Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Virus & Other Malware Removal Virus & Other Malware Removal
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Java Update Virus?

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Beginner
17-Sep-2009, 06:56 PM #1
Java Update Virus?
Yesterday, I did a Java Update which I believe may have had a virus in it. Now everytime i start up my computer, there is a green globe icon in the botton right corner of my screen where my time and such things are located.

Once that icon appears, my computer starts to freeze in 3 steps:
Step 1: Start menu, Tabs, and clock stop working
Step 2: Any programs that are active, freeze
Step 3: Screen goes Black and mouse cursor turns into a loading bar

After that point, my computer does not do anything and I have to turn it off. Once turned back on, my computer runs fine, until about 2-3 minutes pass by and the green globe icon appears again, and the freezing process starts all over again.

I have tried deleting Java off my computer, but it did not fix this issue. Everytime I try to run a virus scan with Windows Live Care, my computer freezes before it can find anything.

Does anyone know a fix for this virus, or am I going to have to wipe my computer?

My computer is a Gateway, and its running windows vista x64.

Thanks in advance:

GlassWolf

Last edited by GlassWolf; 17-Sep-2009 at 06:57 PM.. Reason: typo
Computer Specs

18-Sep-2009, 02:23 PM #2
Alright, I currently found a so called fix which has seemed to help few, but not myself. This included going to:

Control Panel>Java>General Tab
Temp. Internet Files> Delete Files
Check All 3 Options & Click OK

After doing this, I thought it actually worked. My computer ran fine for about 15 min before that globe icon re-appeared on my computer.

Also, I noticed that the globe really isn't green. It's half white and half green, with Grey lines. If I could post a picture, I would.

Hope this information is helpfull with finding a fix!
Computer Specs

20-Sep-2009, 12:43 AM #3
Bump
Computer Specs

21-Sep-2009, 04:11 PM #4
Alright guys, after messing around with my task manager for the longest time, I finally found out what the virus was. It was something from, "Relevant Knowledge" which apparently is some "Online Survay" that monitors your internet history and such activities.

Im no sure how it got on my PC other than through Java when i did the update, but i was able to go in and delete it off my computer, and it did not come back. I was finally able to run a Scan with Windows Live Care, and it did not find anything left of "Relevant Knowledge", so im assuming that it's fine now.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!