Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web Design & Development Web Design & Development
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Embed file list?

(!)

Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
12-May-2012, 02:37 PM #1
Embed file list?
Hi,

I run a website for a school where I want to provide a constantly changing list of files, mainly PDF's, for download. Currently the process for uploading is very labour intensive and I am looking for a more simple solution.

Ideally, I want to be able have an online folder that can be embedded easily into a website, possibly using an iframe?

Even better would be the ability to email the file to add it to the online storage.

I feel like this should be easily achieved but have not yet found what I need after a great deal of searching.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Many thanks.
allnodcoms   (Danny) allnodcoms is offline allnodcoms has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 610 posts.

Experience: Advanced
15-May-2012, 05:55 AM #2
There are a number of possible solutions here, depending on your host and your current method of uploading. Many hosts will provide a "Web Drive" type application that is basically an alias to your website. Open the app and you're looking at your site files, and you can drag and drop from your local box to the remote server and vice versa. FTP programmes also provide this sort of functionality, and you can add "Favourites" (or Bookmarks) for particular folders. This is again a simple way to D&D from local to remote. These options are fine if you just need to get the files up there without modifying any other pages (a list of download links for example).

If you need to generate a "Download Index" then things will get a bit trickier. You're going to need some sort of backend script (PHP or CGI for example) to go through the folder and create the links on the fly.
The other alternative, if you don't mind who gets access to the files and don't care what the listing page looks like, is to set the access privileges on the download folder to public read only, and don't include an index page. When someone goes to the download folder (links should go to the folder, and not a file within it) the server will generate a list of files for you. It's not the prettiest of things, but it's functional and effective as a quick fix.

Hope that helps, but if you have any other questions or problems then drop us a line...

Danny
DrP DrP is offline DrP has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 734 posts.

16-May-2012, 04:29 PM #3
Dropbox or similar?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!