Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Virus & Other Malware Removal Virus & Other Malware Removal
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Symantec i32 Intelligent Updater

(New)
(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 42,000 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
27-Feb-2003, 08:17 PM #1
Post Symantec i32 Intelligent Updater
Whenever I download a Symantec update from i32 Intelligent Updater and choose run this program from current location I get a Security Warning that says: The publisher cannot be determined due to the problem below: Authenticode signiture not found. If I download this same update and choose save this program to disk, I can scan it with NAV and then install and I never receive the Security warning that I got by choosing run this program from current location. I know that to save any download to disk is the safest way to install. My question is how can a Security Warning be given from running a program from current location and no Security Warning be given if you choose to save the program to disk? To me it seems the Security Warning should be given no matter which way you choose to download and install.
Member with 5,652 posts.

28-Feb-2003, 04:51 PM #2
GoJo,

Just tried to d/l using the current location option and did not receive any sort of warning.

Do you get anything similar with other downloads, which might suggest that your browser Security settings are involved?. If not, have you tried a different Symantec site from the global sites list;
http://www.symantec.com/globalsites.html

Symantec Support is not very user friendly but you might try e-mailing them with the exact wording of the message and see what response you get.

I know that their intelligent updater is not foolproof because it corrupted my definitions earlier this month.
Computer Specs

28-Feb-2003, 06:27 PM #3
TOGG:

Thanks for you suggestions. I went to the Global Sites and tried Canada, United Kingdom and Italy and clicked the Download Virus Definitions and I would be linked back to the United States Site. I then tried downloading some other programs and running the program from its current location. Some would give me the exact same Security Warning and some would not. I checked my browser Security settings and they were set at the default level of Medium. I changed the setting to High and wasn't able to even download a file. I then tried Medium-low and Low and I got the same Security Warning as I get in the Medium level.
Member with 5,652 posts.

28-Feb-2003, 08:29 PM #4
Unhappy Oh well!
Well, that's the limit of my expertise I'm afraid.

It's interesting that this is not limited to Symantec but if it's not caused by your browser could it be some other program between you and the web, such as your antivirus or a download manager of some sort?.

Looks as though we will have to wait for one of the experts to come along!

By the way, I agree 100% with your sign off comments. This is definitely the best for information and assistance.
Computer Specs

01-Mar-2003, 12:11 AM #5
Hi TOGG:

The Security Warning I was getting turned out to be a IE5.5 glitch. Another curveball thrown at us by Bill Gates. I installed IE6 and now get the more framiliar window that says: Some files can harm your computer. If the file information below looks suspicious, or you do not fully trust the source, do not open or save this file. This type of file could could harm your computer if it contains a malicious code. Is this what you get when you try to download a file from Intelligent Updater? This is what I always got while downloading programs previously when I when using IE6.

Glad you liked and agree with my sign off comments.

Take care,
Joe
jm100dm jm100dm is offline jm100dm has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 994 posts.

Experience: Advanced
01-Mar-2003, 05:44 AM #6
I too like your signiture.

As for the message I think that I used to get it but there was a box to check if you didn't want to be warned again and I checked it. Just my 2-cents.
Member with 5,652 posts.

01-Mar-2003, 06:47 AM #7
Joe,

I'm using IE 5.5 SP2 patched up to date (I think) and I don't recall ever seeing a warning like the one you got in your first post. Either I have my security settings too low (or one of Bill's Updates has 'adjusted' them that way) or I've forgotten and/or turned them off like jm100dm.

Whatever, it's good that you no longer have a problem.

John
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!