Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Tech-Related News Tech-Related News
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Linux talent shortage drives up salaries

(!)

Member with 44,526 posts.

16-Feb-2012, 12:50 AM #1
Linux talent shortage drives up salaries
Quote:
It pays to be a Linux expert, and if you have any needs that are not being met by your employer and you have Linux skills, now might be a good time to start making some demands.
More

Computer Specs
Member with 40 posts.

Experience: Advanced
20-Feb-2012, 05:10 AM #2
Swedens market is actually trying to solve this shortage by having special 2-year high school courses in Linux and Network Systems Management. (A course I'm currently taking) The school is not allowed to keep education people within these subjects if the shortage disappears though.
I find it really exciting that linux- and unix-based solutions are on the rise.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 5,192 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
20-Feb-2012, 04:26 PM #3
A lot of people are unaware how widespread Linux use is. I was one until I read this:
http://www.focus.com/fyi/50-places-l...ht-not-expect/

Some real big ones!!
Member with 44,526 posts.

20-Feb-2012, 11:50 PM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarnak View Post
Swedens market is actually trying to solve this shortage by having special 2-year high school courses in Linux and Network Systems Management. (A course I'm currently taking) The school is not allowed to keep education people within these subjects if the shortage disappears though.
Does that mean it's taken off the curriculum all together or is just not mandatory?
Computer Specs
Member with 40 posts.

21-Feb-2012, 04:45 AM #5
The whole course is removed from the schooling system. Well.. Removed in that form. But Linux-courses are somewhat rare in Sweden and it seems to mostly exist on the high school or university level of education so the output of linux-administrators sure isn't high.

The school I'm attending, which claims to be the only one in Sweden with that course, only has one class per year with roughly 45 people in it so there won't suddenly be an overflow with IT-administrators.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 5,192 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
21-Feb-2012, 04:22 PM #6
Hi Zarnak,
Looks like you've cornered the market!!

Richard
Computer Specs
Member with 40 posts.

22-Feb-2012, 03:29 AM #7
Well. That's actually the case for all businesses.
In the case of linux however, it is just to uncommon (Well invisible to the common man) for the non-IT-interested person to be a viable course in school.
Which really is a wonderful thing since that means the school gets 45 linux-interested people of varying skill level who studies there every year.

Although linux-use is evolving. Currently the government runs linux-servers, IKEA has linux all the way out to the cashiers desktops not to mention TeliaSonera and other larger corporations in Sweden.
Hopefully this will go as far as to become more widespread as well as illuminate people that there are other alternatives besides Mac OS, Windows while also opening the way for other *nix's like BSD.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!