Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

How to remove sophos_detoured.dll from computer?

(New)
(!)

Member with 2 posts.

04-Aug-2012, 08:00 PM #1
Unhappy How to remove sophos_detoured.dll from computer?
Hi,

I bought a Dell Inspiron 1520 and I'm running Windows XP on it. It came loaded with a security system on it
and half of Sophos loaded. Got the first security system off just fine.

However, I couldn't get Sophos fully uninstalled by Add/Remove programs so I used
a cnet recommended program to uninstall the pieces left. Everything was
gone except sophos_detoured.dll when I rebooted the computer and now
that computer not only still has that file which I cannot get rid of,
but also will not allow me to connect to the internet.

I suspect it is the Sophos file which is in the way of my internet
programs now. I'll also expect that it won't let me load Norton's in until it is gone.

So, basically, how can I delete that one file. I've searched the sophos website and the internet for almost
two hours and tried virtually everything without success.

Contacted Sophos support and was told: Please note that email and phone support are for paid licenses. As such, we are unable to assist you with your query.

They went further to say I could try their forums which I have also posted on - no reply there yet.

Any help would be really appreciated. I cringe at the thought that I've spent 12 hours loading programs onto this new computer and may have to reformat it and start over.
Member with 2 posts.

04-Aug-2012, 11:27 PM #2
Some Progress
I used AppRemover which was off the cnet site and that got rid of Sophos. Now, I have no internet on that computer...it seems that it won't recognize my router. Not sure if the wireless card has somehow been disabled or where to go from here so a point in the right direction would be helpful and in the meantime, I'll continue to internet surf.
Email This Email  Print This Print  Add to Favorites Favorites  Tweet This Send to Facebook Send to MySpace Send to StumbleUpon Digg This | More Services More
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!