Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Cannot open drives in My Computer, persistent virus problem

(New)
(!)

Member with 257 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
15-Mar-2009, 07:47 PM #1
Question Cannot open drives in My Computer, persistent virus problem
Hello Everyone,

My computer has become infected with a very persistent virus.

On my computer I have 2 partitions, 1 for Windows XP and one for the storage of data.

After reinstalling Windows XP on the OS partition the virus remains!

This is the error I am seeing whenever I double click an icon, e.g.: Local Drive (C, whilst in My Computer:

Windows cannot find 'RECYCLER\S-7-1-78-100006322-100024014-100006274-7080.com'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search.

The dialog which contains the afore mentioned warning message, also presents an OK button. After pressing OK the dialog box disappears but C: drive does not open!

As well as stopping access to drives this virus appears to be blocking all attempts by AVG 8 (anti - virus) and Ad Aware Anniversary Edition (anti spyware) to update their respective definition files.

If anybody has any suggestions regarding how to remove this virus they will be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

David
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!