Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Software Development Software Development
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Visual Basic

(!)

Member with 77 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
17-Jan-2011, 11:01 AM #1
Solved: Visual Basic
Hello everyone,

I just have a couple of questions regarding VB if anyone can help answer, currently I'm studying IT and learning a bit of everything I have dabbled in many code languages c#, JavaScript, asp, PHP but more recently VB. I think I have taken too VB better than any of the other languages. But what I want to know is, is VB still well used in the industry i.e. are new application still being developed?

I posted a question a long time ago in the forum about different coding languages but I never really thought about VB, a lot of people recommended concentrating on PHP and C#, what are people’s recommendations today? Although I can do a bit of code work in each language I want to pick one and concentrate on that, so preferably a language which is going to be the most used to me now, until another language takes over in the future?

And finally, does anyone know of any well known programs, applications that have been made using VB that I can look at?

Thanks in advance for your advice
marques_uk
Junior Member with 22 posts.

Experience: Beginner
19-Jan-2011, 05:51 AM #2
I think you have a point of view but most of the companies are using web-based application. It is intended for online purposes. Nowadays, the programmers are developing a new kind of technology but the most popular when you discuss about a software is mainframe. VB can't save to a repository with a high memory files, the error will popup.. It's a good for you if you want to learn VB because you can still use your learning skills when you upgrade your knowledge to ASP they have similar codes/scripts. In this case, the PHP and ASP are different. UNIX and LINUX hosting. Well, grab the opportunity to learn new technique. But, I will recommend to learn PHP + MYSQL because it is easy and you will learn a lot in the online / website online. Good luck!
Member with 77 posts.

09-Feb-2011, 09:38 AM #3
Thanks for your comments jalicia18, I'm still un-decided, everybody I ask seems to have a different point of view on what the best language to learn is, although PHP + MySQL does pop up a lot. I think I'll just have to carry on dabbling in a bit of everything until I can find out what will be the most useful.

Although if anyone else has any advice on what they think would be the most useful programming language to concentrate on is, that would be brilliant.

Thanks again
Computer Specs
Member with 4,038 posts.

Experience: Advanced
09-Feb-2011, 10:25 AM #4
Actually the thing is We can't say "This is the Best" because each and every programing language has its own advantages and drawbacks. Anyway, PHP, JavaScript are not programming languages they are scripting languages. They will give a good support to learning programming languages.
Member with 77 posts.

09-Feb-2011, 10:59 AM #5
That’s very true sepala, they all have advantages and drawbacks and indeed I shouldn’t really say best. I'll rephrase my question, ‘What would you say was the most commonly used programming/scripting language at present and is there a programming/scripting language that looks like it will take over the present language?

Although I guess it all depends what area of work I want to go in, maybe you could answer this for me?

If I wanted web based work what would be the recommended language to learn? PHP + MySQL, C#?

What about software development, games and applications? Would this be C++ and VB?
Computer Specs
Member with 4,038 posts.

09-Feb-2011, 11:16 AM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by marques_uk View Post

If I wanted web based work what would be the recommended language to learn? PHP + MySQL, C#?
What about JAVA? Most web based PROGRAMMING applications are developed using JAVA, and that is platform independent.

Anyway, I am not a programming expert because I am also a software engineering student. Visit this link

http://library.techguy.org/wiki/Choo...mming_language
Member with 77 posts.

09-Feb-2011, 11:38 AM #7
Thanks for the link, I guess I'll just have to keep searching, I'm sure I'll make my mind up eventually on what to concentrate on. I don't think I'll ever get a one sided opinion on this as you've said there are advantages and drawbacks to all languages and everyone has their own favourite.
Computer Specs
Member with 4,038 posts.

09-Feb-2011, 12:15 PM #8
Wish you all the Best. Good Luck...
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
advice, coding, development, visual basic

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!