Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Tech Tips and Reviews Tech Tips and Reviews
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Cutting Cable/Satelite Bill

(!)

Member with 251 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
26-Jul-2012, 09:15 PM #1
Cutting Cable/Satelite Bill
I thinking about doing away with my satelite, my bill is way to high for me and just like taxes I know it'll never ever come down!
I have at&t internet with the 2wire box that has wifi. I know about roku, boxee, and one can use an xbox, playstation 3, etc.. But if you know of any others ways to watch tv via the internet please let me know.

I'm wanting to explore all my options as far as shows that are available for me to watch.I know there is Spreety tv, Hulu, Netflix.But is there a web site offering new shows, most from what I've seen are reruns? What else is out there?

I know I can buy the MLB package to watch all MLB games. Does any one know if the NFL offers the same kind of deal as the MLB? Also does anyone know if I can get the Big 10 Network live on line? Is there possibly a way to get local channels? I think the antenna thing is pretty much worthless these days, from what I've heard. Is anyone out there doing anything like this, if so what do you have and do you like it, is it worth it? What's the best way to go?

Also, my wifi isn't the strongest should I upgrade to something better, if so what?
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

26-Jul-2012, 11:19 PM #2
Your post reads like the classic case against cord-cutting. You're looking for a way to get exactly everything cable and satellite provide without paying for cable and satellite. It doesn't work that way.

For current network shows, you need an antenna and a digital tuner. If you can't get a signal, you're out of luck. There is no Internet package for the NFL. You can get local games with the antenna and digital tuner.

Hulu has the best selection of current TV shows. You'll pay $7.99 a month for that, and some will only be available to watch on a computer and not any other device.

Cord-cutting works great for the people who don't watch much TV at all and can get everything they need over the air or on their computer at the network's website.
pcatrocity has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 389 posts.

Experience: Beginner
29-Jul-2012, 01:39 AM #3
Save $ on phone
I really don't know a thing about the TV thing but I do know you can save $300+ yr with MagicJack Plus. It works when you have Cable or DSL internet service.
To be used without computer turned on, the it requires a cable connection to router and a telephone line and that plugs into its adapter for household current.
If you dot have a router, you can plug it directly into PC but only works when you log in.
I've been using MJ 4 yrs now with no regrets. I still use my original on computer with USB headset (much better than analog pin type).
I have cordless phone with 3 satellites on new MJ+ plugged into the wall.
I have no problem paying $30 yr instead of $30 month for telephone service.
inc. caller ID, call waiting, call forwarding, voicemail (accessible by phone or .wav file in email) can't accept collect calls from jailed drunk friends
Computer Specs
Member with 56,005 posts.

29-Jul-2012, 12:03 PM #4
I use Ooma for my phone and it works great.

http://www.ooma.com

You have the Ooma Basic and Ooma Premier
http://www.ooma.com/app/support/feat...mier-and-basic

I have the Ooma Basic so the phone cost me nothing to use. Just need high speed internet to make it work.
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

29-Jul-2012, 12:08 PM #5
The poster is asking about TV, not phone service.
Computer Specs

30-Jul-2012, 12:42 AM #6
Opps got off track from the post above mine.

OK one thing is the deals that a ISP has is to call and ask about them. Even after they are over after a set time you can call and ask to keep the deal and many will give you the same deal again because they are not losing money and they still have to paying them something.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&output=...w=1280&bih=591
Trusted Advisor with 19,648 posts.

02-Aug-2012, 08:39 AM #7
I cut the cord two months ago and even my kids were OK with it. They have just been using Netflix for the past year anways.
So we have Neflix Streaming only, Hulu Plus and Amazon Prime. We get 13 channels over the air.
Crackle is pretty awesome as well for Movies.
Saving myself about $70 every month.
Computer Specs

02-Aug-2012, 05:57 PM #8
All the newer 2nd and 3rd etc over the air local channels are free and more are coming out and I like them.

Got to call comcast on the deal to get a back again after seeing the next bill will be a lot more.
See if I can get a year this time.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!