Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Tech Tips and Reviews Tech Tips and Reviews
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Deep Freeze Software

(!)

Senior Member with 202 posts.

Experience: Advanced
17-Aug-2006, 02:59 PM #1
Deep Freeze Software
Here's some software which really does stop EVERYTHING from changing your PC be it Viruses, Trojans, rogue programs, accidental deletion etc. The list goes on, it really is the only thing I know which completely protects your PC and leaves it in the pristine state you meant it to be in.

Any changes made on a PC are discarded at the next boot up and though I've been using it for some time now I cannot fault it. There are only two modes to the program which are 'Deep Freeze' and 'Thawed'. You choose the 'Thawed' mode when you want to make changes to your PC or install programs, the rest of the time just keep it in 'Deep Freeze' for complete peace of mind. It couldn't be simpler to use and you can assign a password to the program so no one else can interfere with it.

Just a few notes on operation though wouldn't go amiss. You have to decide at installation time which drives you want to protect. In my opinion it is enough to protect Drive C: as this is where the vast number of problems arise. Also the GUI is invoked by pressing the Shift key and double clicking the icon on the Taskbar. Here you simply choose the mode 'Deep Freeze or 'Thawed', click OK then restart your computer. Check it out here

http://www.faronics.com/html/deepfreeze.asp

and not expensive.....

https://store3.esellerate.net/store/...ageCatalog.htm

22-Aug-2006, 07:28 AM #2
As an update, I recently installed Kodak Easyshare and don't ask me why as I wouldn't have thought so either but it completely messed up my system. Switching off my PC, then rebooting I was back again at square one as if nothing had happened. The only caveat with Deep Freeze is to remember NOT to save data to your protected disk i.e. C:, but as I never do it's no problem. It's like having an instant System Restore but with one exception, it always works. This obviously means that you can install any program while in protected mode without fear what damage or upset is going to ensue. If the program works well you can install it for real later. I have never felt more relaxed about my PC knowing whatever I may do wrong on it my sins will be forgiven on the next boot up.

Last edited by Saxon; 22-Aug-2006 at 07:34 AM..
Computer Specs
Member with 47,118 posts.

Experience: Einstein Jr. Indeed
08-Sep-2006, 07:32 AM #3
I think i may buy this. any other remarks about it ??? bad or good......

08-Sep-2006, 07:50 AM #4
Still no probems to date. It's getting to the the point where I wonder if it's worth updating my virus, spyware checkers etc though I still do. Occasionally I do a virus and spy checker scan etc and they always come up with nothing, zilch!!

Nothing changes ever, no file corruption, no application failures or unwanted changes, no boot failures, no CMOS changes. You all must think I'm indulging in hyperbole but honestly I have to pinch myself sometimes, it's all too unreal, but I'm one happy chappy since I installed it. I have to repeat though, the trade off is you can't save ANYTHING to your protected disk(s) but that trade off I can live with.
Computer Specs

08-Sep-2006, 11:39 PM #5
OK saxon, I bought this program and so far like it. Your instructions work great..

09-Sep-2006, 10:46 AM #6
Glad you like it and my guess is you'll like it even more as time goes on. If you feel a bit restricted by Deep Freeze like when you want to tweak an application's settings for example without rebooting in Thawed mode, there is a companion program available called Anti-Executable which allows a white list of programs chosen by you to be changed while in Deep Freeze mode. The rest of your computer is still in Deep Freeze and protected and the Anti-Executable program can be switched on and off on the fly which means (as I understand it) you only need to activate it when needed. Full details however are given on the website. I am going to buy it myself and will let you you know how well it works, so watch this post.

Errata! Looks like I misunderstood the purpose of Anti-Executable. It seems intended to stop executables from running or being installed and maybe not as I suggested to allow changes to an application while running Deep Freeze. It was described on the website as being compatible with Deep Freeze and I seem to have got the wrong impression of it, sorry.

Regards
Saxon

Last edited by Saxon; 09-Sep-2006 at 11:13 AM..
Computer Specs

09-Sep-2006, 11:00 AM #7
Yes indeed, keep me up on this program.I may buy that program if it works as well for you ,and you understand how to use it.So far the instructions you gave me was easy.
Computer Specs

09-Sep-2006, 07:20 PM #8
Well I don't need that then................
Computer Specs

09-Sep-2006, 07:22 PM #9
I have been all over the net downloaded a ton of junk and went to real bad web sites and still no problems. This deep freeze is great.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,147 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
09-Sep-2006, 09:31 PM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxon
Still no probems to date. It's getting to the the point where I wonder if it's worth updating my virus, spyware checkers etc though I still do.
If I understand your explanation correctly, you can't update your anti-virus or spyware checkers with DeepFreeze on, is that correct? So, if I have automatic updates of AVG, Ewido, Microsoft Windows, Windows Defender, or automatic defragmenting, etc. it can't be accomplished while in DeepFreeze?

What do you do for them - turn it to the "thaw" mode and update them and then return to deep freeze? Doesn't it get confusing? I guess I am too lazy to update all the programs manually. It (DeepFreeze) does sound interesting - I just will have to learn more about the particulars, I guess. I looked at the tutorial and website. I think this might be very good for people who have others using their computers, but I am not sure about an individual user who is a control freak like me -
Computer Specs

09-Sep-2006, 10:50 PM #11
Also to open it you can press: ctrl+shift+alt+f6 this opens deep freeze also.
Computer Specs

09-Sep-2006, 10:51 PM #12
Thats correct ..you have to thaw to up date........then deep freeze again to protect the p.c.

10-Sep-2006, 08:52 AM #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Burns
I think this might be very good for people who have others using their computers, but I am not sure about an individual user who is a control freak like me -
I understand where you are coming from but isn't it just a question of habits? Are you not a control freak because you feel you have to be on top of everything in case something goes wrong, because you have no confidence your computer will be safe from all the dross out there? Well yes, that's how I used to feel because let's face it, it's going from bad to worse with viruses trojans rootkits and all that stuff. I for one was getting sick and tired of spending lots of time maintaining my computer when what you, I, and everyone should be doing is enjoying their computing not being hassled by it.

This is the only time I've been able to say confidently that my computing is now hassle free, totally and I wish the same for everyone including your good self. It's not a dream it's for real,
IT WORKS!!
Computer Specs
Member with 1,147 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
10-Sep-2006, 12:20 PM #14
Just a few questions - you switch to "thaw":

1. When you NEED to download something to C drive?

2. For all updates to antivirus, anti-spyware, etc, ?

3. For defragment?

This program requires elimination all automatic updates to ANY programs, I guess?

The clue is to switch to thaw and it works like "normal" - the switch back to DeepFreeze and it keeps all the info you entered during "thaw"?

I have a home wireless network - but do not use file sharing or printing - is there any problem involved in this area?

Appreciate your patience in explaining it to me. Thanks.

10-Sep-2006, 12:50 PM #15
Here are the answers to your questions 1 to 3

1. You don't have to switch to 'Thaw' but you must move the download to another drive before shutting down or restarting your computer

2 Yes

3. Yes

And here are the answers to your paragraphs 1 to 3

1. You must be in Thawed mode to update

2. Yes

3. No, you are simply protecting your standalone computer or drives you wish to protect. Nothing else is affected.

Hope that answers your questions adequately. Deep Freeze does one job only and doesn't interfere or 'lock up' any local or remote drive you haven't included at the time you install it. There's another point, you cannot later protect other drives after installing Deep Freeze. You would have to uninstall it then install again with your new drive choices.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!