Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web Design & Development Web Design & Development
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Google search, meta tags, and frame dilemma

(!)

Ent   (Josiah) Ent is online now Ent is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 5,217 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
19-Jul-2012, 05:25 PM #16
Again that would depend on exactly what code the engine uses, and that changes constantly. As I understand it hyphens are ignored in searches. Plurals aren't ignored, though I'm sure Google has some way of working from the root word. You're probably best off if you focus on the root word; (such as tape instead of tapes) though you'll doubtless rank for both.
You could always just pick a search engine and plug in some of the searches you're interested in. For example, the results for umatic and u-matic are exactly the same.
crcook84 crcook84 is offline crcook84 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 276 posts.

Experience: Advanced
19-Jul-2012, 07:37 PM #17
I just did a search for google keyword plural and I found this:
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/...-language.html
I don't know why I didn't think of this before (then again, Google isn't very forthcoming that much). It definitely helps explain how Google's engine worked in the past. I imagine that, by now, they've refined their synonym system even further.

Here's an extra I found:
http://www.synonymlab.com/
Computer Specs
Member with 1,347 posts.

20-Jul-2012, 01:43 AM #18
Here is my opinion on the matter. Never design a website for a computer, always design it for the people who are going to use it.

It is best if your site has html pages filled with good copy. In your case that would probably mean that you have a product page, and on this page you could explain what a u-matic tape is and how you are able convert the tape to dvd and why this is a good idea. This should be well written, useful to prospective clients and so on.

Also try have a blog type page where you can add new content weekly or bi-weekly for instance a tip of the week: best DVD storage policies, how to revive your old umatic tapes and so on. This way the search engines will find all those important key words. If there is frequent new content, they will start visiting your page regularly and all this will help you move up the ranking order. It takes time, even years, but it works, and each time google and other engines change their algorithms, you will not find that you are knocked off the search planet.

Further to this, give pages meaningful titles. Use h1, h2, h3 etc correctly to provide structure for your pages. Don't use depreciated tags like <b></b> for bold text, rather use <strong></strong> because if you play fair and have well written copy, the search engines will place more importance on the <strong> words, thus helping you.

Also have a well structured file setup in terms of where you store your pages and how links are accessed. If you have similar files stored in a folder, over time google will recognise this and provide that information when people search and your site comes up.

Take the time to provide meaningful alt tags for your images. In the meta data, provide a clear, short summary for each page, in the description tag, as most search engines will use this as the short summary that comes up on the search pages. For keywords, choose no more than 10, each of which must appear on the actual page, even better if they are bold words. Don't worry about all the variations!

Also helpful, submit you business info with a link to your site, to things like the yellow pages, google maps and other business directories for the area where your business is.

Do not use frames or flash, as google and other search engines struggle to index such pages, but stick to html and css and for cosmetics, javascript. If you need the same heading and menus to appear across your site, rather use php to achieve this, then putting your pages into frames.

I realise, what I am suggesting offers no quick fixes to improving page rank or getting your site to the top of the list. But over time it works. Not to mention, you will actually also have a really worth while site. The actual content of your site is most important. Spend time on writing the pages up as this is what people will see and in turn the search engines will index.

Last edited by caraewilton; 20-Jul-2012 at 01:44 AM.. Reason: added paragraphs
Member with 2 posts.

20-Jul-2012, 05:38 PM #19
Smile Hi
Hi

If you use variations of keywords like u said on above umatic tape, u-matic tape,umatic tapes,u-matic tapes Now a Days it known as keyword Stuffing try to make sentence using one or two keywords in title and description tags plus the web Quality content Google will crawl your website indexing and search results .Any way avoid keyword stuffing thanks
Ent   (Josiah) Ent is online now Ent is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs

20-Jul-2012, 05:44 PM #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by caraewilton View Post
Here is my opinion on the matter. Never design a website for a computer, always design it for the people who are going to use it.
The rest of that post was good, but this is an excellent piece of advice.
Remember that even if you do get to the top of the search engine rankings, if people take one look at your site and walk off you have wasted your time. Meanwhile if you make something that builds up a reputation as being high quality, people (not computers) will be linking to your site from theirs.
Computer Specs
Member with 276 posts.

20-Jul-2012, 05:48 PM #21
Quote:
Originally Posted by hassankhan View Post
Hi

If you use variations of keywords like u said on above umatic tape, u-matic tape,umatic tapes,u-matic tapes Now a Days it known as keyword Stuffing try to make sentence using one or two keywords in title and description tags plus the web Quality content Google will crawl your website indexing and search results .Any way avoid keyword stuffing thanks
No problem. If you examine this topic, I posted some links to information regarding how Google interprets keywords and synonyms. It's rather interesting. I've optimized it accordingly. Plus, one of the links directs to a website where you can type a keyword in and it'll give you information in regards to how Google interprets it.
Member with 2 posts.

20-Jul-2012, 06:02 PM #22
You are talking about Matt and Google Guys any way they are making stupid and they dont prefer SEO because they want each and every one to use adwords or pay to Google for advertising Some how Google dont have answers of many question but any way real practice is now Quality Website Content Little bit linking on good and informative website business listing, etc well i agreed on caraewilton reply and i wish you best of luck Dear
Member with 1 posts.

21-Jul-2012, 11:35 AM #23
If you highly recommend going with div, then I'll go back. Although, I would like to make note of the other reason I suddenly remembered as to why I did frames. I thought it was a good idea as a way to cut down on making duplicate copies of the same page and hoping that the code wouldn't change as I made adjustments per what each page was supposed to say.like this site:http://www.paranoid-schizophrenia-symptoms.net/
Computer Specs

21-Jul-2012, 04:56 PM #24
Just a question, why have you created a new account?
Or is weiweigbasp not the thread starter?

In answer, frames are one way to avoid duplicate data (and therefore make it easier to update things across the site) but they're neither the only way nor the best way. Alternatives include using Server Side Includes to provide banners, menus, etc; or using PHP to create parts of the page.
Computer Specs
Member with 276 posts.

21-Jul-2012, 05:11 PM #25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ent View Post
Just a question, why have you created a new account?
Or is weiweigbasp not the thread starter?
For clarification, I started this thread, I am not "weiweigbasp", and I don't have, and don't need, more than one account.
Computer Specs

21-Jul-2012, 05:13 PM #26
I thought as much.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
frames, meta description, meta tag, website

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!