Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Virus & Other Malware Removal Virus & Other Malware Removal
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Constantly Sending and Receiving Packets over the Internet

(New)
(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
29-Apr-2006, 08:25 PM #1
Constantly Sending and Receiving Packets over the Internet
I have noticed over the last few days that my LAN indicator (two little blue rectangles) are constantly lighted in my system tray, even though I am NOT actively using the internet or networking with the other computer on my home wireless LAN. I double click on the little lights and activate the "Local Area Connection Status" window. This indicates in the "Activinty" area of the window, that I am constantly and rapidly sending and receiving packets.

This worries me greatly. It did not used to be this way. I have Norton AV 2005 fully installed, and updated and running. I use the Windows firewall, fully activated. (I have problems being able to wirelessly network with my other computer if I use Zone Alarm firewall.) I use a Lynksys WRT54G wireless router. It is fully encrypted. The "Internet activity" light on the router blinks contstantly, as does the "WLAN" light and the light for the port to which this computer is connected via ethernet cable. All of this indicates that I am constantly sending and receiving packets via the internet.

I have fully scanned using NAV, Microsoft anti-spyware, Spybot v1.4 and Ad-Aware SE and I find no problems.

PLEASE help me fix this problem!! Thanks
Member with 12,290 posts.

29-Apr-2006, 08:35 PM #2
This is just normal trafic. Even when you are not doing anything your computer is carrying out tasks and windows is still sending out and receiving datagrams and checking or connecting to DHCP servers!

nothing to worry about!
Moderator with 63,690 posts.

29-Apr-2006, 08:43 PM #3
unless, of course, it's the Man putting stuff on there for the 3 a.m. kick in the doors, seize teh pc as evidence, and lock you down the deepest, darkest, dungeon on the planet, forcing you to subsist solely on fishheads that mave matriculated through the centuries to your substrata level, and getting your liquidic refreshment from the slime mold that exudes that wonderfully psychedelic brew, enabling you to spend the remainder of your days, however brief they may be, screaming at your internal demons as they appear on the ink blank wall asking for retribution.

Of course, you could always buy Khazars response, but we have reason to believe he is one of them.

and welcome to tsg.

"Ask Bill why the string in function 9 is terminated by a dollar sign. Ask him, because he can't answer. Only I know that". - Gary Kildall
Member with 12,290 posts.

29-Apr-2006, 08:46 PM #4
you reading Philip K Dick, Burroughs And Kafka!? lol
Moderator with 63,690 posts.

29-Apr-2006, 08:56 PM #5
heh.....sorry for that, dunno where that came from. Had a way high fever this week, still feeling the results.

My humble apologies to all involved. See, mikeh3600, this is what lurking will get you.

v

*edit* currently reading Vulcans' Hammer, Philip Dick, Cities of the Red Night, Burroughs, Hollywood, Bukowski, and Tishomingo Blues, Elmore Leonard. That may explain a bit.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!