Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Tech Tips and Reviews Tech Tips and Reviews
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Comcast 16 Mbps speeds and Faster at 70 Plus Mbps

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 4,469 posts.

Experience: Getting it
24-Jul-2009, 06:35 AM #31
And they blame p2p for using up all the broadband.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

24-Jul-2009, 10:45 AM #32
I guess not too many people have that 50mbit service I keep hearing about.
Computer Specs
Member with 55,872 posts.

24-Jul-2009, 11:45 PM #33
Quote:
Originally Posted by RootbeaR View Post
And they blame p2p for using up all the broadband.
Well they put a chock on the speeds at youtube and I bet other places.
Computer Specs

24-Jul-2009, 11:47 PM #34
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWill View Post
I guess not too many people have that 50mbit service I keep hearing about.
Sure West has the 50/50 Mb service in some places but that is not cheap.
Computer Specs

27-Jul-2009, 05:03 PM #35
I got out of the two year signed AGREEMENT for $119.99 per month but now it is $121.99 and only good for a year.

I hate the games they play.
Computer Specs

27-Jul-2009, 07:30 PM #36
I hope that's for more than Internet!
Computer Specs

28-Jul-2009, 01:16 AM #37
Internet, TV with added channels and phone.
Right there in the center. http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Lea...s/bundles.html
But I also got 7 other Encore channels still.
Computer Specs

28-Jul-2009, 02:54 PM #38
I pay more, but we get all the premium channels, HBO, Showtime, Starz, Cinemax, etc.

I just noticed that Verizon now offers free WiFi at 100,000 hotspots around the world for FiOS customers, I'll be signing up for that!
Computer Specs

29-Jul-2009, 01:13 AM #39
I can get more also but it just cost even more.

I seen that other thread on the free WiFi.

Got to call Comcast because it seems like I got only 6Mb again but have gotten a lots faster at times but over all it is slower. I download at some places where I don't see the power boost and the speed stays under 800KB.
Computer Specs

29-Jul-2009, 05:36 PM #40
Comcast simply has infrastructure issues with their network. Verizon FiOS has a real advantage in that they're building a fiber optic network from scratch, something that it is probably cost prohibitive for Comcast to match.
Computer Specs

30-Jul-2009, 01:06 AM #41
I know but you think if I have the same thing I should get the same thing. But they reset the modem. I get 6mb so places and 16mb other places but places I download each day from like backup of a forum are not 6mb and so are some other places.
Yes it would cost way to much to bring the fiber optic network to the house. I was told where I was living it is out on all the main routes and it ended about the one box thing up at the pole 1/2 block from the house and that it will soon have it coming into the house and that you will not have a modem but a network card to put in your PC.
But that was the only time I heard that. If true then that would be nice but it is still taking years longer to do all this then all have said because of cost and all new homes are getting it because it is just as cheap to put fiber optic in then cable.
But if what I was told is true I don't like unless you can still get a router to hook tru because I sure don't want it hooked right into the PC.
Computer Specs

30-Jul-2009, 04:27 PM #42
Verizon tunneled 400 feet to my house from the street for free to install FiOS, I was quite surprised. It's going to take them some time to recover the investment.
Computer Specs

30-Jul-2009, 09:09 PM #43
Wow and how deep did they go? I have seen how comcast has done some and it is like 4 or 6 inchs deep from the shove blade cut. That is ok but if you are not very deep then you can dig it up planting flowers.
Over at my dads all the power comes from the pole in there back yard.
The phone box tower thing is in the back corner for his house and others.
Later cable was put in but they cut strips into the street and then from there up into the yards. I think they have one small dome box ever other house but dad has it in his back side yard. Lives on the corner.
Buy they could of dug to the pole that was closer then to the house or almost and run a line. But they went from there and dug a blade line and I know it was not deep because there are way to many rocks once you get below the top so going more then 4 inchs would of been very very hard to do.
Computer Specs

31-Jul-2009, 09:18 AM #44
They didn't go more than about 6" deep, they buried it all by hand except under the driveway they used the horizontal boring machine. They bury a conduit, then pull the fiber through that after the conduit is in place.
Computer Specs

01-Aug-2009, 01:19 AM #45
They did a lot to get FiOS to you.

Got the comcast bill today that shows I paid $153.01 on 7-5-2009 when I was told it would be $128.00 but I did get that contract that was $149.99 plus tax etc that was wrong and even when I called they said it was wrong.
So now I got to call them again to find out how can this be. The next month it says it will be a total of $129.40.

But this statement is hard to know what all is what.
Preveious bal $168.01
payment rec. -$153.01
Unpaid $15.90
bundled service $105.05
TV -$6.15
internet -$4.17
phone $0.87
one time charge $10.00
taxes, surcharges and fees $7.60
To be deducted 08/05/09 $129.40 and that is about what it should of been so don't know how or why they took out $153.01 and I have not gotten my statement yet to see what was really taken out because it is auto pay.
When you look at any of the details of the bill it is super hard to know because they break it down into so many parts it took 2 pages on this bill and I never had two pages before. Well 3 pages because details are on the back or 2nd page but I got another whole paper and it has the top of it with more
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!