Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Tech Tips and Reviews Tech Tips and Reviews
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Iolo System Mechanic 7.0 Professional, Lack of customer service/relations

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 0 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
30-Mar-2007, 01:59 AM #61
At Last, a reply from Iolo
Told you I wouldn't give up

Dear Tim,

System Mechanic 7 Professional is Vista compatible just as it is compatible
with windows xp. What I mean by that is it should run just fine in a 32 bit
environment of Vista. If Vista is installed as a 64 bit operating system
then it will not be able to operate in that environment, the same is true
for windows xp, if xp home or pro is installed there will be no problem, if
xp 64 is installed the product will not function. Windows Vista seems to
have caused some confusion among people who use computers because there is
an option during installation to install as a 32 bit operating system or a
64 bit operating system, what people do not seem to realize is that 95
percent of software that will function in a 32 bit environment will not be
able to run in a 64 bit environment, anyone who has a 64 bit environment of
windows needs to look for software that has a specific seal on the box that
says it will function in a 64 bit environment. If you are unsure of your
version of Vista you can right-click on the 'computer' icon and select
properties, on the general page it should list whether you have a 32 bit OS
or a 64 bit OS. If you have a 32 bit operating system and are still having
problems please send me a detailed description of the issues you are
experiencing.

Here is my Reply

Michael,

Thank you for your reply. You say that SM7 Pro is Vista compatible, well um
yes and no. The SM part of the software works but the Drive Scrubber and
file termination in Search and Recovery 4 does not work in a Vista 32 bit
environment.
The only way to enable file termination is to run the program as
administrator and in compatibility mode for windows xp SP2 (even then the
right click option for file termination doesn't work) when searching for
files to terminate, the files are found but are unable to be
terminated........... it will show you a box that says that it is
terminating the selected files but when it is finished the files are still
there.

The clean drives part of drive scrubber also does not work in Windows Vista
32 bit...... the erase drives part does work but the file wipe part does not
work.

So... all in all I have paid for a product that claims to be Vista
compatible but isn't and really all I have got for my money is SM7 (without
the PRO)
Please can you refund my money?

BTW here are a few replies I have received from people on other forums

System Mechanic is a complete waste of money and time, no
matter what version of Windows it is installed on. It is a complete piece
of trash.

Second, if the company that makes it told you it is Vista Compatible, and it
is not, *DEMAND* a refund, and use the money on something that is not a
waste..........

If Iolo say its compatible and it is not, then clearly they are wrong. They
are even claiming that some features will not work therefore they are
admitting it is not compatible.........

Dump System Mechanic.. programs of that genre have never been any good.......

So Iolo is saying it is Vista compatible but that a lot of the features
won't work and they know it. Then how is it Vista compatible? Return it.......

Regards All

Timax
Member with 123 posts.

Experience: Advanced
30-Mar-2007, 03:26 PM #62
Interesting reply from them and the stuff about 32 and 64 bit OS. My guess is that very few users are aware of this technical issue! Thanks for sharing it!

Boy am I glad I am holding back on going to vista.

Once again I admire your tenacity!
Computer Specs

31-Mar-2007, 03:58 AM #63
Thanks Escalader,

I am working at getting my money back via my bank but IOLO won't respond to my request for a copy of the original purchase order............ Quelle suprise!

If we all keep chipping away at them they might listen

Timax
Computer Specs

05-Apr-2007, 03:07 AM #64
Wink Another reply from IOLO (Same old Story)
After a persistent battering from yours truly (I must have over half of thier case files) I have recieved another reply from My (nearly) good buddy Michael from IOLO.

This is what he has to say....................

Dear Timothy,

The first thing we would need to do is completely remove the version of the product you have and then download version 7.1.8, which was released Saturday, and then have you try these components that are not working for you. I have tested these components here on a Vista machine and have not had a problem getting them to function correctly. I will send you specific instructions on how to do what I have asked above in my next email.

I keep telling him that the drive scrubber and search and recover parts of Sys Mech 7 Pro do not work in a 32 bit vista environment but he will not acknowledge this..

Ho Hum !

Off on Hols Now for 3 weeks

will try again when I return

Bye Y'all (for my American friends)

Cya for all others....

Timax
Computer Specs

10-Apr-2007, 09:29 PM #65
I'm enlisting.....
See they are looking to hire people

jobs@iolo.com

Everyone should apply at least 10 times a day.

I want to get a customer service job so I can answer my numerous complaints that I have filed and have yet to get a response.
Computer Specs

10-Apr-2007, 09:42 PM #66
My application request
Would like an application so that I can work for your
customer service department. That way I know I will
get an answer to my previously filed complaints.

Does ripping people off pay well?????

http://www.datcp.state.wi.us/core/co...protection.jsp

Will let you know if I get a job offer.

Experience: Computer Illiterate
17-Apr-2007, 02:00 PM #67
Timothy Please help me on SM7
Timax47 = Timothy, I tried to send you an email message but I was not allowed so I am sorry to have to post my message here. Please show me how to remove SM7 from my system completely. I shall be very grateful to you. Thank you.

Regards
Hydr
=========================================================

QUOTE=Timax47]After a persistent battering from yours truly (I must have over half of thier case files) I have recieved another reply from My (nearly) good buddy Michael from IOLO.

This is what he has to say....................

Dear Timothy,

The first thing we would need to do is completely remove the version of the product you have and then download version 7.1.8, which was released Saturday, and then have you try these components that are not working for you. I have tested these components here on a Vista machine and have not had a problem getting them to function correctly. I will send you specific instructions on how to do what I have asked above in my next email.

I keep telling him that the drive scrubber and search and recover parts of Sys Mech 7 Pro do not work in a 32 bit vista environment but he will not acknowledge this..

Ho Hum !

Off on Hols Now for 3 weeks

will try again when I return

Bye Y'all (for my American friends)

Cya for all others....

Timax[/QUOTE]
Member with 123 posts.

17-Apr-2007, 04:11 PM #68
[QUOTE=hydr]Timax47 = Timothy, I tried to send you an email message but I was not allowed so I am sorry to have to post my message here. Please show me how to remove SM7 from my system completely. I shall be very grateful to you. Thank you.

Regards
Hydr

I think he is on vacation.

To remove anything software wise,
>start>control panel>add or remove software>iolo SM7>uninstall.

You should also find any folders it created and delete them.

If it were me I would also run a defrag after this is done, then a registry clean up program.

If you really are needing more help let me know. Eg FW,ASW and AV software.

17-Apr-2007, 04:28 PM #69
Dear Escalader

I really need your help. I followed your instruction and uninstalled SM7. After uninstalling SM7, I did a reboot and then deleted all the folders created by SM7 in program files directory. I didn't delete any file from windows directory because I do NOT know what files to delete.

After all that, I tried to reinstall the latest release of sm7, I was told that the license for SM7 is being disabled. The installation went no further. What should I do or must do before I can install a clean copy of sm7?

Please help me.

Thank you.

Yours sincerely
Hydr

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Escalader said:

To remove anything software wise,
>start>control panel>add or remove software>iolo SM7>uninstall.

You should also find any folders it created and delete them.

If it were me I would also run a defrag after this is done, then a registry clean up program.

If you really are needing more help let me know. Eg FW,ASW and AV software.
Member with 123 posts.

17-Apr-2007, 08:17 PM #70
Whoops!
I really need your help. I followed your instruction and uninstalled SM7. After uninstalling SM7, I did a reboot and then deleted all the folders created by SM7 in program files directory. I didn't delete any file from windows directory because I do NOT know what files to delete.

After all that, I tried to reinstall the latest release of sm7, I was told that the license for SM7 is being disabled. The installation went no further. What should I do or must do before I can install a clean copy of sm7?

Hi hydr:

When you said remove SM7 completely I took it literally! Had you told me you intended to install the latest release ( not the same as giving up on the product) I would never have given you the advice I did to uninstall including the folders.

What vendors usually do is store the license numbers in folders for upgrades.

Tell me now what original cd's or dvd's you have from the firm. Do you have SM6?or SM7 on cd? Do you have an email from them when you ordered it that usually has the install instructions and the license number.

If you have SM 6 you can try installing that from scratch and follow every single step they give you for the install. Then from that version your upgrade may work. No promises of course but it's worth a shot.

I apologize for this but incomplete problem definition is fatal in this world!

18-Apr-2007, 09:05 AM #71
Dear Escalader

I should be the one who should have apologized to you. Yesterday was the first ever time I have used a forum. I have never sent a message via forum before. I didn't even know how to quote your message except copy and paste. I am sorry.

I downloaded SM 7.0.3 trial from IOLO site sometimes ago but because of Vista compatibility issue, I stopped using it. Yesterday I read your forum here and went to IOLO to download SM 7.1.8.

Before I installed SM 7.1.8, I first uninstalled SM 7.0.3. When I installed SM 7.1.8, I got a message telling me that the old license key is being disabled, and I could go no further. Until I can completely removed the previous installation and so on, I am NOT allowed to install SM7.

What should and must I do in order to remove SM7 completely? I noted that you wrote, using a registry software to clear my registry too. But, which registry cleaner should I use? I have NO registry cleaner on my machine just now but I can always install one recommended.

PS: I have NO SM6 either but I suppose IOLO site should still have a copy.

Please kindly assist.

Thank you very much for being so kind and helpful.

Yours sincerely
Hydr

=============================
escalader said
When you said remove SM7 completely I took it literally! Had you told me you intended to install the latest release ( not the same as giving up on the product) I would never have given you the advice I did to uninstall including the folders.

What vendors usually do is store the license numbers in folders for upgrades.

Tell me now what original cd's or dvd's you have from the firm. Do you have SM6?or SM7 on cd? Do you have an email from them when you ordered it that usually has the install instructions and the license number.

If you have SM 6 you can try installing that from scratch and follow every single step they give you for the install. Then from that version your upgrade may work. No promises of course but it's worth a shot.

I apologize for this but incomplete problem definition is fatal in this world!
Member with 123 posts.

18-Apr-2007, 01:50 PM #72
[QUOTE=hydr]Dear Escalader

I should be the one who should have apologized to you. Yesterday was the first ever time I have used a forum. I have never sent a message via forum before. I didn't even know how to quote your message except copy and paste. I am sorry. Not a problem, 1st the easy thing, when replying to a post there is a button lower right saying quote, when you click on that the whole post will replicate itself in your reply.

I downloaded SM 7.0.3 trial from IOLO site sometimes ago but because of Vista compatibility issue, I stopped using it. Yesterday I read your forum here and went to IOLO to download SM 7.1.8. HAVE YOU PAID FOR SM7 7.1.8?

Before I installed SM 7.1.8, I first uninstalled SM 7.0.3. When I installed SM 7.1.8, I got a message telling me that the old license key is being disabled, and I could go no further. Until I can completely removed the previous installation and so on, I am NOT allowed to install SM7. Yes I understand what they are saying, I have a fear they may want to charge you again if you have already paid!

What should and must I do in order to remove SM7 completely? I don't know! Are you on vista? If you are I'm not working with it!

I noted that you wrote, using a registry software to clear my registry too. But, which registry cleaner should I use? I have NO registry cleaner on my machine just now but I can always install one recommended. Again on vista I don't know for sure how mine would work. But here is an ad for it saying they give basic support for Vista. Use the trial version only to make sure your PC likes it before buying it:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Editor's Choice Registry Cleaner
Don't compromise your PC Registry with the second best!
World's most popular Registry Cleaner with 300,000 plus downloads per week.
Recommended by experts and editors around the world as the best Registry Cleaner.
FREE award-winning customer support for all users.
Cleans Registry, Fixes PC errors and optimizes PC for better performance.
Easy to use. Designed for both, expert and novice users.
100% Guaranteed.
With Registry Mechanic you can safely clean, repair and optimize the Windows registry with a few simple mouse clicks! Problems with the Windows registry are a common cause of Windows crashes, slow performance and error messages. By using a registry cleaner regularly and fixing registry errors your system should not only be more stable but it will also help improve your system performance without expensive hardware upgrades. Learn more about the importance of a clean registry with our registry insight.

[+] Click to EnlargeRegistry Mechanic uses a high-performance detection algorithm to quickly identify missing and invalid references in your Windows registry. These problems can occur for many reasons including being left-behind after the un-installation or incorrect removal of software, by missing or corrupt hardware drivers, or orphaned startup programs.

With a few easy steps Registry Mechanic will scan your entire registry for any invalid entries and provides a list of the registry errors found, you can then choose to selectively clean each item or automatically repair them all. For your convenience and protection Registry Mechanic can also make a backup of any repairs made so that you can easily recover any changes if required.

Registry Mechanic Information
Current Version: 6.0
File Size: 4,753 KB
Operating System: Designed for Windows 98, Me, 2000 and XP, with basic support for Windows Vista™
Release Date: November 8, 2006
Designed to: Clean and compact your registry to optimize your PC for better performance.
Trial Limitations: The trial is time unlimited and removes problems found in 6 sections of the registry only. A registered version is required to remove all detected problems.

One tool I do suggest for you is CCleaner which will clean a lot of junk off your PC that you likely don't need. It also has a registry cleaner but some guys say avoid it. I use it fine so opinions vary. Again I warn you I have 0 vista experience! CCleaner web site does say it works on vista.

http://www.ccleaner.com/

Even after you do these things you still won't have SM 7 installed! But if you haven't paid for it, I would forget the product. This whole thread was about poor support and lack of vista compatibility! So why push for trouble you may not need?

If you have vista, and want Sm7 put in a support request at iolo on this license issue, you failed to say if you actually have a licence code or an email saying how to install, but so be it!

If you think you need better performance from your PC there are other things you can do no doubt, but what is it you are trying to achieve here? Original poster hasn't succeeded yet, why not stop and wait for him to succeed or not and go from there?

If I were you unless you have some sort of non performance issue on your PC just forget the whole thing on SM 7 and enjoy your PC!

18-Apr-2007, 02:13 PM #73
Dear Escalader

Thank you so much for your kindest assistance.

I would have liked to pay for the license if I could get SM7 installed and worked, but, SM7 simply refused to be installed.

Now after listening to your advice, I have decided NOT to use SM7. I will try out other software which you have kindly suggested. At least, I will try getting my registry cleaned up.

Many many thanks to your useful advice and information.

Thank you.

Yours sincerely
Hydr

=================================

[quote=escalader]

Dear Escalader

I should be the one who should have apologized to you. Yesterday was the first ever time I have used a forum. I have never sent a message via forum before. I didn't even know how to quote your message except copy and paste. I am sorry. Not a problem, 1st the easy thing, when replying to a post there is a button lower right saying quote, when you click on that the whole post will replicate itself in your reply.

I downloaded SM 7.0.3 trial from IOLO site sometimes ago but because of Vista compatibility issue, I stopped using it. Yesterday I read your forum here and went to IOLO to download SM 7.1.8. HAVE YOU PAID FOR SM7 7.1.8?

Before I installed SM 7.1.8, I first uninstalled SM 7.0.3. When I installed SM 7.1.8, I got a message telling me that the old license key is being disabled, and I could go no further. Until I can completely removed the previous installation and so on, I am NOT allowed to install SM7. Yes I understand what they are saying, I have a fear they may want to charge you again if you have already paid!

What should and must I do in order to remove SM7 completely? I don't know! Are you on vista? If you are I'm not working with it!

I noted that you wrote, using a registry software to clear my registry too. But, which registry cleaner should I use? I have NO registry cleaner on my machine just now but I can always install one recommended. Again on vista I don't know for sure how mine would work. But here is an ad for it saying they give basic support for Vista. Use the trial version only to make sure your PC likes it before buying it:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Editor's Choice Registry Cleaner
Don't compromise your PC Registry with the second best!
World's most popular Registry Cleaner with 300,000 plus downloads per week.
Recommended by experts and editors around the world as the best Registry Cleaner.
FREE award-winning customer support for all users.
Cleans Registry, Fixes PC errors and optimizes PC for better performance.
Easy to use. Designed for both, expert and novice users.
100% Guaranteed.
With Registry Mechanic you can safely clean, repair and optimize the Windows registry with a few simple mouse clicks! Problems with the Windows registry are a common cause of Windows crashes, slow performance and error messages. By using a registry cleaner regularly and fixing registry errors your system should not only be more stable but it will also help improve your system performance without expensive hardware upgrades. Learn more about the importance of a clean registry with our registry insight.

[+] Click to EnlargeRegistry Mechanic uses a high-performance detection algorithm to quickly identify missing and invalid references in your Windows registry. These problems can occur for many reasons including being left-behind after the un-installation or incorrect removal of software, by missing or corrupt hardware drivers, or orphaned startup programs.

With a few easy steps Registry Mechanic will scan your entire registry for any invalid entries and provides a list of the registry errors found, you can then choose to selectively clean each item or automatically repair them all. For your convenience and protection Registry Mechanic can also make a backup of any repairs made so that you can easily recover any changes if required.

Registry Mechanic Information
Current Version: 6.0
File Size: 4,753 KB
Operating System: Designed for Windows 98, Me, 2000 and XP, with basic support for Windows Vista™
Release Date: November 8, 2006
Designed to: Clean and compact your registry to optimize your PC for better performance.
Trial Limitations: The trial is time unlimited and removes problems found in 6 sections of the registry only. A registered version is required to remove all detected problems.

One tool I do suggest for you is CCleaner which will clean a lot of junk off your PC that you likely don't need. It also has a registry cleaner but some guys say avoid it. I use it fine so opinions vary. Again I warn you I have 0 vista experience! CCleaner web site does say it works on vista.

http://www.ccleaner.com/

Even after you do these things you still won't have SM 7 installed! But if you haven't paid for it, I would forget the product. This whole thread was about poor support and lack of vista compatibility! So why push for trouble you may not need?

If you have vista, and want Sm7 put in a support request at iolo on this license issue, you failed to say if you actually have a licence code or an email saying how to install, but so be it!

If you think you need better performance from your PC there are other things you can do no doubt, but what is it you are trying to achieve here? Original poster hasn't succeeded yet, why not stop and wait for him to succeed or not and go from there?

If I were you unless you have some sort of non performance issue on your PC just forget the whole thing on SM 7 and enjoy your PC!

10-Jul-2007, 12:16 PM #74
Sysmech7pro
I do not have the internet at home however I wanted a program to help me keep my comp running well and clean of all the game, photo, video files I'm constantly going through. I purchased sysmech7pro for 69.99 at best buy and was informed it does not need an internet connection and the box does not say it requires an internet connection and furthermore that it's vista compatible. All the above was a lie, except for the 69.99 part. I've contacted iolo and twice they've responded with "sorry, you need an internet connection to install". That's all they will say. A rephrase of this is "Sorry, we lied". The min req's for this product on line have one additional bullet listed saying an internet connection is required. I simply would not have purchased the product if the box actually said this on it! The will do nothing other than say sorry. Gee Whiz beaver, that's mighty nice of you. Iolo is truely a 4 letter word as far as I'm concerned. I cannot stand being ripped off by faceless companies that Will get away with it. Anybody need a copy of sysmech7pro? I'll sell it to you for cheap, only 69.99 and it includes a dvd player and personal jet.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 135 posts.

Experience: Beginner
11-Jul-2007, 02:19 AM #75
Sorry this happened but it's no surprise
Hi -

As you can see from earlier posts, I was ripped off by IOLO also. Fortunately I used a credit card and filed a complaint with my credit card company for the disputed charge. Did you use a credit card? That's your best option. IOLO never answered my credit card's inquiry so that they could tell their side of the story, so I got full credit.

Please take a few minutes and file three complaints with the following agencies. I know that some people think it's a waste of time, but I think it can do some good and you may be helped directly or you may just be helping to pile up complaints that will shut IOLO down. First is the Better Business Bureau at www.betterbusinessbureau.com. They do investigate every claim and wil talk to IOLO. Take a look at IOLO's awful record on there. Also, write the state attorney general or what ever state body handles consumer complaints (it's the Illinois Attorney General in my state.) They will make IOLO respond to the complaint. Then the Federal Trade Commission takes complaint forms at www.ftc.gov/ftc/complanding.shtm. They won't deal directly with IOLO but they keep files on companies and when the files gather enough complaints they take the companies to court.

Alert the store manager that you bought this software and they should take it off their shelves or they could be charged with fraud and misrepresentation. I'm sure it will do no good but tell the manager to call IOLO too.

I wish you luck,
Dawn
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!