Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Virus & Other Malware Removal Virus & Other Malware Removal
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

downloads won't run

(New)
(!)

Junior Member with 14 posts.

Experience: Beginner
28-Apr-2009, 11:23 PM #1
Question downloads won't run
Anytime I download an .exe file from Firefox the program will not run. Sometimes the file will not even allow installation. If I am able to install the file, it won't run after the process is complete. I don't receive any kind of error message when this happens. My computer either freezes or nothing happens at all. Any ideas on how to fix this problem?
Account Disabled with 16,918 posts.

29-Apr-2009, 12:23 AM #2
does this only happen when you try to open the file from the downloads window or does it happen as well when you navigate to the desk top to open it

29-Apr-2009, 08:26 PM #3
Both.... Sometimes I can't even open files from the download window. If I am able to open the file from the downloads window I can't open it from the desktop after installation.
Member with 51 posts.

29-Apr-2009, 08:58 PM #4
make sure you have your security settings set to default... go to internet settings and go to the security tab and click "Reset all zones to Default level"

YEAH... ANTI OBAMA...
Phantom010 has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 32,337 posts.

Experience: Advanced
29-Apr-2009, 09:06 PM #5
Try this reg file. Save it to your desktop and double click on it to merge it to your registry.

30-Apr-2009, 12:12 AM #6
I tried both of these suggestions. When I changed my security settings, there was no change to my problem. I tried clicking on the reg file to save it to my desktop and it was just a text file. I saved it anyway and double clicked on it, but it just brought up the text file again. Is there something I'm doing wrong as to saving that file so it can merge to my registry?
Bichey has a Photo Album
Senior Member with 546 posts.

Experience: Father of Einstein
30-Apr-2009, 12:31 AM #7
Quote:
I tried clicking on the reg file to save it to my desktop and it was just a text file
save the contents of reg file given by phantom in a notepad. Now change the extension from .txt to .reg .Then double click it

30-Apr-2009, 01:41 AM #8
I'm not sure how to change the extensions on a file.... I tried everthing I can think of to find it as an option. When I saved the file to my desktop I did notice that is was named "regfile.reg.txt". I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not.....
Gizzy   (Bill) Gizzy is offline Gizzy is authorized to help remove malware.
Computer Specs
Library Manager with 3,865 posts.

30-Apr-2009, 01:56 AM #9
It automatically saves as .txt to get around it change the save type to All files

Or put quotes around the file name and extension for example "filename.ext" so you can save it as "regfile.reg" with the quotes.
Computer Specs

30-Apr-2009, 07:02 AM #10
Quote:
I tried clicking on the reg file to save it to my desktop and it was just a text file. I saved it anyway and double clicked on it, but it just brought up the text file again. Is there something I'm doing wrong as to saving that file so it can merge to my registry?
Right click on the file, click on Open With, then on Choose Program. In the window that opens, choose Registry Editor. If you want this type of file to always open this way, put a check mark on the "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" box.

30-Apr-2009, 07:09 PM #11
Okay, I was able to successfully merge the reg file to my registry. Thanks for the help with that. However, my download problems are still occurring. Any other suggestions as to how to fix this problem?
Computer Specs

30-Apr-2009, 07:36 PM #12
Try this reg file then, or this one.
Bichey has a Photo Album
Senior Member with 546 posts.

Experience: Father of Einstein
30-Apr-2009, 08:08 PM #13
The most common reason for a piece of software not installing/running is that another program is interfering with it.

Go to Start->run->msconfig->startup-> now uncheck the items that you do not want to run automatically at startup (note that all of them can be started manually from start menu)->reboot->now install the software

also u can try by turning off anti-virus, firewall. Also scan your computer with good anti-virus and anti-spyware like avira & super-antispyware/malwarebytes.

Last edited by Bichey; 30-Apr-2009 at 08:19 PM..

30-Apr-2009, 08:44 PM #14
Phantom, I merged the other file you listed and that did not fix the problem either. I was unable to merge the third option (the zip file). When I saved it to my desktop and then double clicked, nothing happened. Very similar to my issue with downloads.
Computer Specs

30-Apr-2009, 09:18 PM #15
Have you tried downloading and installing from Internet Explorer?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!