Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

possible registry problems, loss of task manager

(New)
(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Beginner
04-May-2007, 05:38 AM #1
possible registry problems, loss of task manager
Hello,
I am using Windows XP home. About two weeks ago, I downloaded a zip file in a file sharing program. When first opened, the message that the files were corrupt appeared, asked if I wanted to proceed, to which I answered no and deleted it. However, this was enough for a virus I think because all saved files in the folder that houses my .avi's, everything became zip files. When I attempted to open them, first a 'setup.exe' icon appeared, and when clicked, said 'file is corrupt from transfer'. I erased the entire contents of that folder, and ran my Norton virus scan. It reported one threat and deleted it, a Trojan. Yet even now, any downloaded .avi file that remains in the folder for longer than 24 hours becomes a zip file, and if I move the file to another folder, it remains an .avi. Any subsequent virus scans report nothing.
Additionally, my task manager is not accessible, either through ctrl+alt+del or by clicking on the task bar. Trying to follow similar problems elsewhere, going through C:Windows\System32\ and directly to taskmgr.exe., if I try to open it, it says 'another program is currently using this file'. Also, when I went to the run command from the start menu and tried to type REGEDIT (seen as a possible solution on another website) it repeated the message of another user. I've seen remarks about registry errors, but do not understand the bulk of the problem. I'm guessing I still have a virus, but my security scan does not find it.
Any help would be much appreciated, sorry for longwindedness, but to give details...
Thanks in advance,
K-Anth
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Beginner
05-May-2007, 06:05 AM #2
bump
bump
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!