Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Software Development Software Development
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: anyone help with automating a process between web form and software client?

(!)

Junior Member with 5 posts.

12-Apr-2011, 07:34 PM #1
Solved: anyone help with automating a process between web form and software client?
Sorry if this is in the wrong place but I figured that this is where I am most likely to get a response.

Here is my problem:

My website contains a simple form. When the user submits the form, I would like the information from the form to be automatically entered into a form window of a software client located on my computer.

I can make it so that when the form is submitted, I receive an email with the form information. So maybe the best way to go about this would be to create an automated process which copies the information from the email and pastes it into a form window of the software client Im not sure. The problem is I have no idea how I would create this automated process .

Does anyone know what I would have to do/how I would be able to do this or if there is a better solution?

Any help is much appreciated
Computer Specs
Member with 1,257 posts.

Experience: Advanced
14-Apr-2011, 04:34 PM #2
No, I would not do i that way. Any information entered into a web site should be sent to a SQL database, then you can retreive the information from the database from the client software.

Alternatively, you could use the Form on the web page to collect information, and when the user clicks submit, it will create an email with the information required and send it to a specificed email address e.g. you. Then you enter the information from the email into the client software.
Junior Member with 5 posts.

14-Apr-2011, 05:09 PM #3
Thank you for your advice.

Do you know if it would be possible to automate the part where I have to copy the information from the email and paste it into the client software? Would it be viable for me to ask someone to develop a macro/some sort of script to do this, which is triggered by an email?
Computer Specs
Member with 276 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
27-Apr-2011, 04:26 PM #4
Basically, that is what pertH40 was saying. The submit on the web page will act like your cut, but since you are using memory from different machines to carry out the task, you have to paste it somewhere in the mean time. An SQL database works great for this. Once the data is there, the application can read the fields and place the data in the text boxes for you, like a paste.

On the email idea: You could set up an IO file reader and read in the data from the text file. The data layout should be predictable enough. If I'm not mistaken, if you don't format the email at all, it will be a text file despite the file extension.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!