Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Constantly downloading

(New)
(!)

Member with 72 posts.

Experience: Advanced
17-Oct-2010, 12:35 PM #1
Constantly downloading
A problem I had before that was gone and now has come back is my computer constantly downloading. I received an e-mail from my ISP telling me I have reached my quota, and I know I haven't downloaded that much, so I ran Wireshark, tracers, netstats, and whoises to find my computer is constantly downloading from nuq04s01-in-f18.1e100.net with no user-run internet programs open. This is exactly what happened the last time.

nuq04s01-in-f18.1e100.net is one of Google's servers, which is why this shocks me. Is some hacker pretending to be Google? Don't know, don't care, I just want them out of my computer. I don't have any Google-related programs running in the background, and there's no way that it's a virus because I'm running Linux, I have a tightly locked firewall, a tightly locked router that I periodically reformat in case of hackers, and I'm extremely good at knowing spam or virus sites/e-mails when I see them.

Whatever is going on, this connection/download to nuq04s01-in-f18.1e100.net is automatic and constant. When I reset my internet connection, it's still going on. Sometimes restarting my computer can fix it, but it just starts back up again later.

What happens to my computer when this happens? An even more annoying problem to add to my quota usage happens: my download speed's acceleration becomes +/- 10-100KB/sec with plenty of jerk, and it often jumps to 0 bytes/sec and stays there until I reload a page or pause and resume the download.

EDIT: That's interesting--when I block nuq04s01-in-f18.1e100.net with my firewall, I can still connect to Google just fine. Well, if I never find a solution to this problem, there's a good workaround.

EDIT2: Nevermind. If I block that server, It starts downloading from another one of Google's many many servers. Now it's a giant monster and I'm a little mouse.

Last edited by Cadeyrn; 17-Oct-2010 at 12:51 PM..
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

17-Oct-2010, 01:14 PM #2
You have malware, please wait for someone to assist you, I'll move you there.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!