Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Tech Tips and Reviews Tech Tips and Reviews
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Computer Brand ratings

(!)

Member with 54 posts.

26-Jul-2005, 09:00 PM #1
Computer Brand ratings
Could someone please tell me where I can read ratings on computers?
I would like to read honest brand ratings where someone is not trying to sell me something. Does anyone recommend buying HP computers?

Thank you
Computer Specs
Member with 8,812 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
26-Jul-2005, 10:34 PM #2
Never, ever, buy a HP PC.. Nor a Gateway for that matter..

HP doesn't stand behind it's PC's.
Member with 208 posts.

Experience: Einstein
27-Jul-2005, 04:54 AM #3
Well, it depends who you are or where you work and what product.

HP stands behind its printers. If you work in a business, they stand behind their computers.

If you look at Dell, their support sucks. Lets say you need something from them. Well you have to convice a Judge, Jurry, and HelpDesk person you really need replacement parts!

However, if you work in a company with Premier support and are a dell certified tech, you can get anything you want in about 30 seconds.
Member with 198 posts.

27-Jul-2005, 12:10 PM #4
My daughter and my niece have had HP computers for the last 7 years and both are still going strong. Never had a problem with them.

The fact is, that there are those people who just do not like a particular brand and speak negative of it. Maybe they had a bad experience with an HP. I have a Dell and have had to replace the speakers, hard drive, CD Rom drive, and the mouse all in less than 3 years. Apparently, I got a lemon and that has colored my perception of Dell computers since this is my first computer. My daughter and niece have never had to replace anything on their HP.
Hp's are good computers. Gateway, no way.

Jillian
Ciberblade has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 16,256 posts.

27-Jul-2005, 12:59 PM #5
I've not had to deal with HP support on their computer side...only their printer side -- which they were great at.

As for PC brand & support...I like VAIO
Senior Member with 460 posts.

27-Jul-2005, 05:50 PM #6
I don't like any brands. Unless you are a business, none of the brand names care about you. To them you are nothing more than a cost of doing business, and that is how you are treated.
Computer Specs
Member with 56,039 posts.

27-Jul-2005, 06:17 PM #7
Well you can by the business PC's from Dell, Gateway etc.
On Dell the business PC's tech support calls are here in the USA too.

But you can read about reviews at...

http://reviews.cnet.com/Desktops/2001-3118_7-0.html

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/artic...,121782,00.asp
Senior Member with 111 posts.

Experience: Advanced
27-Jul-2005, 07:49 PM #8
everyone has different experiences with all computer makers,its quite wrong to advise against buying a product soley on your experience as everyones will differ, in fact every manufacturer of every product in the world has defective or prone to become defective products.

reviews of pc's is mostly worthless, one person says great, the othe says bad, just weigh them out and choose which pc has the features you want at a price you can afford.

oh and make sure to get any extended warranties you can, i bought a 4 year one from circuit city and had my HP repaired 5 times in 2 years..$2,475 total worth of repairs FOR FREE
Member with 208 posts.

Experience: Einstein
27-Jul-2005, 11:39 PM #9
I will tell you that Dell treats most of their customres like crap, but they do stand behind their warrantee after you talk to them long enough.

I still advise people who ask me what to buy to get a Dell. I just tell them, "Get a Dell and be sure to get the At Home support and 24/7 phone support for several years"

Then I explain. If it breaks, they have to come out and fix it free.

If you have any questions, you will call Dell not me.
Member with 14,681 posts.

28-Jul-2005, 12:34 AM #10
Some HP computers have non-standard power supplies that are a pain in the behind to replace.
Most gateways are ok, but the ones in really Slim cases are crap- shoddy parts and expensive upgrades.
Most Dell systems are pretty solid, but their included tech support isn't so good (although the systems are good, so you might not need tech support.)
IMO Apple has the best quality for desktops.
Member with 8,812 posts.

28-Jul-2005, 08:43 AM #11
My company placed a order for two switches from gateway over two months ago. I've called tech support at least seven times trying to get them, and still haven't recieved them, even though they were supposedly in stock when ordered.

As far as HP, our company lost 5 HP PC's last year due to having bad capacitors on the motherboards, HP refused to replace the defective motherboards free of charge so we will no longer buy from them. Also, I got extremely dissed at having to speak to customer representatives that could not understand english and would not let me talk to a supervisor.

If you really want to have the least problems, build it yourself.
Member with 14,681 posts.

28-Jul-2005, 08:48 AM #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrootdude
lost 5 HP PC's last year due to having bad capacitors on the motherboards
I lost 2 gateways because of that- it was a problem with that model having a motherboard that shouldn't have been released. What was I thinking when I replaced it with another board of the exact same model??
jp1203 has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 3,427 posts.

02-Aug-2005, 08:41 PM #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbirk
I will tell you that Dell treats most of their customres like crap, but they do stand behind their warrantee after you talk to them long enough.

I still advise people who ask me what to buy to get a Dell. I just tell them, "Get a Dell and be sure to get the At Home support and 24/7 phone support for several years"

Then I explain. If it breaks, they have to come out and fix it free.

If you have any questions, you will call Dell not me.
I have had a dell for 4 years, had very few problems, e-mailed them, solved right away every time.

My Aunt has a Gateway, a big old 550. She has had no issues with it, and support seems to be good there too.

I say, if you get an HP or Compaq, then be careful. Some are lemons. I've seen some that when you take off the cover you see nothing but drives, no space for anything,

J.S.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,983 posts.

02-Aug-2005, 11:16 PM #14
I really like Toshiba laptops. Never had a problem.
Computer Specs
Member with 16,270 posts.

03-Aug-2005, 07:46 AM #15
I can only speak for the canadian branch of Dell's tech support. I couldn't believe the service I recieved. Prompt, knowledgeable, polite and quick to act.

My notebook mobo took its last breath and I had called tech support, ran through a few processes over the phone, he arranged for pickup which was the following day and i had it back in 6 days and that was some 2500 miles away.

Pretty darn good service if you ask me.

In addition I recieved an email survey on the service I recieved as well as a followup phone call a few days later..

I too was sceptical after hearing rumors but I have a differing opinion after a first hand experience.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!