Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Software Development Software Development
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Audio Drivers

(!)

Nela Nela is offline Nela has a Profile Picture
Junior Member with 20 posts.

22-Jan-2009, 09:30 PM #1
Solved: Audio Drivers
Here I am again asking for help . After I reinstalled windows xp on my pc and did all the updates , now I need audio devices because when I go to CONTROL PANEL->SOUNDS, SPEECH, AUDIO DEVICES->DEVICE VOLUME is on low and gray so I can not move the volume to hear out the speekers. So I did a "Sound Troubleshooter" and this is what I found: "Have you installed signed drivers for your sound device?" I don't think I have it. I went online looking for it, but is for sale, where can I find free drivers? Thank you.
Senior Member with 429 posts.

Experience: Advanced
23-Jan-2009, 08:50 AM #2
Can you provide the hardware specs for your PC?
In device manager, for the Multimedia Audio device, open the properties can click on Details and for the Device ID, state the long string below e.g. PCI/VEN_ ....

23-Jan-2009, 11:40 PM #3
In device manager, I don't have Multimedia Audio device. Under Sound, video and game controllers... all I have is: audio codecs, legacy audio drivers, legacy video capture devices, media control devices, unimodem half-duplex audio device, and video codecs. Please advice.

23-Jan-2009, 11:47 PM #4
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24D5&SUBSYS_019D1028&REV_02\3&172E68DD&0&FD
I found it under: OTHER DEVICES->MULTIMEDIA AUDIO CONTROLLER PROPERTIES.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Beginner
25-Jan-2009, 11:12 AM #5
Please mention your PC Make & Model. Do you have the driver CD with you?

-SuddenQ

25-Jan-2009, 01:52 PM #6
I have a Dell, Dimension 3000 and I do not have the CD.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,239 posts.

25-Jan-2009, 07:39 PM #7
Its a Dell ADI 198x Integrated Audio device for the Dimension 3000, d/l driver from:
http://tinyurl.com/2sw9cn

26-Jan-2009, 10:03 PM #8
The site is not working, at first it gave me an error 500, and after that when I tried again it said: "The server at tinyurl.com is taking too long to respond." I will try it again tomorrow. Thank you
Computer Specs
Member with 1,239 posts.

27-Jan-2009, 02:41 PM #9

27-Jan-2009, 08:28 PM #10
I did. I went to the site, from there went to the audio option->analog devices driver->download now. It downloaded R94481 driver and everything is still gray
Computer Specs
Member with 1,239 posts.

28-Jan-2009, 03:10 PM #11
Check Device Manager, are there any Unknown Devices or devices with no driver listed?
Also make sure that the Windows Audio or Windows Audio Endpoint Builder services have started (see services.msc) if using Vista?

28-Jan-2009, 08:07 PM #12
I checked Device Manager, went to Sound, video and game controllers.

I right-clicked on Audio Codecs sound device, and then clicked Properties, the name of the location is Unknown and the device usage is gray, can not enable it.
I right-clicked on Legacy Audio Drivers and then clicked Properties,the name of the location is Unknown and the device usage is gray, can not enable it.
I right-clicked on Media Control Devices, and then clicked Properties,the name of the location is Unknown and the device usage is gray, can not enable it.

I right-clicked on SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio, and then clicked Properties,the name of the location is PCI bus 0, device 31, function 5 and the device usage is enable . So I right-clicked on SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio, then Scan for hardware changes, the Found New Hardware Wizard ( it said: this wizard helps you install software for CIF SINGLE CHIP) came on and I clicked on Install the software automatically. After a while the message: The hardware was not installed because the wizard can not find the necessary software (
the same thing happened when I repeated the above steps to UNIMODEM HALF-DUPLEX AUDIO DEVICE).

Please advice further actions.
Thank you,
Nela
Computer Specs
Member with 1,239 posts.

29-Jan-2009, 03:22 PM #13
CIF Single Chip is for a Webcam driver from here:
http://members.driverguide.com/drive...riverid=757425

You can find drivers for other devices here as well.

29-Jan-2009, 06:59 PM #14
The weirdest thing, over a week ago my cousin sent me an program application and what that does it pretty much delivers a written message with flying letters all over the screen. When I first received it, it did not have any sound, but when I opened it last night the music came on and I was able to listen to it. So I went on youtube.com to see if I can listen to a video song from there, but back to the same problem, will not play the sound. HELP.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Computer Illiterate
30-Jan-2009, 10:14 AM #15
When was sound stop working, did you download any software programs before your sound not working
There may be times that malicious software cause this kind of problems but this is just a guess.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!