Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Virus & Other Malware Removal Virus & Other Malware Removal
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

startdrv.exe problems - near impossible to remove

(New)
(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Advanced
09-Nov-2007, 11:08 AM #1
Angry startdrv.exe problems - near impossible to remove

Ok, I seem to have some trojan malware I can't remove. I have been building, fixing, and repairing pc's for about 10 years. I've used cases in these forums many times to help me remove something, and this is the first time I'm come across something I couldn't remove myself and had to ask for assistance dealing with.

A friend dropped off an infected PC, a Dell Dimension 3000, 2.8Ghz, 200GB hard drive, 1GB Ram, Windows XP SP2, and IE6. Windows Update patches seem to be up do date and McAfee Pro Firewall and Security + AntiVirus intalled. I was told when I got the pc that it was slow and unusable, and riddled with popup, adverts - mostly pr0n.

So - I get the PC and boot up normally, log into the desktop, and that's where things got REALLY slow. McAfee and Firewall came up disabled. Here's what I did:

1. deleted IE cache and cookes
2. deleted all temp files I could in temp, windows/temp, and local settings/temp
3. installed spyware search and destroy, scanned, and removed 31 known problems
4. made sure that 'system restore' was turned off (which it was)
5. opened IE to do housecall.trendmicro.com scan (failed to completely load, took too long)
6. rebooted in safe mode with networking, ran IE housecall.trendmicro again, seemed to scan, but never got to results screen
7. reboot to normal windows, McAfee now enabled shows trojan virus it can't clean in "c:\windows\temp\startdrv.exe"
8. I can't change it's properties, it's not listed in system processes - I can't delete it
9. Reboot in safe mode

I found this thread that was very similar to my problem.

10. I downloaded HiJack this, and remove and fixed items I knew were bad (same as in that post or ones I'd encountered before). However, HiJack this would not remove c:\windows\temp\startdrv.exe at all, I tried over and over again.
11. Quick scan of the web showed that CounterStrike2 listed the threat, said it could remove it, and the software had 5 stars from ZDNet, c|net, tucows, etc. So I installed it and did yet another scan. It found 118 infections and threats, and I told it to clean them all.
12. Reboot to normal windows, and CounterStrike appears to be working and removing all kinds of infections and what- not, then I login, startdrv.exe still exists (McAffee finds it right off), and it's still hogging 99% CPU
13. Reboot to safe mode, downlod VUndoFix.exe and scan - it finds 2 files, and I click to remove them
14. Download SuperAntiSpyware, it won't install in safe mode
15. Download Killbox.exe, mark startdrv.exe for single file removal (it can't do it), mark startdrv.exe for delete on reboot, countdown begins back from 9, when it gets down to 2 it says "deletion changed by external process" and it stops. When I tell it to "rename on reboot with dummy file" it exists, reboots, and back in normal windows startdrv.exe still exists.
16. Reboot in DOS attempt to delete c:\windows\temp manually - does not work. Strip file of any attrib's, still won't delete
17. Reboot in safe mode again, run CounterStrike scan again, and is still finds 2 files and 17 registry entries, problems with Backdoor.Win32.Agent.aju Backdoor, MyWay Speedbar, Trojan-dropper.Win32.Small.avu Trojan downloader, and KCom Downloader Trojan. I've attached that screenshot. After I took the screenshot, I told it to fix those problems it found
18. Download and run Symantec Win32.Agent trojan remover (when counterstrike was running), it fully scanned the drive and said that the Agent trojan was not found (must be a different version)
19. Run HiJack this with log - and that is also attached - THIS time the log doesn't show startdrv.exe, BUT I'm afraid to reboot to normal windows at this point for fear it will show up again

Please look at the attached HiJackThis log and tell me if you see anything else and any other steps I should take before rebooting from safe mode back into windows. Thanks in advance for ANY help you can lend!

Oh, in addition to the attachment - I'll paste the HJT log right here as well:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 7:26:49 AM, on 11/9/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Boot mode: Safe mode with network support

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Sunbelt Software\CounterSpy\SBCSSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Sunbelt Software\CounterSpy\SBCSTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dell4me.com/myway
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.dell4me.com/myway
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dell4me.com/myway
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.dell4me.com/myway
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://www.dell.com/
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: McAfee VirusScan - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshl.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DLCCCATS] rundll32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\DLCCtime.dll,_RunDLLEntry@16
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\McUpdate.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VSOCheckTask] "C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\VSO\mcmnhdlr.exe" /checktask
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VirusScan Online] C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\VSO\mcvsshld.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OASClnt] C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\VSO\oasclnt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxtray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxhkcmd] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxpers] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_03\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MPFEXE] "C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\Personal Firewall\MPFTray.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [winshow] "C:\WINDOWS\winshow.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [{BD-DD-D6-61-ZN}] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dwdsrngt.exe CHD001
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SBCSTray] C:\Program Files\Sunbelt Software\CounterSpy\SBCSTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SBRegRebootCleaner] C:\Program Files\Sunbelt Software\CounterSpy\SBRC.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\msjava.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\msjava.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {B205A35E-1FC4-4CE3-818B-899DBBB3388C} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Encarta Search Bar\ENCSBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search & Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {215B8138-A3CF-44C5-803F-8226143CFC0A} (Trend Micro ActiveX Scan Agent 6.6) - http://housecall65.trendmicro.com/ho...vex/hcImpl.cab
O16 - DPF: {95D88B35-A521-472B-A182-BB1A98356421} (Pearson Installation Assistant 2) - http://asp.mathxl.com/books/_Players...stallAsst2.cab
O16 - DPF: {E6D23284-0E9B-417D-A782-03E4487FC947} (Pearson MathXL Player) - http://asp.mathxl.com/books/_Players/MathPlayer.cab
O23 - Service: dlcc_device - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dlcccoms.exe
O23 - Service: DSBrokerService - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\DellSupport\brkrsvc.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee WSC Integration (McDetect.exe) - McAfee, Inc - c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcdetect.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee.com McShield (McShield) - McAfee Inc. - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Task Scheduler (McTskshd.exe) - McAfee, Inc - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mctskshd.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SecurityCenter Update Manager (mcupdmgr.exe) - McAfee, Inc - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\mcupdmgr.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Personal Firewall Service (MpfService) - McAfee Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfService.exe
O23 - Service: Intel NCS NetService (NetSvc) - Intel(R) Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\PROSetWired\NCS\Sync\NetSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Sunbelt CounterSpy Antispyware (SBCSSvc) - Sunbelt Software - C:\Program Files\Sunbelt Software\CounterSpy\SBCSSvc.exe

--
End of file - 5291 bytes
Attachment Blocked
Attachments in the HJT forum are often designed to solve a specific issue and not meant to be used without instructions specific to your computer. If you want help specific to your computer, please post a HiJackThis Log. If you started this thread, please make sure you are logged in to be able to view attachments.
Computer Specs

09-Nov-2007, 02:12 PM #2
if anyone has any ideas on this, that would be great! I have to try and finish it in a few hours and they guy wants to pick it up tonight, and this is the last thing I have to fix and remove before I give it to him. thanks in advance!
Computer Specs

09-Nov-2007, 06:23 PM #3
I don't know why there aren't any responses to this yet, maybe this is just a really bad trojan. I've run superantispyware over and over, and it got like 20 more things, and it says it 'quarantined' startdrv.exe and it's reg entry, but everytime I boot now the reg entry is back (even though I don't see the file in windows/temp). It just will NOT remove the reg entry, and I can't do as admin in safe mode in regedit either - it won't let me.

here's the latest HijackThis log, can someone please help me remove this trojan for good? any ideas?

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 6:16:49 PM, on 11/9/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Boot mode: Safe mode with network support

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\Program Files\Sunbelt Software\CounterSpy\SBCSSvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dell4me.com/myway
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.dell4me.com/myway
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dell4me.com/myway
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.dell4me.com/myway
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://www.dell.com/
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: McAfee VirusScan - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshl.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DLCCCATS] rundll32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\DLCCtime.dll,_RunDLLEntry@16
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\McUpdate.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VSOCheckTask] "C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\VSO\mcmnhdlr.exe" /checktask
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VirusScan Online] C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\VSO\mcvsshld.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OASClnt] C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\VSO\oasclnt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxtray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxhkcmd] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxpers] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_03\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MPFEXE] "C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\Personal Firewall\MPFTray.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SBCSTray] C:\Program Files\Sunbelt Software\CounterSpy\SBCSTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [startdrv] C:\WINDOWS\Temp\startdrv.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SUPERAntiSpyware] C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\msjava.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\msjava.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {B205A35E-1FC4-4CE3-818B-899DBBB3388C} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Encarta Search Bar\ENCSBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {215B8138-A3CF-44C5-803F-8226143CFC0A} (Trend Micro ActiveX Scan Agent 6.6) - http://housecall65.trendmicro.com/ho...vex/hcImpl.cab
O16 - DPF: {95D88B35-A521-472B-A182-BB1A98356421} (Pearson Installation Assistant 2) - http://asp.mathxl.com/books/_Players...stallAsst2.cab
O16 - DPF: {E6D23284-0E9B-417D-A782-03E4487FC947} (Pearson MathXL Player) - http://asp.mathxl.com/books/_Players/MathPlayer.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.dll
O23 - Service: DSBrokerService - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\DellSupport\brkrsvc.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee WSC Integration (McDetect.exe) - McAfee, Inc - c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcdetect.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee.com McShield (McShield) - McAfee Inc. - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Task Scheduler (McTskshd.exe) - McAfee, Inc - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mctskshd.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SecurityCenter Update Manager (mcupdmgr.exe) - McAfee, Inc - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\mcupdmgr.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Personal Firewall Service (MpfService) - McAfee Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfService.exe
O23 - Service: Intel NCS NetService (NetSvc) - Intel(R) Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\PROSetWired\NCS\Sync\NetSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Sunbelt CounterSpy Antispyware (SBCSSvc) - Sunbelt Software - C:\Program Files\Sunbelt Software\CounterSpy\SBCSSvc.exe

--
End of file - 4749 bytes
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!