Computer Specs
Member with 21,189 posts.

Experience: Disenfranchised American
23-Nov-2001, 05:27 PM #2
Frames and tables are two completly different things so you need to know what you want to do. I use frames to keep a static menu on the left or wherever that is always visible and throws the linked page to the target on the right side of the page or wherever you want it. It is more efficient I think as you don't have to add the menu code to every page and have it load with that page. Tables are what they say they are and have no real functionality. A table is just a collection fo cells basically although I do use them quite often for keeping a pages format consistent when you want it to look like a document. Of course there are a multitude of uses for tables and this only scratches the surface.
Member with 341 posts.

25-Nov-2001, 10:08 AM #3
If you load an html page in one of the cells of the table, and used this as a static menu and had the link load into another cell. This would be the same effect as using frames I think.

It looks like you could do the same effect with tables, just wondering if there was a hard and fast rule about why tables were better that frames.

Thanks,
Member with 71 posts.

25-Nov-2001, 10:26 PM #4
What you just said wouldnt work the way you think it would. The visitor to the site would still be downloading the whole page again, including the navigation bar or what ever.

Using frames is like having two seperate windows open. In each seperate window you'd have a seperate pages loading. If you clicked a link in one frame (and it was set to load in another) the second frame would reload with the new information and the first frame would stay the same (no reloading). Because of this, using frames can cut-down on download times although in this day and age we all should beable to optmise navigational images to a minimum.

And, just for the record, I prefer tables.

Spu

LOVE TABLES - HATE FRAMES
Member with 341 posts.

26-Nov-2001, 08:53 AM #5
Thanks. That makes sense. I am a little dense sometimes
thanks SPU and Rockn.
Member with 374 posts.

Experience: I know my way aound one,
30-Apr-2002, 01:19 PM #6
How do they do the frames so that the actual frame isn't visible? In other words, I want to make a questions and answer type of document where you click the question and get shot dow to the part of the dacument where the answer is. I love these but when I make froames to do this I get the visible frame and all- I would like it to look like one huge long document with links at the top and the ability to scroll throught the whole thing.
(Breath)
Any ideas?
Member with 341 posts.

30-Apr-2002, 01:33 PM #7
You could do this by using anchor tags < A>. Use the Href property in your question:

< A Href=#question1> What are these?< /A>

and then use the Name property to designate the area to link to.

< A NAME="question1">Answer:< /A>.

If I understood the question correctly.
Member with 374 posts.

Experience: I know my way aound one,
30-Apr-2002, 03:35 PM #8
I'll give it some experimenting. This is the same code to have a link back to top too? It resembles the frames stuff I've been reading about on WebMonkey.
Member with 341 posts.

30-Apr-2002, 05:06 PM #9
This would be the same code as a go to top type of link. This would be much easier I think versus setting up a frameset. Frames can be useful but you have to watch them or they can get confusing.
Senior Member with 640 posts.

30-Apr-2002, 09:12 PM #10
only advantage to frames is the menu, that way you don't have to update evrey page for menu but there's another solution.

You can use php, asp or a simple SSI

but i won't get into that. Tables look much better then crapp frames. To me frames shows unprofessionalism... hope that make sense... lol
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!