Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Virus & Other Malware Removal Virus & Other Malware Removal
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

AdAware update

(New)
(!)

Member with 953 posts.

Experience: Advanced
15-Jan-2007, 05:57 PM #1
AdAware update
Anyone else having problems updating AdAware?

I have not been able to update for 2 weeks. I have had this problem in the past but it usually cleared within a day or two, so I had always assumed that it was a problem with Lavasoft servers.

But 2 weeks...???

Account Disabled with 414 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
16-Jan-2007, 02:25 AM #2
i'm downloading one as i type so no problems here
Computer Specs
Member with 55,792 posts.

16-Jan-2007, 02:44 AM #3
I have seen troubles too. I think there servers are over loaded.
Member with 953 posts.

16-Jan-2007, 05:51 AM #4
If I monitor AdAware through Task Manager > Applications then a few seconds after I try to connect to the Lavasoft servers then the "Running" message changes to a "Not Responding" message next to AdAware.

So it seems that trying to connect to Lavasoft for an update freezes AdAware. In fact I then have to force an end to the application via Task Manager because the AdAware UI has frozen.

Does this indicate that some malware is freezing AdAware when I try to update?

AdAware will scan normally. It is just the update that creates the problem.

Computer Specs
Member with 6,964 posts.

16-Jan-2007, 06:42 AM #5
As a work around, you can download the latest definitions file from here: http://www.lavasoftusa.com/download_...tion_database/

Unzip the file and replace the existing defs.ref file with the new one. It goes in Program Files.
Member with 953 posts.

16-Jan-2007, 07:36 AM #6
Hi Stantley,

Tks for the link.

Updated. Scan runs normally. Nothing abnormal found, just one tracking cookie. AdAware still freezes if I try to connect to the update server. If it does not clear within the next few days I will reinstall and see if that clears it.

Tks again

Computer Specs
Member with 55,792 posts.

17-Jan-2007, 02:38 AM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabvla
If I monitor AdAware through Task Manager > Applications then a few seconds after I try to connect to the Lavasoft servers then the "Running" message changes to a "Not Responding" message next to AdAware.

So it seems that trying to connect to Lavasoft for an update freezes AdAware. In fact I then have to force an end to the application via Task Manager because the AdAware UI has frozen.

Does this indicate that some malware is freezing AdAware when I try to update?

AdAware will scan normally. It is just the update that creates the problem.

Yep same thing I get a lot of anymore from there site. But if you wait it will respond again and update or tell you there is no update. When it does that to me I go outside and have a smoke and then when I get back I click update or ok if no update.
Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Beginner
19-Jan-2007, 01:23 PM #8
Hi. I have just joined this forum to ask someone the exact same question. I have exactly the same problem. If you have got an answer now coul you please let me know aswell. I cant log on to any lavasoft web page aswell as not being able to update, I wonder if someone has control of my computer?
hope you can help.
Please send private message as I dont know how to navigate this site yet
Thanks
Noyb   (Jay) Noyb is offline Noyb is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 19,324 posts.

19-Jan-2007, 02:12 PM #9
I quit using Adaware a long time ago .. but since Ya'll had me curious, I just re-installed it.
No problem getting the updates here .. but it did seem to take a little longer to connect.

Could this be an IE7 problem ??? ...
I'm still on IE6 because of all the IE7 problems ... but FireFox is my default browser.
Old Rich has a Photo Album
Member with 10,249 posts.

Experience: Learning
19-Jan-2007, 04:35 PM #10
I'm using IE7 and just updated AdAware with no problems

20-Jan-2007, 03:13 AM #11
Hi. I have same problem but I cant log on to any page containing lavasoft either. How are you getting on?

20-Jan-2007, 03:17 AM #12
Can anyone give me the address and port numbers for Ad Aware Plus, maybe these are in some way in correct. It is Very strange how I cant connect to any lavasoft web page.
Any ideas.
Member with 953 posts.

01-Feb-2007, 05:30 AM #13
I have used the manual method of updating for the past 2 weeks as suggested by stantley in this post....

Quote:
As a work around, you can download the latest definitions file from here: http://www.lavasoftusa.com/download_...tion_database/
Today all things are back to normal... .... and that is after being unable to connect to the Lavasoft update site for the entire month of January.

If the problem is caused by overloaded servers that is OK. However, if the problem is caused by some malware that is preventing connection to the Lavasoft servers then that is not OK.

There is something strange going on here...
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!