Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Multiple Virus and IE & AVG Installer Problem

(New)
(!)

Member with 120 posts.

Experience: Beginner
07-Oct-2008, 07:37 PM #1
Multiple Virus and IE & AVG Installer Problem
My father’s computer is having some issues. He only started to complain that his Internet Explorer kept shutting down illegally. So I went over and re-installed Mozilla Firefox. I tried to reinstall IE 7, but the computer wouldn’t let me something about the Windows Installer.

I found the Microsoft support article for “The Windows Installer service could not be accessed” (KB315346) and followed the resolution instructions. They did not resolve the problem. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315346

So I downloaded the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility 4.71.1015. (Didn’t use it. Don’t think that was really what I wanted. I wanted something to fix the installer, not delete partially installed programs.)

My father mentioned that he downloaded AntiVirus 2009. I was a little suspicious. So I decided to update his scanning software on his computer. His AVG version was 7 not 8. I found out that the program to install AVG 8 needs the Windows Installer and will not install. When I click on AVG 8 this is the error message: “c:\ProgramFiles\AVG\AVG8\avgui.exe This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.” So he does not have an antivirus program on his computer right now.

I did an online scan with Kaspersky. It did not find anything bad. Next I did get Ad-Aware to update to 2008 version and ran it. It reported 2 virus’: win32.trojan.Agent and win32.backdoor.sinowal and removed them. I also installed and ran Malwarebytes and it found some virus’ and removed them. (I have the scan for this.) I am currently running an online Panda Security virus scan. Hopefully, sometime today we will have the results. He will call me back when it’s complete. Okay, Panda completed three hours later and for some reason we were not able to clean the virus’ off the machine. I have screen shots of the virus’ though.

I also installed Spybot and it found several cookie type things and two other problems – one was with the firewall and the other was an antivirus problem: Microsoft.Windows.AppFirewallBypass and Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter.Antivirus override

I then tried to open the control panel and it would not open. I could not check the security settings … Now, even the folders on the desktop won’t open. I wanted to run a HJT log but I put the program in a folder and I cannot access it. I did not want to reboot when I was running the Panda Security Scan and now it is too late. I’ll go over there again tomorrow morning and run a HJT.

I had also tried to do a system restore yesterday when he first told me about the IE, but it did not help so I restored it back to the original date. Oh, I also went into safe mode and tried to open IE and AVG 8 and neither one would work there either.

Please help me. What can I do next?

Thanks.
Roseann
Member with 120 posts.

Experience: Beginner
08-Oct-2008, 08:00 PM #2
Okay, here is the update for today:

I installed and ran CCleaner. It cleaned up a lot of problems.

I emptied the Internet Explorer Cache. IE still wouldn't run though.

I ran Disk CleanUp. I also ran Error Checking.

I uninstalled AVG8 and reinstalled AVG8 and it worked! I ran a scan. AVG randomly keeps finding malicious files. I keep quarantining/removing them.

So I rebooted the computer numerous times today and all seems to be better.

I ran a panda scan again today and was able to fix the c:\I386\GTDownDE_87.ocx and the c:\windows\system32\GTDownDE_87.ocx.

There are some low and medium threats that involve registry keys. Don't know how to correct them.

I was unable to fix the vulnerabilities. The vulnerabilities are:
MS07-045
MS07-033
MS07-069
MS07-057
MS07-027
MS07-016 I think these are all related to Microsoft Internet Explorer Security

I uninstalled IE7 and reinstalled IE7. Still no luck. I can't get it to run. How can I fix the vulnerabilities and get it to run? Is there some way to do this with Mozilla? I can't get IE to load, it stops responding and I have to ctl, alt, delete and kill it in the processes. Not sure if all of the virus is gone yet either.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Roseann
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!