Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Tech Tips and Reviews Tech Tips and Reviews
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Seagate External Drive Click of Death

(!)

Account Disabled with 44,931 posts.

04-Jan-2011, 11:50 AM #1
Seagate External Drive Click of Death
I bought the 1T Seagate Expansion drive, powered it through a switch box so it didn't have to run all the time while the computer was on, and after an estimated use of less than 24 hours in a 3 month period, it started to throw IO errors and when touching it, felt it thumping inside.
Other users are hearing loud clicking coming from these units as they fail.
The failure rate of Seagate externals is so great, the moderators at the official Seagate customer site:

http://forums.seagate.com/t5/Other-E...ersonalStorage
are ignoring many if not most complaints.

Seagate claims the problem has been fixed .
But customers are reporting the replacement drives are often defective.

Last edited by Stoner; 04-Jan-2011 at 12:20 PM..
Moderator with 63,293 posts.

04-Jan-2011, 12:43 PM #2
hmmmm........read all the posts there, and quite frankly, I'm surprised. I've got a couple seagate drives, neither of the expansion variety, however, and have had zero issues with them. Both WD and Seagate have been very helpful to me in the past when having to deal with client-side rigs that had had HD's go south, but this seems to be a huge oversight (at first look; obviously there could be more under the surface that we are not aware of) on Seagate's part.

Due to their long-standing history of pretty solid manufacturing and customer support, I'm a bit surprised to say the least......hope you get it worked out, SJ........

"Ask Bill why the string in function 9 is terminated by a dollar sign. Ask him, because he can't answer. Only I know that". - Gary Kildall

04-Jan-2011, 12:46 PM #3
fwiw, this is the external Seagate I have, and again, nada issues with it......

04-Jan-2011, 12:58 PM #4
I've had excellent results in the past with Seagate/Maxtor internal drives.....WD and Hitachi also.
This was a problem out of the blue for me.
I'd been using an external enclosure with an even older 60gb Maxtor internal drive and wanted the security of backups in a new external drive.
The old drive still functions properly and is still quiet and in use for backups.
Pays to have multiple backups in place for important data......in this case family financial records.

Thanks for correcting the typo .....

04-Jan-2011, 01:14 PM #5
de nada.........

yup, I've got two externals and one internal, all mirrored to each other. I just use a simple folder structure away from the docs and settings (right of the root, so it read c:\valis\folder structure) and then just synch the root folder weekly with the two externals........as I do a lot of work mobile, I find it's easier (and more redundant) to have one external at work, one portable, and the internal obviously with the mothership.

I'll keep an eye out to see if I hear anything else on this; again, it's strikes me as odd that something like this would occur to Seagate, given their rather lengthy and strong rep in the data storage industry.......

11-Jan-2011, 10:16 AM #6
From reading that Seagate link I posted earlier, it looks like consumers are having issues with some models of Seagate external drives not being recognized in Windows.
Noyb   (Jay) Noyb is offline Noyb is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 19,332 posts.

11-Jan-2011, 10:40 AM #7
Doesn't look like Newegg's reviews are very good either.
Attached Thumbnails
Seagate External Drive Click of Death-clipboard.gif  
Noyb   (Jay) Noyb is offline Noyb is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs

11-Jan-2011, 10:53 AM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoner View Post
I bought the 1T Seagate Expansion drive, powered it through a switch box so it didn't have to run all the time while the computer was on ...
I've always wondered .. How do the externals without power Switches operate ???
Do they run all the time .. Or just when the computer is running ??

And why do they hide the power switch on the back panel of all the enclosures .. If they have one ??
Account Disabled with 1,098 posts.

Experience: Advanced
11-Jan-2011, 12:42 PM #9
I recently threw out a WD 250GB external-it kept disconnecting mid-way thru a backup. I couldn't tell if it was the drive or enclosure but either way it wasn't worth trying to figure out so I just tossed it. But it had 3 push buttons on the front of the case, one of which was the 'power button' except it only worked right when turning the drive on. (The other two were for 'one-touch backup' and they invoked different types of backups. I don't remember what they were because I never used them.)

Anyway, it was a good idea but they failed to make it a 'hard' switch. Probably for safety, i.e. when you turned the drive off it was probably supposed to wait until everything had been written to the disk but instead it waited until the computer was shut down-or until I pulled the plug. Good ideas poorly implemented are, IMO, worse than poor ideas implemented correctly.

11-Jan-2011, 01:22 PM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noyb View Post
I've always wondered .. How do the externals without power Switches operate ???
Do they run all the time .. Or just when the computer is running ??

And why do they hide the power switch on the back panel of all the enclosures .. If they have one ??
Apparently my Seagate had the ability to sense a powered USB port and would turn off if I used the Windows 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon....or the computer was turned off.......but I've heard complaints that this didn't work properly on various brand name drives and caused overheating in some cases.

I connected mine up to a switch box because it had no power switch of it's own.
Computer Specs
Member with 39 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
11-Jan-2011, 01:37 PM #11
Seems odd.. Seagate are normally good.. I've had my Verbatim for a year now and its choca-block of stuff (about 200GB!) and been dropped and the case fell of but no errors as of yet :P
Computer Specs

11-Jan-2011, 01:48 PM #12
I used to think Seagate's were the best .. But then Seagate bought out the worst manufacturer.
Then, I wasn't sure what I was getting .. So I moved to Western Digital HDDs.

Nowadays .. I build my own Externals by getting a good enclosure with a power switch and a large fan ..
And install the best WD Black series HDD with a 5 year warranty.

Any data you don't care about is data you only have one copy of .. So, I usually get two of each.
This also gives me a backup Enclosure .. (Since I can Swap the HDDs in the enclosures) ...
Which I've found to be less reliable than the HDDs I put in them.

Last edited by Noyb; 11-Jan-2011 at 01:55 PM..
bp936   (Judy) bp936 is offline bp936 has a Profile Picture
bp936 has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 2,976 posts.

12-Jan-2011, 03:11 PM #13
after reading a ton of info regarding external drives, and my own post, if to keep Iomega 1TB with no on-off switch or not,
I have decided to keep it, since many new extUsb drives have no on off switch. Price is another point, 50 bucks won't kill me, while if I buy another brand, it would cost me a lot more. Since nearly every brand seems to be a hit and miss decision, let's see how long this Iomega will last, and I will report back here. I just hope it won't be too soon.
Regarding power, I will just pull the power-wire out when not in use.

13-Jan-2011, 01:49 PM #14
Just some oddities of my particular drive that seem irregular to the point of there being a possible fault in more than the physical drive.

I decided to experiment with my external drive by splitting the drive into two partitions....a small one at the beginning of the drive, about 100 MB, and the remainder in the existing space.
I did this using Disk Management in a win7 64 bit version of Home premium.
I accomplished the repartition, but Windows now saw 2 small partitions on the drive.....plus the big one.
What I pasted into one of the small partitions could be read in the other and vice versa.
But only one small partition could be seen in Disk Management.

Then I deleted the small partition I could see in Disk Management, but only one of the partitions disappeared in Windows.
However, nothing could be saved to the observed 'phantom' small partition.
Upon a reboot, this 'phantom' partition disappeared.

But now the comprehensive check disk won't function on the remaining large partition of this Seagate drive.

Oddly, it doesn't seem to be thumping quite as hard as before, but the thump is still there and occurs randomly whether the drive is idle or being written to/read from.

BTW....I quit using it as a backup.
bp936   (Judy) bp936 is offline bp936 has a Profile Picture
bp936 has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 2,976 posts.

13-Jan-2011, 07:31 PM #15
Since we are here under "REVIEWS" we might as report anything strange to those external drives.

Does your Seagate have a hidden partition or section like the IOMEGA? What does your Properties say? I have 93 MB taken and the rest is free (right-clicked on the drive and the pie showed the numbers) but nothing is shown inside Explorer.
What is a comprehensive check disk, do you mean chkdsk? I don't have Windows 7 yet.

I wonder if anyone tried to partition with Acronis? I told Acronis to manage my laptop and then found out, it made a small partition on drive C and now I can't delete it or do anything with it, cannot be re-sized, repartitioned or written to it. Maybe this is how Windows 7 handles partitioning?

I think phantom is still on your phantom drive and is upset about being partitioned.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!