Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Tech Tips and Reviews Tech Tips and Reviews
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Is Spybot and Adaware past their prime?

(!)

Senior Member with 1,156 posts.

Experience: Advanced
16-Apr-2005, 12:14 PM #1
Talking Is Spybot and Adaware past their prime?
Although many of us have used and recommended both Adaware and Spybot
an enlightingly article in Aprils edition of PC World points out several flaws in
both programs, their scanning efficiency is 65% for Adaware and 54% for
Spybot, neither detects suspicious processes in memory. Avast Virus Cleaner
checks memory first and then checks your file system. For a member who was
having problems with his computer yesterday. I recommended Avast Virus
Cleaner, he posted back that it had removed 34 viruses from his computer.
Avast has won numerous awards for its various programs, heres an example.
http://www.avast.com/eng/awards.html
http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_cleaner.html
http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html

Last edited by Dr Dave; 16-Apr-2005 at 12:19 PM..
Trusted Advisor with 15,422 posts.

16-Apr-2005, 12:26 PM #2
Hi, Dr Dave hope alls well with you.
Interesting review on Spybot and AdAware..
Food for thought eh, What would be the alternative to these two programs, as their success rate seem very low?
to the Avast Virus Cleaner very good.
Any thoughts?
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor - Gone but never forgotten with 8,684 posts.

16-Apr-2005, 12:27 PM #3
I don't think SpyBot and AdAware are past their prime, as they still are the best Freeware Malware detection and removal apps.

Your post seems to be implying that the Avast Cleaner is a better replacement program??

Unless I have completely misread what the Avast cleaner is, it is a tool that detects and removes a selective number of the more common Viruses and Worms and does not detect Malware at all. It is similar to the McAfee Stinger product.
GPaDavis GPaDavis is offline GPaDavis has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 178 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
16-Apr-2005, 12:27 PM #4
Question I thought ????
I understand that Avast is an anti-virus program, That being the case, it would be quite different from anti-adware type programs such as Adaware and Spy-bot S&D. One doesn't duplicate the other.

Tried Avast quite sometime back but could never get the ding-dang thing to install! (Win XP, SP1 very few Services running -- bear-bones minimum w/IE totally removed). Have used AVG since its inception some years back with no virii infections at all. I just installed SP1 recently in order to improve my 'puter's USB 2.0 operation, otherwise I'd still be w/o SP1 as well.

What was the web page for the Adaware & Spybot articles you mentioned?

Thanks,
Bob

16-Apr-2005, 12:53 PM #5
WhitPhil, I stand by my post.
Senior Member with 4,823 posts.

Experience: no longer reading the "dummies" books
16-Apr-2005, 12:57 PM #6
I must admit though, it is good to see Micro$oft startting to take the issue much more seriously now, with their antispyware beta, though they still have a bit to do

16-Apr-2005, 12:58 PM #7
GPa Davis, Its page starts on page 68.
Member with 148 posts.

Experience: Computer Repair Business Owner
16-Apr-2005, 01:08 PM #8
As I have stated several times in the past, Spybot and Adaware are not very effective in this day and age. Yes, their time has passed. Others' technology has improved while theirs has basically stayed the same. I would use them maybe as an addition to something else but NEVER as the primary option. If you are using Windows XP then the MS AntiSpyware product is your best option for FREE spyware removal. If you just want to do a thorough cleaning of your system, then I would download the free 30 Day trial of Webroots Spysweeper. After the 30 days you can just delete it and use the MS AntiSpyware, or make the purchase. It's well worth it. I have enclosed a link to an independent spyware review site that does a complete breakdown of the most popular spyware removers and needless to say, it ranks Spybot as simply an AWFUL product.
Here is the link: http://www.adwarereport.com/mt/archives/000005.html
Account Disabled with 2,026 posts.

16-Apr-2005, 01:11 PM #9
I'm not very high on Spybot any longer, not because there is something wrong with the program. It just does not seem to be able to detect all the new variations of spyware (The bad guys constantly try out new ways to fool spyware programs.) But the past several weeks Spybot has improved! If you're looking for a free solution, it's hard to beat Ad-Aware. I've found no anti-spyware which works better than SpySweeper. Unlike many spyware protection tools that simply disable spyware programs without complete removal of all related files, Spy Sweeper seeks to whisk your system clean of all spyware traces to help you maintain optimum PC performance.

No matter which you run, whether it's a free tool or one you purchased, you must remember to update it regularly. If you don't, the definitions it uses to scan your PC will be quickly out of date, and it won't be much good at rooting out spyware on your system.

Here's a great cleaning tool from a-squared (aČ) is a complementary product to antivirus software and desktop firewalls on MS Windows computers. Antivirus software specializes in detecting classic viruses. Many available products have weaknesses in detecting other malicious software (Malware) like Trojans, Dialers, Worms and Spyware (Adware). aČ fills the gap that malware writers exploit.
When on page, scroll down to aČ Free at:

http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/

The spyware problem is getting worse, and sooner or later, you're going to have to deal with it -- and regularly keep dealing with it.

Unless, of course, you get a Mac.............
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor - Gone but never forgotten with 8,684 posts.

16-Apr-2005, 01:23 PM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Dave
WhitPhil, I stand by my post.

Does that mean that you are recommending that a Virus scanner be used in place of Spybot and/or AdAware?
Account Disabled with 633 posts.

16-Apr-2005, 02:08 PM #11
If one is making the claim that a single application (such as Avast) is good enough replacement over AdAware & Spybot, it shows the intelligence of the poster. There is not one single product on the market or freeware download that is capable & powerful enough to be THE 1 and only virus & spyware removal utilty.

All detection/removal utilities (yes even Avast) has flaws and cannot boast 100% detection rate. In this day & age, where viruses & spyware proliferate so easily due to the advent of the internet, it's foolish to rely on one single program so heavily.

Edit: I don't mean to imply that Avast is weak or is not a good program. For freeware it's good enough, but certainly not good enough to completely replace the arsenal of utilities in my bag. I'm always a little cautious of people on the internet making claims as Dr.Dave who think that one single program is a panacea and falsely believe it's a replacement above all other applications.

Last edited by Tushman; 16-Apr-2005 at 02:23 PM..

16-Apr-2005, 03:32 PM #12
Tushman, You said,If one is making the claim that a single application (such as Avast) is good enough replacement over AdAware & Spybot, it shows the intelligence of the poster. You show me where in my post that I believe that a person should only use one program, no you can't because you read into the post something thats wasn't there. In this particular case I thought that Avast Virus Cleaner would do the job, and it did by removing 34 viruses from his computer. Avast is not the only program I use, my favorite is Webroot's Spysweeper. But I restate that the days of Spybot and Adaware are numbered
if they don't keep their spyware definitions up to date, you don't think that Microsoft would spend millions to buy Giant Software and develop their own
spyware program if it wasn't necessary, they saw a need because the need was not being met.

16-Apr-2005, 03:41 PM #13
C Remedies wrote, As I have stated several times in the past, Spybot and Adaware are not very effective in this day and age. Yes, their time has passed. Others' technology has improved while theirs has basically stayed the same.

Thats exactly the point I was trying to make. Dr Dave

16-Apr-2005, 04:17 PM #14
Heres a very good free program.
http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/
Member with 22,468 posts.

16-Apr-2005, 04:35 PM #15
I would expect an anti-virus program to be able to remove viruses. That doesn't seem like such a remarkable claim. Also don't see why that should necessarily mean that "the days of Spybot and Adaware are numbered". They are different types of programs.

One is primarily for removing viruses as you noted. The others are primarily for removing spyware.

For example, as I recall PC World didn't even include AVG as part of the spyware testing. Seems like comparing a bit of apples and oranges going on.

So I'm a little unclear why the two types of programs are trying to be compared and conclusions like this being made. Perhaps you can explain it a bit better to clarify your position of trying to group AVG with Spybot and Ad-Aware.

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!