Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web Design & Development Web Design & Development
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Help with W3C Validation

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 1,682 posts.

24-May-2012, 01:47 PM #31
I suspect that the nav is a bit too wide. It is why I said to put temporary borders around each item so we could see.

Try this

Set the width of #topnav ul to say 560px rather than 60% and see how it is then. If this fixes it you can then slowly increase the width until it breaks and then take it back down a couple of pixels. 60% is currently 576px.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 7,141 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
24-May-2012, 01:58 PM #32
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinsp View Post
I suspect that the nav is a bit too wide. It is why I said to put temporary borders around each item so we could see.
Yep, I agree. Temporary borders are your friend since they let you know how elements are actually laying out.

Peace...
Member with 109 posts.

Experience: Beginner
24-May-2012, 09:41 PM #33
Yea! That worked, but then I added an href link reference on my logo only to have a border around it. It took me awhile to figure out that I need to add border="0" to the CSS for the logo. I also had to play with changing the padding and margins on my borders for the NAV menu and the changed content to get them to even out. Using temporary borders really helped figure out padding, margins, etc. Then I had to make sure all the pages had the same logo image size, which they didn't.

Everything is working now in all browsers and the different IE versions. I am now trying to figure out how to copy current files from GoDaddy before deleting them and then how to upload this new site of files. The only issue I have on the new site files is that in the News page, the page sort of recenters towards the right and then when you go back to any other page they move a bit to the left. I'm not sure what is causing that, the basic page html codes are all the same.

When I get the files all uploaded, tomorrow is my goal to finish this off, I'll post the new site so you can take a look.

Thank you all for helping out with this! Except for a school project I did about 2 years ago (and cheated by using a template and adjusting it), I've never done a whole web site before from scratch. I started this with a text editor then went to Dreamweaver (but that was a whole learning experience that was too much for me) and back to the text editor.

So, I was very excited to learn that techguy included help on web page development. I've used it before for hardware issues. It's great! Thank you again colinsp, you've been great!
Member with 109 posts.

25-May-2012, 11:07 AM #34
I'm done! Thank you so much TECHGUY! Visit my new site at www.bluelotus-consulting.com. It's been a pleasure
Computer Specs
Member with 1,682 posts.

25-May-2012, 12:42 PM #35
Your news page jumps right because it is the only page that fits on the screen window and doesn't need a vertical browser scroll bar. Once you have some news on there and the scroll bar appears you won't have a problem. You can always assign a min-height if you want to to force a scroll bar.

I see you still haven't resolved the # for the url You ought to persevere to get it 100%.

Glad you got it how you wanted.
Member with 109 posts.

25-May-2012, 02:39 PM #36
Colinsp - I do intend to add the # for the URLs. Just wanted to get it up today without any more "issues." Will also be taking your recommendation and using NotePad++ for my next effort. I already have something in mind

Thanks again for your help!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!