Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web Design & Development Web Design & Development
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Linking pages in dreamweaver

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 20 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
15-Jun-2012, 02:18 AM #1
Linking pages in dreamweaver
I am trying to link pages in dreamweaver using but I am getting the following error. I am creating a customized wordpress theme and I want to create custom pages as follows:

<div id="navmenu">

<ul>
<li><a href="<?php echo get_settings('home'); ?>">HOME</a></li>
<li><a href="../pages/espanol.html">EN ESPANOL</a></li>
<li><a href="../awesome/pages/enespanol.php">WORKERS</a></li>

</ul>
</div>

Someone please help. The error is as follows:

Object not found!

The requested URL was not found on this server. The link on the referring page seems to be wrong or outdated. Please inform the author of that page about the error.
If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.
Error 404

localhost
06/15/12 09:53:24
Apache/2.2.8 (Win32) DAV/2 mod_ssl/2.2.8 OpenSSL/0.9.8g mod_autoindex_color PHP/5.2.5
allnodcoms   (Danny) allnodcoms is offline allnodcoms has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 611 posts.

Experience: Advanced
15-Jun-2012, 04:02 AM #2
Morning Alphy...

Where is the Spanish page in your file hierarchy? If it's in "your_domain.com/pages/espanol.html" then just echoing out the home directory (as you did with the home link) before the current bit should do it.

Basically you are defining a full URI to your home page, and a relative URI to the other pages...

Danny
Computer Specs
Member with 20 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
15-Jun-2012, 04:22 AM #3
Thanks for the response Danny,

The spanish page is in a root folder hosted locally. The following is the path to reach it: C:\xampp\htdocs\mysite\wp-content\themes\awesome\pages\espanol.html
The echo get_settings('home') function is the default for wordpress for calling the index page, and therefore it cannot apply on the other pages. I thought <li><a href="pages/espanol.html">EN ESPANOL</a></li> should work, because it is the method used for linking to pages in dreamweaver but it has refused, giving the error indicated above.
allnodcoms   (Danny) allnodcoms is offline allnodcoms has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 611 posts.

Experience: Advanced
15-Jun-2012, 04:37 AM #4
Does get_settings() return the index page or the default directory? Either would display the home page if it was appropriately named (home / index etc...).

Try using the get_settings() first, if this doesn't work (though I think it probably will) then you could chop the final filename off of the home URL, leaving just the path, and use that as the prefix... If all your HTML is in the same directory then it's a lot easier obviously - just drop the path data completely.

Danny
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!