Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Tech Tips and Reviews Tech Tips and Reviews
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Free Computer!!!

(!)

Member with 5,974 posts.

09-Feb-2004, 04:32 AM #1
Free Computer!!!
Computer is

Intel Celeron 2.4ghz
256Mb RAM
40Gb Hard Drive
Intel Extreme 64Mb onboard Graphics
DVD Rom
56K modem
Integrated Audio
Infinity Ext Speakers
Microsoft XP Home pre-installed
IBM E54 15" CRT Monitor
Includes Full 3 year IBM warranty

Of course as with everything there is a catch, and the catch is you watch 3 minutes of adverts per hour you use the computer. The site is www.metronomy.com
According to the site they will be releasing these comps end of feb/march.
They dont ask for any money or credit card details.

Still sounds too good to be true ?

Anyone got one ?
Senior Member with 3,015 posts.

09-Feb-2004, 11:51 AM #2
Sounds like a good deal. I don't think I would ever boot it up to their OS though. Just format c: and reinstall. No more ads.
Member with 5,531 posts.

09-Feb-2004, 12:31 PM #3
Joe2cool,

Hate to be the party pooper again - but after Angelize posted this in Random some months ago, I went to their site as I was considering getting a third system and this seemed like a great way to get it.

The terms and conditions state that you have to watch so many mins of ads per hour while online - with a 30 hour minimum per month. Apparently every month they send you an Ad update CD .... whether this is spyware or what I don't know. However they claim that they have a way to record who complies and who does not.

Though they do give you a two week grace period during the summer so you can take a vacation

Believe me I too thought about formating - but apparently they're too shrewd for that.

RSM123 / P. Pooper.

Richard.
Senior Member with 3,015 posts.

09-Feb-2004, 12:53 PM #4
From their web site:

Quote:
The following 5 key terms and conditions are for your guidance only, and do not constitute a legally binding agreement. Before delivery, you will be required to complete a written agreement, either by post or online.

1) On screen advertising: In exchange for your free PC, you must accept up to 3 minutes of on-screen advertising per hour of PC use. Every month, you will receive a cd containing adverts to be shown over the following four weeks. Each disc must be loaded onto your PC for the system to update. Should you fail to do this, your PC will be disabled.

2) The PC is lent to you for a term of 36 months, after which you will be offered a new computer and a new agreement, or you can simply return the old machine to a local collection point.

3) Your household must use the PC for at least 30hrs per calender month, or approximately 1 hour a day.

4) The PC must be connected to the internet at least once a month, and you must maintain an ISP (Broadband, 56k or ISDN) account throughout the term of the agreement.

5) The principle applicant should be 18 or over, and provide a home telephone number. We will conduct a security check linking you to the address given. Under certain circumstances, you may be requested to provide alternative proof of ID. This offer is restricted to one PC per household, and is only available to UK residents at this time.

If you accept these terms and conditions and consider yourself eligible, then please click on the 'Order your free PC' button to the left of your screen, and complete the short application form.
Your PC will be disabled? Bummer. I guess there really is no such thing as a free lunch.
Account Disabled with 2,025 posts.

09-Feb-2004, 12:58 PM #5
Quote:
only available to UK residents at this time

.........what kind of baloney is that ..is there a similar program for Canada ?
Member with 5,531 posts.

09-Feb-2004, 01:23 PM #6
Yes its called buy cheaper - no strings & get rebates. Something dealers here get from the manufacturer but owing to amnesia forget to pass on to the customer

Surely you don't begrudge a family who lives on a diet of Fish & Chips, and Eastenders a spyware filled pc
Senior Member with 1,864 posts.

Experience: On a learning curve (AGAIN)
09-Feb-2004, 01:33 PM #7
Having read about this scheme quite a bit over the past months, I did a little delving and couldn't come up with any noticeable catches, in fact I believe it may have something to do with the governments idea of getting a PC in every home...read a bit about that in the papers a while ago... ' BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU ' ....

Even so, after saying that I filled in the application form ( ooooh I can't resist freebies ) and there have been a few mails back and forth from them...Upshot my new PC will be delivered....last mail from them below....

I shall see what the online agreement is before finally committing, also you get a 14 day period in which if you change your mind the PC can be returned to them.....

I reckon the minutes I am supposed to be watching the adds will be used making coffee or peeling the veg etc....

Fourteen days should be long enough to work out if I want to keep it or not....also It would be used as a second machine, used only for anything I wouldn't mind anyone looking over my shoulder at... : Use it for all my grandsons games... TSG...Law sites etc...

------------------------------------------------------

Scheduled Delivery: April 15-25, 2004

IMPORTANT: If your details are correct and you wish to proceed with your order, simply press the reply button on your e-mail application and return this message to us. PLEASE NOTE: If you do not reply we will be unable to progress your order.

Should you wish to cancel your delivery, please click here: mailto:cancel@metronomy.com

30 days prior to your scheduled delivery, you will receive a unique reference number and link to our secure website, where you can complete our on-line agreement and confirm precise delivery details.

Should you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards,

Jacco Van Seventer

Customer Operations Director

Metronomy Desktop Marketing Limited

18 Soho Square

London W1D 3QL

E: jacco@metronomy.com
Computer Specs
Moderator - Gone but never forgotten with 47,973 posts.

Experience: Getting somewhere I hope
09-Feb-2004, 01:40 PM #8
Quote:
Originally posted by coderitr:
Sounds like a good deal. I don't think I would ever boot it up to their OS though. Just format c: and reinstall. No more ads.
I bet you sign an agreement saying you won't do anything like that!

09-Feb-2004, 01:46 PM #9
Afterthought... When...If ...I get the link to the online agreement, I'll post it here, see what you all make of it...I haven't decided yet whether to go ahead or not...depends on the agreement...

Still needs a it of thought....:
Computer Specs

09-Feb-2004, 01:58 PM #10
I think this one pretty much says it all!
Quote:
1) On screen advertising: In exchange for your free PC, you must accept up to 3 minutes of on-screen advertising per hour of PC use. Every month, you will receive a cd containing adverts to be shown over the following four weeks. Each disc must be loaded onto your PC for the system to update. Should you fail to do this, your PC will be disabled.

09-Feb-2004, 02:07 PM #11
Quote:
Originally posted by bassetman:
I think this one pretty much says it all!
I can waste 3 mins each hour making coffee or on the other machine...
Computer Specs

09-Feb-2004, 02:37 PM #12
LOL
Computer Specs
Member with 5,577 posts.

Experience: Advanced
09-Feb-2004, 03:01 PM #13
What you could do is dig up an old monitor, a cheap PCI video card, and buy 256MB of RAM, and run dual monitors, with the ads on the second monitor. If you already have the stuff lying around, it would be quite useful...that way you wouldn't have to see the ads, and the extra RAM would make up for any resources it takes up.

Of course, it's still a Celeron...so I guess anything you would be doing with it wouldn't be that CPU intensive....but still, this is a nice deal for a family that needs another PC, being online 30hrs a month is no problem for most people, and 3 minutes of ads per hour isn't bad at all.
Senior Member with 1,062 posts.

09-Feb-2004, 03:17 PM #14
3 minutes per hour advertising.
Imagine this situation, you are logged on the internet, five minutes later you are disconnected and shown a 15 second advert. you reconnect to the internet, 5 mins later kicked off again, another 15 sec advert.
Thats ......
3 minutes per hour advertising.
Computer Specs

09-Feb-2004, 03:48 PM #15
Did they say they DC you ISP to watch the ads?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!