Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

RPC service won't start, not much works

(New)
(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
08-Jul-2010, 11:26 AM #1
Unhappy RPC service won't start, not much works
I am having many issues with my computer and I found this post (http://forums.techguy.org/virus-othe...pop-ups-4.html) and it seems to be the same issue. There is a script posted but I don't have access to it. Can someone repost it for me.

Anyway, here are my computer issues... I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop, running Windows XP. I was using iTunes and got an alert that there was an error saving a library or some kind of iTunes file to disk (it wasn't a file I was trying to save, I assume it was some kind of program that runs in the background). I wasn't connected to the internet, I don't even have an internet connection at home. It had been several days since I was last connected to the internet and had been using the computer regularly since then. I have to mention that I may not have shut down the computer correctly b/c the battery was almost dead and I just took it out to charge it (My AC adapter doesn't work so I charge the battery externally.) The next time I turned on the computer, there was no task bar. The sound doesn't work (just loud beeps) and half of the services that are set to run automatically aren't started. When I try to start most of them, I get error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start. When I try to start RPC, I get error 5: Access is denied. The extended view of services doesn't display and the properties screen doesn't show for any service either (properties menu won't work for most things in control panel, also) I can copy files but I can't paste them. I am able to write files through programs though (if I open an image in photoshop elements, I can save it in another location, but I can't copy and paste it directly) "User Accounts" in the control panel is just a blank screen with no options. I can see some error events in the System Log but it won't let me see the details. The first error event was Netlogon #3095 & the next several were all Workstation #5727.

Just some more info, the last software change I made in a while was installing "Nikon Transfer" and "ViewNx" software that came with a digital camera. That was a couple weeks before the problems occurred. The hard drive was replaced about a year ago, also. The logon I am using is the only user that is set up for the computer. I'm not even sure how to log on specifically as the administrator b/c on the switch user screen, I don't have the option to specify a username anywhere and there is only one user name to click on. I have a McAffee subscription.

Sorry for such a long post but I'm trying to provide as much info as I can at first since I don't have internet access at home to post more details quickly. I would appreciate any help you can provide!! Thanks!
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
11-Jul-2010, 11:47 AM #2
fixed
I'm very happy to report that I have fixed the issue. If anyone has similar issues, the solution was to reset my security settings to the default and I didn't lose any data: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313222
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
dell inspiron, error 1068, no start menu, no task bar, rpc service

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!