Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Tech Tips and Reviews Tech Tips and Reviews
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Question about recordable dvd discs?

(!)

Member with 54 posts.

Experience: Computer Illiterate
08-May-2007, 11:01 PM #1
Question about recordable dvd discs?
I was doing some reading about recordable dvd's and the differences between them and such, and really was just confused the whole time. From what I understand there is two types DVD-R and DVD+R and they have slight differences mainly formatting whatever that means, and just wanted to get opinions on what people felt was the better format. Also I was wondering about companies that produce them? Do you think there is a difference in the producer? Anyways I was just curious thanks in advance.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 145 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
08-May-2007, 11:39 PM #2
DVD+R vs DVD-R
Not much difference really, DVD+R is just the newer format,supposed to be better quality but you can't really tell,just like HD vs Blue Ray DVDs. The DVD+R has fewer writing errors,so they claim. I've used both and can't see a difference. Just stick with name brands like TDK,Verbatim,Memorex etc. Generic brands have a lot errors,failures and coasters. Just read the customer reviews on Circuit City,CompUSA and similar websites. Also some older computers and optical drives won't read the newer DVD+ disks. If this is the case,use DVD- disks.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,037 posts.

Experience: I get by
09-May-2007, 06:11 PM #3
yes there is much difference
DVD-R is the original DVD format and the older of the two (as well, it is the only format recognized by the DVD Forum)
DVD+R is a newer format used by DVDs

I've found that in general DVD-R has given me better results (less unreadable discs) when burning discs to be played in stand alone players, however if your burner supports it DVD+R can be bit set (tricks a stand alone player into thinking it is a DVD-ROM) which makes it very reliable when intended for use in stand alone players.

As for what brands to use remember this ... cheap is cheap, buy generic and you will be burning loads of coasters. But what brands to use is a tricky issue as the name you see on them is not who manufactured it. They are manufactured by only a handful of companies worldwide and branded according to who they are being made for. A good rule of thumb to get quality discs is to first buy a name brand, second check where it was made (Japan, Singapore = good, Taiwan or China or Hong Kong = Bad ..... Verbatim seems to be an exception to this rule however as they are good and made in Taiwan). I've had great luck with fuji DVDs made in Japan (they also sell ones made in Taiwan so you have to check carefully)

heres two links, pretty straight forward and easy to follow. You may be interested in.

digitalFAQ - DVD format FAQ

digitalFaq - blank media quality guide
Computer Specs
Member with 17,421 posts.

18-May-2007, 06:43 PM #4
just stick with DVD-R there cheaper anyway and all untils play them.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 145 posts.

19-May-2007, 06:00 PM #5
I've had good luck with TDK,Verbatim,Memorex,Phillips and HP DVD+ disks in my computer,DVD/VCR combo player(Polaroid) and DVD recorder/player(Lite-on All Write/Read format). And these disks are all made in Taiwan. Just stick with name brands.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,037 posts.

Experience: I get by
19-May-2007, 06:31 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterjim
..... And these disks are all made in Taiwan. Just stick with name brands.
It's well documented, do some googeling and you will find plenty of tests to back this up. Note the two links I posted earlier in the thread. DVDs made in Taiwan are of very inconsistent quality. They may be fine immediately after they are burnt but 3 months down the road ... you will find drop outs, 6 months even more. Over time the missing pieces will render them unviewable. This issue arises because of poor quality control in relation to the dyes being used, be it an inconsistent / uneven spreading of the dye or just an inferior quality dye
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!