Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Help! PC is Hijacked/counterfeit vers. of Windows

(New)
(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
15-Dec-2008, 03:35 AM #1
Help! PC is Hijacked/counterfeit vers. of Windows
Hello. I have a pretty old PC that I custom built back in 2002. It's basic guts are an AMD athlon processor, 1.15Ghz, 512 MB RAM running Windows XP 2002 home edition with Service Pack 2.

I encountered a severe problem today after downloading a program called Blender and a program called Python (programs recommended to me for allowing to import one type of 3D programming model into another 3d modeling program.

My computer had suddenly shut down for no reason at all and began to restart. At the onset of the restart, once the desktop had loaded on my screen I got a Windows message saying that (paraphrased)

"Windows has encountered a problem and will shut down within (a small timer counting down from 60 seconds). If you are in the middle of something please save all programs.

By the time the counter reached about 25 seconds my computer automatically shut down and restarted. I allowed this to go on for about 5 cycles before I opened Windows in safe mode and tried to remove the programs that I had downloaded.

I went into Add/Remove programs and removed Blender but I could not remove Python. I would get an error message saying (paraphrase)

"Windows is unable to remove program because Windows installer is not active"

I removed what I could and then went into the disk cleanup and deleted all of my temporary files as well as compressed unused files.I then tried to defrag my computer but it would not let me saying that

"disk defragmenter has detected that chkdsk is scheduled to run on the volume (C. Please run chkdsk /f".

I accidentally ran a plain chkdsk. It ran through its 3 sweeps and then closed. I then tried to run the chkdsk /f and I get a message saying

"The type of the file system is NTFS. Cannot lock current drive. Ckdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked upon next restart? Yes or no?

I clicked Yes and then restarted.

Upon restart I received an error message from my ATI graphics card saying

"Could not load file or assembly 'mom.Implementation,Version=2.0.2789.37294, Culture=Neutral, PublicKeyToken=90ba9c70F846762e' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified."

I then began getting a flurry of error messags stating:

"Windows has encountered at "C;documents and set~1\cookies a file that is corrupt or unreadable"

Then after a minute or two my computer would self restart again. I went back into Windows safe mode and tried to find the file it was talking about but did not. I deleted almost all of my temp files manually except for a few which i was not able to delete because they were corrupt or unreadable.

I restarted my computer again and ran it in normal mode. This time I get a pop up bubble down by my taskbar saying that

"You may be a victim of software counterfeiting. Please click in the balloon to resolve this issue"

At this point my computer froze up and I had to force restart.

Now, right prior to loading up my desktop, in the "welcome" background, I get a window that states

"You may be a victim of software counterfeiting. This copy of Windows is not genuine and is not elligible to receive the full range of upgrades and product support from Microsoft. Click get genuine now to get more information and resolve this issue"

It gives me an option to either click on "get genuine" or "resolve later". I have clicked on either and they both simply take me to my desktop page. Also on that page in the lower right hand side there is a small logo type banner that says Ask for Genuine Microsoft software and to the right of that it says " this copy of Microsoft Windows is not genuine. You may be a victim of software counterfeiting"

After clicking on either option my desktop loads up but now I continuously get windows that say

"the system has recovered from a serious error. A log of this file has been created. If you want to send this report to Microsoft etc.etc."

This message continues to repeat until the computer ends up locking up. After my final restart before I end up committing myself to an insane asylum, everything loads up as before with the counterfeiting warning etc. The desktop loads up and I get the ATI warning, along with several windows "the system has recovered from a serious error". I get those off of my screen and the system seems to be stable. However, now anytime I try to open up a program...Internet explorer, AOL, Microsoft word, Sketchup, Photoshop etc...I get a personal window message saying,

"Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. Sorry for the inconveinece etc."

When i try to open Sketchup it immediately opens up to the "bug Splat error message"

When i try to open Photoshop i get an error message stating the link of the file along with

"the handle is invalid"

I really dont know what to do at this point...other than throw my PC through the window. Can anyone help?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!